GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is a good book for Reformed apologetics. Dave Hunt (a well known anti-Calvinist) and James White (a well know Calvinist debating machine) face off over several key aspects of Reformed theology in a debate format. For instance, in Chapter One, White details "God's Eternal Decree", then Hunt gets to respond, White comments on Hunt's response, then each side gets a final remark on the topic, and then they move on to the next topic.

The only thing that weakens this book...is basically Hunt's entire presentation of the anti-Calvinist arguements!! Here's a quote from Hunt:

How could God, who is love, damn billions He could save? That isn't explained.

Hunt appears to be debating a topic that he hasn't done any research on at all.

After reading this book, I was left in bewilderment that Hunt allowed this to be published. Does he think he actually won this debate? Or even put up a good show?!

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟11,116.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a good book for Reformed apologetics. Dave Hunt (a well known anti-Calvinist) and James White (a well know Calvinist debating machine) face off over several key aspects of Reformed theology in a debate format. For instance, in Chapter One, White details "God's Eternal Decree", then Hunt gets to respond, White comments on Hunt's response, then each side gets a final remark on the topic, and then they move on to the next topic.

The only thing that weakens this book...is basically Hunt's entire presentation of the anti-Calvinist arguements!! Here's a quote from Hunt:

After reading this book, I was left in bewilderment that Hunt allowed this to be published. Does he think he actually won this debate? Or even put up a good show?!
I thought the exact same thing when I read it. Actually, I should say, when I skimmed the first couple chapters. I quickly shelved this book after listening to Hunt's worthless blather. I was thoroughly disappointed by him. White did an excellent job, however. I recently gave this book to a friend of mine. I pray the Holy Spirit will use it to demonstrate to him just how Hunt-ish all Arminian arguments really are.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I too saw this as a big problem with the book. Also, I thought White was overly harsh in his treatment of his argument. This wasn't because I disagreed with him, but I just believe that forceful words are not the example we are given to follow when supporting the Gospel. The tenor of the voice conveying the Word of God is not going to enhance their reception, as that is the work of the Holy Spirit. But, incorrect tone can deter through offending those hearing. But, his argument was well done other than that.

The portrayal of Calvinism was sound in this book, though, and is worth a read.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...Also, I thought White was overly harsh in his treatment of his argument. This wasn't because I disagreed with him, but I just believe that forceful words are not the example we are given to follow when supporting the Gospel. The tenor of the voice conveying the Word of God is not going to enhance their reception, as that is the work of the Holy Spirit. But, incorrect tone can deter through offending those hearing. But, his argument was well done other than that...

I found this to be a problem in White's book The Potter's Freedom. I read that one before I 'got Reformed'. I had read Geisler's Chosen But Free, and agreed with most of what Geisler said, execpt I believed that we could voluntarily walk away from our salvation, so that salvation could, indeed, be lost. (As you probably know, this is contrary to Geisler's view.) Next at the bookstore, I saw The Potter's Freedom and saw that it was a rebuttal to Chosen But Free. I picked it up to read the opposing view...and was appalled at what I thought were all of the ad hominem attacks on Geisler. I only got a third of the way through the book before I tossed it into a corner.

Then I got to thinking...if White misrepresented Geisler so badly in his book, I wondered how accurately Geisler had presented the Calvinist view. Geisler spent a lot of time rebutting RC Sproul's Chosen By God, so I picked up Sproul's book to see for myself.

That was my turning point. And White didn't help the matter at all. I've since come to respect White's scholarship. I have his website bookmarked and enjoy reading his blog there. I've used some of his apologetics resources. I've read a couple of his other books...I even went back and finished The Potter's Freedom!! However, my first exposure to his style actually drove me the other way.

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

hopperace

long forgotten host
Oct 20, 2006
✟125,971.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I've read the works referenced and found them great reading. The thing I get disappointed in, is that there always seems to be a good deal of talking (or printing) past each other - a bit of constructing straw men from each the other's reinterpretation, so as to appear the victor of the matter. There always seems to be a point or two either completely missed, or spun into something else.

- kib

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Agreed. I was already well on my way in my "conversion" to Calvinism but Hunt's defense (sic) of the Arminian position in this book is really what solidified it for me. White was strong in the book but perhaps a little too antagonistic... I guess it was hard not to be that way when all Hunt could do was repeat the same old tired emotional arguments. I'm with you though, GD. It's hard to believe he actually allowed it to be published. I was embarrassed for him!

You may be interested in an upcoming debate at Thomas Road Baptist in Virginia, with the Caner brothers against Tom Ascol & James White.

On the Founders.org blog you can read more about it.

As most of you probably already know, the Caners squirmed their way out of this debate. I was planning to attend and was pretty disappointed that it never happened. Ergun is a great speaker but I lost a lot of respect for him after all this went down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Koontzy

KJV Only Bible Believer
Feb 1, 2005
Indiana
✟791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As most of you probably already know, the Caners squirmed their way out of this debate. I was planning to attend and was pretty disappointed that it never happened. Ergun is a great speaker but I lost a lot of respect for him after all this went down.

I dont think the caner brothers have the debating knowledge to debate it either.....

Upvote 0