Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Rod Dreher’s book The Benedict Option, a New York Times bestseller in 2017, in which he said that “Christians have lost the culture wars” in what is now a “post-Christian nation,” has become a major cultural event. And, although it has been ignored by our country’s elite media and institutions including almost all of the leadership of the Christian churches, the book has gone on to become an international cultural event. It has now been translated into eleven languages, a remarkable accomplishment since both its setting and analysis concern the United States. Touchstone magazine recently sponsored a three-day conference to examine the options under the Benedict Option.
Debating the Benedict Option ~ The Imaginative Conservative

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Rod Dreher’s book The Benedict Option, a New York Times bestseller in 2017, in which he said that “Christians have lost the culture wars” in what is now a “post-Christian nation,” has become a major cultural event. And, although it has been ignored by our country’s elite media and institutions including almost all of the leadership of the Christian churches, the book has gone on to become an international cultural event. It has now been translated into eleven languages, a remarkable accomplishment since both its setting and analysis concern the United States. Touchstone magazine recently sponsored a three-day conference to examine the options under the Benedict Option.

i hope this becomes a good discussion thread. I have read the book and have gifted copies of it to several friends. I think it’s an honest appraisal of our current situation even for the most conservative believers of all stripes. I would also add that Rod was on “Thinking in public”, a podcast by Dr Al Mohler, president of Southern Seminary.

I wholeheartedly agree that believing Christians will need to engage in a strategic retreat while the culture around us completes its utter collapse. It’s not that we are called to become monastics so much as creating and nurturing in small cells our uniquely Christian culture apart from the open sewer that is western culture. If anyone has not read the book pleeeeease read before posting.

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the strategic retreat needs to begin with politics. Too many Christians, and I would argue one is too many, have confused their identify as a Christian with their identity as a certain kind of political American. Our allegiance is to Christ, first and foremost. I would argue, we have to get back (or go forward) to the kind of Christian mentioned in the Epistle to Diognetus:

"A Letter to Diognetus in the 2nd Century AD

Christians are indistinguishable from other men either by nationality, language or customs. They do not inhabit separate cities of their own, or speak a strange dialect, or follow some outlandish way of life. Their teaching is not based upon reveries inspired by the curiosity of men. Unlike some other people, they champion no purely human doctrine. With regard to dress, food and manner of life in general, they follow the customs of whatever city they happen to be living in, whether it is Greek or foreign.

And yet there is something extraordinary about their lives. They live in their own countries as though they were only passing through. They play their full role as citizens, but labor under all the disabilities of aliens. Any country can be their homeland, but for them their homeland, wherever it may be, is a foreign country. Like others, they marry and have children, but they do not expose them. They share their meals, but not their wives.

They live in the flesh, but they are not governed by the desires of the flesh. They pass their days upon earth, but they are citizens of heaven. Obedient to the laws, they yet live on a level that transcends the law. Christians love all men, but all men persecute them. Condemned because they are not understood, they are put to death, but raised to life again. They live in poverty, but enrich many; they are totally destitute, but possess an abundance of everything. They suffer dishonor, but that is their glory. They are defamed, but vindicated. A blessing is their answer to abuse, deference their response to insult. For the good they do they receive the punishment of malefactors, but even then they, rejoice, as though receiving the gift of life. They are attacked by the Jews as aliens, they are persecuted by the Greeks, yet no one can explain the reason for this hatred.

To speak in general terms, we may say that the Christian is to the world what the soul is to the body. As the soul is present in every part of the body, while remaining distinct from it, so Christians are found in all the cities of the world, but cannot be identified with the world. As the visible body contains the invisible soul, so Christians are seen living in the world, but their religious life remains unseen. The body hates the soul and wars against it, not because of any injury the soul has done it, but because of the restriction the soul places on its pleasures. Similarly, the world hates the Christians, not because they have done it any wrong, but because they are opposed to its enjoyments.

Christians love those who hate them just as the soul loves the body and all its members despite the body's hatred. It is by the soul, enclosed within the body, that the body is held together, and similarly, it is by the Christians, detained in the world as in a prison, that the world is held together. The soul, though immortal, has a mortal dwelling place; and Christians also live for a time amidst perishable things, while awaiting the freedom from change and decay that will be theirs in heaven. As the soul benefits from the deprivation of food and drink, so Christians flourish under persecution. Such is the Christian's lofty and divinely appointed function, from which he is not permitted to excuse himself."

The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus [Πρὸς Διόγνητον Ἐπιστολή] (c. 2nd century AD) is probably the earliest example of Christian apologetics, writings defending Christianity from its accusers. The Greek writer and recipient are not otherwise known.

Christians in the world - A letter to Diognetus | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I read the book and I enjoyed the article. Here are some excerpts:

Anthony Esolen:

As for what is to be done, Anthony Esolen pointed out that you can’t give what you don’t have. Today, what we need is literature instead of more calculators. Build the imagination, he said. Read real books. Culture must be reconstructed at the local level. Build families; unmarriage is worse than divorce; raise kids specifically to be married. Have socials; have dances every week. Most college students have never read a real book or watched a good movie. Those students don’t know what they don’t know. Dr. Esolen said that some males have never had a male friend. Work in politics because we love our country. Worship should be public whenever possible.
Rod Dreher:

In his own talk and additional comments, Rod Dreher said that the world is run by corporations and money. And the challenges of the world cannot be solved by politics, for politics gives no meaning. People desire meaning, he said. His position is that politics should not be given too much or too little importance. A spirit of permanence which is an organizing principle of monasticism should be primary in every Christian’s life. He counseled a “strategic retreat” because the resources of Christians have been widely scattered. Church leadership, even at the parish level, cannot be counted on. St. Benedict of Nursia should be every Christian’s common father.

