Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
holythursday1.jpg

Deepening our love of the Eucharist

The abbot gave a beautiful homily today at our 5 PM Holy Thursday service. First of all, the community understands the suffering and longing that many are feeling for the Eucharist. Perhaps for many, even the most devout, this may be the first time this is being experienced.

The Abbot asked us to think of our church, our big beautiful church, without the Eucharist. It would be a different sort of space. True, it would still be a sacred space for prayer, but something essential would be missing. The living reality of the Sacramental, real presence of Christ Jesus.

So today, for this Holy Week, perhaps many are going through a healing purification deepening their love of this sacrament.

Our faith is an incarnational one, and the Eucharist truly points to that reality. All of creation speaks to us of the Father's presence, and because of that, we consume God, becoming one with him on a deep this worldly level. We are called to become Christ, to allow him to become ‘us’, seeking to bring us to the reality that we too will become Eucharist for others, giving of ourselves in love, not in compulsion, and embracing all that that means

We also know that this purification we are going through in no way lessens the working of Jesus in our lives. We are becoming more aware of what this sacrament means, perhaps letting go of carelessness in how we will receive in the future. Routine can be deadening, prayer and a deep trust in Christ love for us will lessen that from creeping into our relationship with him.—Br.MD

Attachments

• holythursday1.jpg
    holythursday1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 5

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,287.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
`And He put all things under His feet and gave Him to be Head over all things to the church which is His BODY. ` (Eph. 1:22 & 23)

The church is His Body a spiritual organism NOT an organisation.

`Does this offend you? ....It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life.` (John 6: 61 - 63)

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
`And He put all things under His feet and gave Him to be Head over all things to the church which is His BODY. ` (Eph. 1:22 & 23)

`Does this offend you? ....It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life.` (John 6: 61 - 63)
I would say it is both.
Peace
Mark

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

1) Thank you for your reminder of the importance of Christians being the Body of Christ. However, this is the Catholic sub-forum, so please remember that all posts here must be in communion with Catholic beliefs; the "Statement of Purpose" thread gives more detail about what this means.

2) You're not actually disagreeing with Catholic theology; Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Church - People of God, Body of Christ, Temple of the Holy Spirit . Read John 6 and 1 Corinthians 10-12 to get an understanding of the Catholic belief of the Real Presence of the Eucharist, if this is a point that seems odd to you. Reading these passages makes a lot more sense when the literal interpretation of Jesus' presence is taken into account; pray first, review what the Catholic Church actually teaches about the Eucharist; point #3 is especially good for understanding Church teaching. The Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Sacrament of the Eucharist: Basic Questions and Answers

3) If the Church is not an organization, who standardized the Bible? It was a product of the Church that went under scrupulous examination. This is one of many ways an institution of the Church is necessary for determining answers to important theological and moral questions; this article has more. I advise you & all who read this to take this article & all I have said as only a starting point; much prayer is needed to truly understand God's desires, and research can help undo the effects of our belief in things because we've always heard it that way, regardless of how Scripturally or historically accurate they may be. Pray, stay open to God's plans, and in many ways, you may be pleasantly surprised! The Church Christ Founded

May we continue to strive for God in every way we understand Him!:pray:

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How can we deepen our love when that something that we love has been yanked away from by evil intentions. Always I looked forward to Sunday for the Holy Eucharist, and evil has taken the Body and Blood of Christ away saying no going to Mass, no partaking, no worshiping. Church is essential even though man think it is not :(

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How can we deepen our love when that something that we love has been yanked away from by evil intentions. Always I looked forward to Sunday for the Holy Eucharist, and evil has taken the Body and Blood of Christ away saying no going to Mass, no partaking, no worshiping. Church is essential even though man think it is not :(
Does a soldier's wife not have a deeper love for her husband when he returns, even though he has been yanked away by evil intentions?

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I give up
I'm not sure if this is how you intended it or not, but saying "I give up" as a prayer is a wonderful spiritual exercise of surrender I've been doing. We hear all these things we should do, we know so much of it well, but sometimes, it's just too much. I give up, God. You know my heart; just take care of things while I rest in you.
Screenshot_2020-03-02-21-28-44.png

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No I give up because no one even tries to understand me but just tries to explain away. I am sick of platitudes and explaining everything away. They yanked Christ away and that is all I know, don't try to make it better.

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No I give up because no one even tries to understand me but just tries to explain away. I am sick of platitudes and explaining everything away. They yanked Christ away and that is all I know, don't try to make it better.
This will pass, sorry that you are in so much pain. It shows your love of Christ.

Peace
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums