Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Occasionally, I've seen identical threads started in both the main SF/PC forum and the debate subforum, requesting that in the main forum, the topic be "discussed", while in the debate forum, the topic can be "debated" (And I'm not trying to pick on you JimB. I've seen other people do this as well ;)).

So just what exactly is the difference between "debating" and "discussing"? Inquiring minds want to know...

:cool:

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another way to put it - a debate seeks to resolve a matter one way or another, but a discussion is more open-ended, exploring ideas with no particular outcome sought.

Still another way to put it—you debate, I discuss. That’s generally how these terms are defined (and I’m just discussing here; not debating … of course).

~Jim
The map is not the territory.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, discussion is about sharing thoughts, enjoying the journey, listening to others' points of view with respect even if you then put forward a differing opinion.

Debate is about resolving the matter.
That is neither better nor worse - there is place, need even, for both. They are two quite different things, but because a lot of people don't realise this, or grasp which is which, we run into tantrums and fisticuffs way too often when a thread's purpose is not clear to all.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
discussion is when a hat is passed, everyone throws in their offering, and passes the hat to the next person.

debate is when we all sit down, dump out the contents of the hat, and count it.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
A discussion is a formal discourse between two or more people to form a synthesis of ideas that leads to a formation of thinking that is greater than the parts of each individual person's viewpoint.

Debate is what defish takes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To me, the main difference between debate and discussion, at least concerning this forum, is that debate is trying to prove someones belief in something is wrong and trying to prove what you believe is right. In a discussion, although you may disagree and state that disagreement, the purpose of the discussion is to share your thoughts, feelings, and beliefs. I think TLIMB said it better with this:
"The way I see it, discussion is about sharing thoughts, enjoying the journey, listening to others' points of view with respect even if you then put forward a differing opinion." :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are all good replies. Thank you.

So then, understanding that all of us are born-again, Spirit-Filled, Charismatic believers, should we be "debating" or "discussing" things?

Should we ever set out with the intent to prove someone else wrong and ourselves right, or would that perhaps be considered "haughty"?

More thoughts?

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Should we ever set out with the intent to prove someone else wrong and ourselves right, or would that perhaps be considered "haughty"?

More thoughts?

Would it not perhaps rather be considered evangelism?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would it not perhaps rather be considered evangelism?

Well, I should be more clear...

I'm talking about in this forum. Per the rules of this forum, you must be a Spirit-Filled, Charismatic Christian to post here. Therefore, we've all already been "evangelized". ;)

Is there any one of us that is 100% "right", insomuch as we don't need anyone else's viewpoint or revelation from God to help mold us more into His likeness?

See, God has been really dealing with me regarding seeing people as He sees them. I have begun to see people like this; I believe that every person in the body of Christ has something for me, directly from God. This belief has drastically changed the way I look at people. Even when it seems like there is almost complete disagreement, I am searching for the thing that God has given them for me. Admittedly, I need to work on this, as I can be pretty headstrong (hard to believe, I know... :D)

This is a big part of what the body of Christ is for. I just think that we too often (myself included) fall into "debate" mode (as it's been defined here) and we become haughty, or unwilling to consider another's viewpoint. It's a very subtle way of saying "I have no need of you, because I'm right and you're wrong."

I'm all for discussion, but I'm not so sure there's a lot of room for "debate" amongst like-minded believers.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would say they both are acceptable in there proper places. There are ways in which we as christians should conduct ourselves in discussion or debate but wanting to debate shouldn't lead anyone to believe the person is haughty, or any other negative thing, in doing so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
See, God has been really dealing with me regarding seeing people as He sees them. I have begun to see people like this; I believe that every person in the body of Christ has something for me, directly from God. This belief has drastically changed the way I look at people. Even when it seems like there is almost complete disagreement, I am searching for the thing that God has given them for me. Admittedly, I need to work on this, as I can be pretty headstrong (hard to believe, I know... :D)

This is a big part of what the body of Christ is for. I just think that we too often (myself included) fall into "debate" mode (as it's been defined here) and we become haughty, or unwilling to consider another's viewpoint. It's a very subtle way of saying "I have no need of you, because I'm right and you're wrong."
If those are the emotions you feel when you are in debate then I would suggest you end the debate and seek the true purpose for why you desire to debate in the first place. Otherwise, what you said there Pete is not necessarily true for averyone who likes to get into debates over subjects where there isn't agreement on. Some people get into debate for the sole purpose of setting the record straight on what they believe and this often times must include stating and showing people why they are wrong in what they believe.

I'm all for discussion, but I'm not so sure there's a lot of room for "debate" amongst like-minded believers.

