Debate with Nihilist Virus - Does Matthew Take Isaiah 7:14 Out of Context?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I propose a formal debate with @Nihilist Virus on the question: "Does Matthew take Isaiah 7:14 out of context?"

Matthew quotes from Isaiah 7:14 in Matthew 1:23 connecting it to the virgin birth of Christ. @Nihilist Virus has argued elsewhere that Matthew's use is illegitimate and possibly nefarious. I'll let Nihilist articulate his own thesis that he wishes to defend. But my position is that Matthew uses the Isaiah verse legitimately based on the organic and prophetic relationship between Jesus Christ and what's going on in Isaiah 7-9.

I propose three rounds with introductions and conclusions. So the posting would go something like this:

Post 1 - Nihilist Virus Thesis and Intro
Post 2 - ToL Thesis and Intro

Post 3 - Nihilist Virus first response
Post 4 - ToL first response

Post 5 - Nihilist Virus second response
Post 6 - ToL second response

Post 7 - Nihilist Virus third response
Post 8 - ToL third response

Post 9 - Nihilist Virus concluding arguments
Post 10 - ToL concluding arguments

I propose a maximum time limit of one week between posts. Also I propose a maximum word count of 1000 words per post. Is all this agreeable to you @Nihilist Virus?

@MarkRohfrietsch when can we get this fired up?

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,130.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I propose a formal debate with @Nihilist Virus on the question: "Does Matthew take Isaiah 7:14 out of context?"

Matthew quotes from Isaiah 7:14 in Matthew 1:23 connecting it to the virgin birth of Christ. @Nihilist Virus has argued elsewhere that Matthew's use is illegitimate and possibly nefarious. I'll let Nihilist articulate his own thesis that he wishes to defend. But my position is that Matthew uses the Isaiah verse legitimately based on the organic and prophetic relationship between Jesus Christ and what's going on in Isaiah 7-9.

I propose three rounds with introductions and conclusions. So the posting would go something like this:

Post 1 - Nihilist Virus Thesis and Intro
Post 2 - ToL Thesis and Intro

Post 3 - Nihilist Virus first response
Post 4 - ToL first response

Post 5 - Nihilist Virus second response
Post 6 - ToL second response

Post 7 - Nihilist Virus third response
Post 8 - ToL third response

Post 9 - Nihilist Virus concluding arguments
Post 10 - ToL concluding arguments

I propose a maximum time limit of one week between posts. Also I propose a maximum word count of 1000 words per post. Is all this agreeable to you @Nihilist Virus?

@MarkRohfrietsch when can we get this fired up?

I will set this up before the end of the weekend. Thanks!

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,465.00
Faith
Atheist
The title is posted as "Does Matthew take Isaiah 7:14 out of context?" If you are taking the affirmative, doesn't that mean you answer the question "yes"?

Maybe I don't understand what the debate really is (I haven't read the original proposal), but I'd assume the believer would answer "no."

ETA: OK, I see what you mean. I think that the title should be edited to conform what you are actually arguing.

Upvote 0