Decline of Christianity in Western Society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone offer a good explanation for the decline of Christianity in Western Societies?

The traditional church in those societies are dying. More people are turning to other alternatives for their faiths.

IMHO, I think that Christianity suffered a serious setback in the two World Wars when millions of people were killed or were maimed. In Britain and France in the aftermath of the First World War, many widows or mothers used mediums or the occult to try to contact their dead sons or husbands. The church was unable to offer an answer to the people's questions on suffering.

When the church has failed, and more people embracing secular ideas, Christianity became meangingless - a dead activity with boring rituals.

I think only when the church and Christians around the world put into practise, Jesus' teaching on love and self-sacrifice will we see a revival.

SOS

Nov 24, 2001
Visit site
✟504.00
I think in general the decline of spirituality in Western Society and the degeneration of morality go hand in hand, and is a combination of a rise in the use of technology, the embracing of evolutionary theory, and the slow acceptance of things once considered perverse.

The Bible predicts this very well:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Luke 17:26-29

"Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all."It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.
</font>

The Days of Noah are coming up to us again......

Upvote 0
re: decline of Christianity...

hmmm, well I guess that I would have to say that Satan - even before Christs sacrifice for us was devising ways to water down, twist, and otherwise destroy the truth.

Most of mainstream Christianity in the West at least, is a watered down, feel good, self centered belief system.

Gee, God loves US so much, died for US, we pray for things WE want and need, we we we us us us, the focus has shifted from praise and worship of God and learning about him to us human beings. God wasn't made for us, but we were created for his pleasure.

So, to sum up - I believe Satan began at the very beginning of Christianity to bring about its downfall by sowing in lies, deceptions, self-centeredness, image worship, false doctrins, and materialism.

No wonder many are not being fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are headed toward apostasy. A lot of the "so called" church will be all ready for the antichrist at his arrival. This is an article on the decline of Christianity in Amercia and why. I agree with it.

http://www.patriotist.com/miscarch/ja20021118.htm

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
I think people are better educated today and aren't about to believe in things like virgins having babies , hideous creatures from the 4th dimension inhabiting human bodies or dead people coming back to life or donkeys talking to people.

They watch us on tv as we hop out of our wheel chairs and begin to walk , get slapped in the face fall on the ground and are cured from any and all ilnesses and yet refuse to stop seeing doctors or rid ourselves of our medicare cards.

Oh yeah people today are way too smart to start believing in this jive...:sigh:

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Brain Damage said:
I think people are better educated today and aren't about to believe in things like virgins having babies , hideous creatures from the 4th dimension inhabiting human bodies or dead people coming back to life or donkeys talking to people.

They watch us on tv as we hop out of our wheel chairs and begin to walk , get slapped in the face fall on the ground and are cured from any and all ilnesses and yet refuse to stop seeing doctors or rid ourselves of our medicare cards.

Oh yeah people today are way too smart to start believing in this jive...:sigh:
LOL. Well, I do believe in doctors, although I also believe that Jesus heals even today. I go to the Lord first, and then to the doctor. After all, even Luke was a Physician. That is probably really part of the problem, they are to educated. The bible does say that in the last days that knowledge would increase. To bad it isn't directed toward God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WarriorAngel said:
Revelation can be read so many ways.

I prefer St Matthew 24.
I have been in Matt 24 and Luke 21 for the past 6 months or so. It seems like the lord keeps leading me there on discussions. I believe that we are about there.

Upvote 0

hlaltimus

Nov 4, 2005
Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Jesus suggested to the Jews that God might take the Kingdom instrumentality away from them, the privileged Jews, and give it to the Gentiles, a reaction must have overcome those old Jews anywhere between an icy cold chill to a red hot flush of anger and they would have been wrong in so reacting as that is just what God did do to them. Well, if God can take the Kingdom instrumentality away from a natural Jew and give it to an unnatural Gentile, (if it could be expressed that way,) why should we balk at the thought that the kingdom just might go back to those old Jews in a great end-times revival while we, the Gentiles, loose that instrumentality just as they did? I hope they do get back in on a national basis, but do not worry about my being ejected out of the Kingdom either as I have already gotten in and do not plan to exit ever.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Until I set foot in Heaven, I am not going to say that the judgement doesnt count.

ALL will be judged, and I am not sure any can claim the reward til they pass that.

Ever read the apparitions of Medjugorje? Its a curious thing.

Upvote 0

jeffweeder

Veteran
Jan 18, 2006
ADELAIDE
✟9,425.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Leadership , With so many ways of obtaining information and with all the books, maybe we are drowning in peoples opions and getting caught up new ways of looking at things.
Its like like paul saying ,i follow appollos, or barnabus. His leadership in that situation is what we lack today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

exodus19

Dec 24, 2005
✟648.00
Faith
Other Religion
christians fell away in the first century the make up of christianity, and as it is today was an aborration of the true teachings from the get go.

What does this have to do with Revelation,? Read the address to the 7 churches and correllate them to the OT.
again the 7 churche names as was written does not apply to day it's simply a figure of speech to express and address to all churches.

