✟15,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Reading the Bible in an Age of Instant Gratification | The Road to Emmaus

This article is calling for Christians to cultivate minds that work against the effects of technology on our attention spans. We need to plead with the Lord to change our desires so that we favor meditating on the word over the quick fixes of technology. Thankfully Psalm 119 reveals that God meets those who come to him asking that he incline our hearts to his word and not to selfish gain. Hope its helpful!

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes there is a devotional dimension largely lost in the battle for mental sensibility.

Did I say that well ??

How about more heart less head.

One can be super logical and desperately deceived.

By His grace alone to we understand the Word and this is a heart gift.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very true how the article describes this time we live in. I have also thought earlier about how our patience gets shortened as well.

Earlier people would easier build up patience waiting for a letter, nowadays if a e-mail isn't answered quick a lot of people can get offended by this or upset. Patience isn't valued in the same way as it was before technology came.

I do use the phone to read in the bible sometimes when I am outside and have no bible with me, this can be done without internet connection. Although at home I read in the bible in paper book form.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are speaking of the person of Jesus being the Living Word of God - yes...

But some want to elevate the bible to that status when without the Spirit it is a dead book or worse...
Just like us ... without the spirit we are a dead book ... or epistle ...

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are speaking of the person of Jesus being the Living Word of God - yes...

But some want to elevate the bible to that status when without the Spirit it is a dead book or worse...

Yeah - but the book was never alive to as to be considered dead or alive!! The writings are writings!!!

They are sacred writings in that God told people to write what was written, and preserved those writings through the years for us to read. Never-the-less, the writing should never be looked at as being alive or dead, because that makes them an idol! An idol is something (an inanimate object) we elevate to the status of god our lives. The writings are an inanimate object not a being. But the Word of God is alive and active, so the Word of God is not an inanimate object but is God.

However, we often use the same word to mean different things. So we can call both the Bible and Jesus Christ, the Word of God, but how is it written in the Bible?

In the beginning was the Word and the Word with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God..... and the Word took on flesh... He walked among us...

So how is it we have come to call the lines of text in the Bible the Word of God?

Didn't Isaiah explain this to us?

Is 28:12,13... And "Here is repose," but they would not listen. So the word of the Lord to them will be... Line on line, line on line... that they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive

My friends you can call the Bible whatever you want, but it will become the word of God to you if you are not listening to the Lord like you should. If you are really listening to Him like you should He becomes the Word of God to you just like He was the Word of God to John. John didn't even start his gospel by calling the Christ who walked with Him 'Jesus' and John must have called Him Jesus day in and day out. Yet Jesus Christ has always been called the Word of God because He has the words of God for us and always has. All things were created through the Lord and they were created by the Lord speaking them into existence because He is the Word of God. But He is not the writings, He was the One who told them to write. He told them to write, what to write, but never-the-less the writings are not alive He is alive - and He is active. To this day He is active!

So are we listening to Him like we should? You can check that by what Isaiah wrote! If you are listening to Him then He is the Word of God to you. If you are not listening to Him then the word of God to you will be the lines of text placed in an orderly manner, yet that so you will go stumbling backwards and be taken captive.

That is why I asked - "We know the Jesus Christ is the Word of God, right?"

You need to know Him as the Word of God otherwise you are going stumbling backwards and are being taken captive! Either that or Isaiah was wrong and didn't hear from God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0