Chester
✟18,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I have great respect for those who do good practical things to help others as they go through life, whether they are religious or not. I have no respect for those who sound off about their philosophy, religious or otherwise, but do nothing worthwhile. I am the first to admit I am far from perfect, but I do my best to help where I see a need.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have great respect for those who do good practical things to help others as they go through life, whether they are religious or not. I have no respect for those who sound off about their philosophy, religious or otherwise, but do nothing worthwhile. I am the first to admit I am far from perfect, but I do my best to help where I see a need.
The parable of the two sons is aligned to your conclusion. The Father asks a son, "Will you do a certain thing" and the son says "yes" but then doesn't do it. He asks the other son the same question, he says "no" but then does that certain thing. The one who said the wrong thing but did the right thing is singled out as being correct.

Not a license to say one thing and do another... not the point. The point being, deeds are more important than words.

Upvote 0

Quackduck

Nov 5, 2019
Chester
✟18,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
My late unpleasant in-laws were of the 'born again' dogma. When father-in-law was asked to put his hand in his pocket to donate some money to help the starving, he said he would only give money to supply them with Bibles!!!
I don't think a roast Bible is very tasty!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some people have a vocation to charity while others do not. It's wrong to look down one's nose at others simply because their vocation is different.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My late unpleasant in-laws were of the 'born again' dogma. When father-in-law was asked to put his hand in his pocket to donate some money to help the starving, he said he would only give money to supply them with Bibles!!!
I don't think a roast Bible is very tasty!
Give a guy money, feed him for a day. Give a guy a bible feed him for life. Matthew 6:24 - 34.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may like this sermon from our Saturday am service. It is Rabbi's introduction to the Book of Jacob (aka James)

It speaks to these very issues.

“The Book of Jacob” | Son of David Congregation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Give a guy money, feed him for a day. Give a guy a bible feed him for life. Matthew 6:24 - 34.

'This means,' the Master continued, 'that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that G-d will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no G-d who can help, and say: 'I will help you'."
– Tales of Hasidim Vol. 2 by Martin Buber

Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

Quackduck

Nov 5, 2019
Chester
✟18,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
'This means,' the Master continued, 'that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that G-d will help you.' Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no G-d who can help, and say: 'I will help you'."

There is no verifiable evidence any god exists, let alone has ever done anything practical to help a human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Preaching is not a virtue, imo.
I never said that it was. But preaching is a vocation. And it exists apart from charity. Those called to charity should be charitable. Those called to preaching should preach. The gifts and vocation of others are not inferior just because they're different from my gifts and vocation or different from your gifts and vocation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I made a living from the Sermon on the Mount. Starting with zero skills and retiring early on my own dime. Why not give a guy a career in Christ?

Upvote 0

Quackduck

Nov 5, 2019
Chester
✟18,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I made a living from the Sermon on the Mount. Starting with zero skills and retiring early on my own dime. Why not give a guy a career in Christ?
Making a living from the Bible seems like the sort of thing those ghastly scam merchants, TV evangelists do.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Making a living from the Bible seems like the sort of thing those ghastly scam merchants, TV evangelists do.
No. they exploit the bible. I live the Sermon on the Mount and reap its rewards.

Upvote 0