As christians we can all find agreement on somethings and even if we have to dig down deep I think we can all find something we disagree on. Debate is for those things we disagree on that we hold dear to us, that we feel is important enough to tell someone that they are wrong in what they believe, and here is why you are wrong.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If those are the emotions you feel when you are in debate then I would suggest you end the debate and seek the true purpose for why you desire to debate in the first place. Otherwise, what you said there Pete is not necessarily true for averyone who likes to get into debates over subjects where there isn't agreement on.

Remember, I'm going by the definitions posted here. By that definition, the intent of "debate" is to prove someone wrong. IOW, if I am to go by that definition, I am convinced that I am 100% right on whatever it is I am "debating". Now it didn't make me none too happy to consider what God said to me, but He showed me that is akin to saying "I have no need of your input", at least when it comes to the topic being debated.

Some people get into debate for the sole purpose of setting the record straight on what they believe and this often times must include stating and showing people why they are wrong in what they believe.

I've been in plenty of those "debates", and I've learned that rather than trying to tell everyone why they're wrong, it's much easier and more effective to tell people what you actually do believe. Whether they accept that or not is entirely up to them.

As christians we can all find agreement on somethings and even if we have to dig down deep I think we can all find something we disagree on. Debate is for those things we disagree on that we hold dear to us, that we feel is important enough to tell someone that they are wrong in what they believe, and here is why you are wrong. [/quote]

Sure. But why don't we do that using the format of "discussion" as defined here instead of debate. I mean, it just seems to be that there is a finality of the Truth that is implied with debate that I'm not sure any of us will achieve this side of heaven.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I don't want to "debate" it, but I'm open to "discussion". ;)

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Remember, I'm going by the definitions posted here. By that definition, the intent of "debate" is to prove someone wrong. IOW, if I am to go by that definition, I am convinced that I am 100% right on whatever it is I am "debating". Now it didn't make me none too happy to consider what God said to me, but He showed me that is akin to saying "I have no need of your input", at least when it comes to the topic being debated.
Perhaps though you missed this post by me? "I would say they both are acceptable in there proper places. There are ways in which we as christians should conduct ourselves in discussion or debate but wanting to debate shouldn't lead anyone to believe the person is haughty, or any other negative thing, in doing so."

Maybe God was showing you and you alone, speaking directly to you not anybody else, that you're attitude while you were in debate is that of "I have no need for your input"? I would agree that that kind of attitude isn't what you should have in either discussion or debate, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that God was implicating everyone in that but was giving you revelation about yourself.

Sure. But why don't we do that using the format of "discussion" as defined here instead of debate. I mean, it just seems to be that there is a finality of the Truth that is implied with debate that I'm not sure any of us will achieve this side of heaven.
Well, as I said, the difference between discussion and debate is that in debate you prove yourself right while proving those who you disagree with as being wrong. Not doing that can be limiting the potential for someone else or even you to learn the truth on a matter.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I don't want to "debate" it, but I'm open to "discussion". ;)

See, from how I see what discussion and what debate is, what you and I have been having here is a good discussion, not debate. Yet you here seem to be saying you think we've been debating this, I don't think so. :)

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps though you missed this post by me? "I would say they both are acceptable in there proper places. There are ways in which we as christians should conduct ourselves in discussion or debate but wanting to debate shouldn't lead anyone to believe the person is haughty, or any other negative thing, in doing so."

I think it depends on the attitude of the person you're "debating". The word haughty simply means unwilling to consider another viewpoint. If you begin a "debate" already convinced that you are right, then you are, by definition, unwilling to consider another viewpoint.

Maybe God was showing you and you alone, speaking directly to you not anybody else, that you're attitude while you were in debate is that of "I have no need for your input"? I would agree that that kind of attitude isn't what you should have in either discussion or debate, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that God was implicating everyone in that but was giving you revelation about yourself.

What I am saying is quite often, people begin a "debate" already convinced that they are "right" and the other side is "wrong". But I think, perhaps 99.999% of the time, there is Truth to be found on both sides of any of the "debates" we've had here. IOW, instead of trying to prove ourselves right and others wrong, I'm pretty convinced we'd be better served if we recognized that we all see through a glass dimly, or IOW, none of us has the whole, full Truth.

The purpose here is not to implicate anyone. The purpose is to get people to realize that every person, even those that you vehemently disagree with, hold Truth. We all do. We all holds bits and pieces of the Truth, and I'm pretty convinced that if we'd all come to that realization, we'd have fewer "debates", more "discussions", and as a result, those pieces of Truth would fit together, and the whole body of Christ would benefit.

See, from how I see what discussion and what debate is, what you and I have been having here is a good discussion, not debate. Yet you here seem to be saying you think we've been debating this, I don't think so. :)

No, I don't think we're debating this. It was just a tongue-in-cheek response. ;)

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A discussion is the exchange of opinions without an agenda to convince others.

A debate is an attempt to get others to see things your way.

Another way to put it - a debate seeks to resolve a matter one way or another, but a discussion is more open-ended, exploring ideas with no particular outcome sought.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0