All faiths, all so called religions are all man made , all have quirks and all are a form of false doctrine promising false hopes.
That too was written in the OT and spoke about the latter days.

so to address what happened to christianity,

first off you must know that christainity is a word for false relgion and false hopes.

if not then you oppose the Word of God, as it is written.

a church that does not speak from the Word of God perfectly, is not really a church of God is it?

but it sure can fool alot of people.

especially sinners that like one foot in and one foot out, that said the best of both worlds might address that expression, sin and grace , isn't that all so sugary sweet,

ya Jesus your cool , you died for me a sinner and i still like my lusty life and my little power trips and my name and glory. If i could only win a golden statue, named oscar and get to thank jesus and god , i would really be happy.

YA RIIIIIIIGHT.

GO FIGURE.

Upvote 0

jeffweeder

Veteran
Jan 18, 2006
ADELAIDE
✟9,425.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
exodus19 said:
christians fell away in the first century the make up of christianity, and as it is today was an aborration of the true teachings from the get go.

What does this have to do with Revelation,? Read the address to the 7 churches and correllate them to the OT.
again the 7 churche names as was written does not apply to day it's simply a figure of speech to express and address to all churches.

All faiths, all so called religions are all man made , all have quirks and all are a form of false doctrine promising false hopes.
That too was written in the OT and spoke about the latter days.

so to address what happened to christianity,

first off you must know that christainity is a word for false relgion and false hopes.

if not then you oppose the Word of God, as it is written.

a church that does not speak from the Word of God perfectly, is not really a church of God is it?

but it sure can fool alot of people.

especially sinners that like one foot in and one foot out, that said the best of both worlds might address that expression, sin and grace , isn't that all so sugary sweet,

ya Jesus your cool , you died for me a sinner and i still like my lusty life and my little power trips and my name and glory. If i could only win a golden statue, named oscar and get to thank jesus and god , i would really be happy.

YA RIIIIIIIGHT.

GO FIGURE.
Now i see you clearly, how do you feel about judaism?

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Big Mouth Nana said:
We are headed toward apostasy. A lot of the "so called" church will be all ready for the antichrist at his arrival. This is an article on the decline of Christianity in Amercia and why. I agree with it.

http://www.patriotist.com/miscarch/ja20021118.htm
Hi Nana,

The article greatly overstates the case. In western Europe, weekly Church attendance has greatly decreased -- falling to 10 % of the population (or less) on the average Sunday. But that is not the case in the USA where most people still attend Church regularly. Therefore we are still a Christian nation and are still being greatly blessed by God, and remain the world's only super power.

US Church attendance is decreasing slightly, but even now more US citizens attend Church regularly than in any other nation. But if the presnt trend continues, i suppose at some point years from now the US will not be a Christian nation (judging from Church attendance) and then God's blessings will likely come to an end. Even now, the jail and prison population is increasing in direct proportion to the increase in atheists and agnostics in the general population. Overall however the US is still a Christian nation and is still being blessed.

Peace,

Barry

Upvote 0

exodus19

Dec 24, 2005
✟648.00
Faith
Other Religion
jeffweeder said:
Now i see you clearly, how do you feel about judaism?

another poliitcal religion even before jesus was on the scene you had all the Ol Prophets speaking out against the rebellious jews who were walking hand in hand with the lawyers and that is why God was causing so many destructive cultures to come and wipe out jerusalem, bb/c of their adaptation of idolatry in the santuaries.

therefore the foundation of judaism rising from even before christainity was tainted and so did Jesus point it our to the pharisee's and lawyers.

but christianity resulted in the falling away of the Original true followers who were more like the essenes and nazarenes.
the adaptation of judaism has been going, for hell knows how long.

Upvote 0

exodus19

Dec 24, 2005
✟648.00
Faith
Other Religion
interpreter said:
Hi Nana,

The article greatly overstates the case. In western Europe, weekly Church attendance has greatly decreased -- falling to 10 % of the population (or less) on the average Sunday. But that is not the case in the USA where most people still attend Church regularly. Therefore we are still a Christian nation and are still being greatly blessed by God, and remain the world's only super power.

US Church attendance is decreasing slightly, but even now more US citizens attend Church regularly than in any other nation. But if the presnt trend continues, i suppose at some point years from now the US will not be a Christian nation (judging from Church attendance) and then God's blessings will likely come to an end. Even now, the jail and prison population is increasing in direct proportion to the increase in atheists and agnostics in the general population. Overall however the US is still a Christian nation and is still being blessed.

Peace,

Barry

much of the increase of church attendence in the sunny south here is because of churches being built in wealthy suburbs where the towns do not offer much facility for the youngens to participate in sports and the churches build monster size churches with all the loose big bucks around and have football fields, soccer fields gynasiums, cafes and all sorts of facilities for theatre , entertainment and dance and outings. my son just came back from his annual ski trip up to horshoe in West Virginia.
he often goes to church 3 times a week. another local church draws crowds of 5000 for singles nites.

it';s huge business and for these reasons the churches are growing or staying popular.

i know in quebec canada , they are turning churches into condos, music halls and many are just plain vacant buildings.

they just don't believe in god anymore , you hardly would know there is one there.

some alien , lolololol, living in their midst,..lolol

but i have my ottawa, and bc connections ,

let's keep hope alive guys.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.