Concerning his current project visiting Eastern European countries and preparing a book about their experience before and after communism, Mr. Dreher related several meetings and conversations with people in his visits to those countries comparing the totalitarianism of communism with imported, Western, secular, materialist, individualist democracy. Some aver that social life is worse today. Among other anecdotes from his Benedict Option travels: A Nigerian Anglican bishop told him that the Benedict Option is needed in Nigeria because the young now have cellphones. His recent talk on the Benedict Option in Rome was attended by former Pope Benedict XVI’s personal secretary who made a point of praising the Benedict Option. Mr. Dreher had been informed that certain people in the Vatican had discouraged others from attending his talk.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's interesting that none of the speakers seems to be advocating for complete withdrawal. Isn't that what Dreher is often accused of promoting?
A complete withdrawal is what he’s often accused of promoting. And there is some folks have read into. I would say that is not what Rod is saying. He’s not all that clear so I will give you that. His examples on the surface seem to suggest. Yet if you read closely he admires the discipline of those that retreat (the community in Italy) it is limited the goal of which is to foster and maintain a distinct Christian identity. Perhaps using those who are solid in their faith to continue to engage the world?

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the big take away is that we as traditional Christians cannot expect the culture to provide an environment to be able to proclaim the Gospel and by extension Christian culture. We are officially on notice that we will not be tolerated. To the poster that said that it begins with politics. I disagree. Politics flows downstream from culture. We cannot expect a friendly culture in the future to affect politics. I think that is the thrust of Rods book.

• Informative
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that none of the speakers seems to be advocating for complete withdrawal. Isn't that what Dreher is often accused of promoting?

I would say that he promotes a qualified and temporary withdrawal.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To the poster that said that it begins with politics. I disagree. Politics flows downstream from culture. We cannot expect a friendly culture in the future to affect politics. I think that is the thrust of Rods book.

I was that poster, I think. I have only listened to him speak. I haven't read the book, which I should. So, you're saying Dreher's point is the retreat (whatever that entails) begins with culture and not politics. I have no arguments with that. I was thinking primarily of the current situation in American politics and Christianity. So, that's a bit localized, on my part.

I thought his general argument was that Christians need to reclaim their own identity within a hostile culture. This can be done by living in intentional communities. Would that be, generally speaking, correct?

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was that poster, I think. I have only listened to him speak. I haven't read the book, which I should. So, you're saying Dreher's point is the retreat (whatever that entails) begins with culture and not politics. I have no arguments with that. I was thinking primarily of the current situation in American politics and Christianity. So, that's a bit localized, on my part.

I thought his general argument was that Christians need to reclaim their own identity within a hostile culture. This can be done by living in intentional communities. Would that be, generally speaking, correct?
I agree with the last point. I think we dealing with degrees of meaning and order on the first point. I think Rods point is that politics is downstream from culture. Recall even Obama ran in 2008 against same sex marriage. It wasn’t until the culture was sufficiently behind SSM that he was for it. Rod cites the Obergefeld decision as his break point. Although I can see why you wrote what you did because his interviews are nuanced to say the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Recall even Obama ran in 2008 against same sex marriage. It wasn’t until the culture was sufficiently behind SSM that he was for it. Rod cites the Obergefeld decision as his break point.

I see what you're saying. That makes sense to me, now.

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I see what you're saying. That makes sense to me, now.
Rod isn’t the easiest writer to follow either. He likes to have others tell their stories to buttress his argument rather then developing his thesis. He does that lot in the American Conservative Magazine.

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Long time fan of Dreher, though I do have some disagreements.

Rod isn’t the easiest writer to follow either. He likes to have others tell their stories to buttress his argument rather then developing his thesis. He does that lot in the American Conservative Magazine.

This is quite true. Rod sometimes seems to have issues getting the vision in his head to paper. He's definitely steeped in the narrative style of argument, which I think can confuse some. This is where the idea that the Benedict Option is almost a full withdrawal from society.

However, what Rod means is more a strategic retreat - and retreat is not quite the proper word. I know one time he used an analogy of the culture wars as a retreating army fighting rearguard actions. You are marching a hard slog knowing you've been defeated (eg: your culture is no longer even considered reasonable by the powers-at-be). So you fight by picking the places where you want to stand with the goal of keeping the overall army intact for a later time.

As Christians, we know that invincible army (Christ) will appear on the cliff top one day to turn the tide and set the world aright, but for now all we have is the old communications and know that the long-awaited army is somewhere out there, ready to show at the appointed time.

Rod's idea is that we base our current structure and institutions on others who share the same (cliche term alert) worldview. It's akin to a (legal) underground economy. You do life and business with other likeminded Christians, thereby compiling enough resources to function should the culture war get hot and folks lose jobs or be forced into compromised positions. All of this is based on older, monastic type models. And this is another spot where people see a word and seize upon it. Rod is not proffering that we all start local monasteries and become monks and nuns. It's an an analogy.

Rod did not have the benefit of the COVID-19 analogy when he wrote the book, but in the same way COVID-19 inspires alternate ways of conducting business and a focus on more wholesome things (family learning to live together, conserving resources, etc.), the Benedict Option advocates for the same. If you place your kids, for example, with other Christian families, then the idea is that they won't be come as influenced by culture. Same goes for family.

I am an Evangelical and I find a lot of Evangelicals almost revolt at this idea. However, when you explain it more, people seem to understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums