USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's one of the best sources I've found for the countdown of the days before Christ's crucifixion, and then time of His resurrection. It's from the 19th century Christian scholar E.W. Bullinger:

Six Days Before the Passover (John 12:1) - Appendix to the Companion Bible

Christ's time of death fulfilled the time for Israel's passover sacrifice which God originally gave to the children of Israel when protected from the angel of death to force Pharaoh to letting them leave Egypt. Exodus 12 gives God's requirement for holding the passover.

In 1 Corinthians 5:7, Apostle Paul said, "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:". That means Lord Jesus became our Christian Passover Lamb sacrificed for us on His cross.

It also means Christ fulfilled it at the required timing that The Father gave in Exodus 12 to the children of Israel while in Egypt. Lord Jesus died at the time of the evening on the 14th of Nissan, which was the required time Israel was to sacrifice the passover lamb in Egypt.

The true timing of the days from His crucifixion to the time He was raised is per the Hebrew reckoning for a 24 hour period, which was figured from sunset to sunset. Bullinger points this out that not following that Hebrew timing as being one of the main errors caused in not understanding New Testament Scripture about our Lord Jesus' days leading up to His death and resurrection.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's one of the best sources I've found for the countdown of the days before Christ's crucifixion, and then time of His resurrection. It's from the 19th century Christian scholar E.W. Bullinger:

Christ's time of death fulfilled the time for Israel's passover sacrifice which God originally gave to the children of Israel when protected from the angel of death to force Pharaoh to letting them leave Egypt. Exodus 12 gives God's requirement for holding the passover.

In 1 Corinthians 5:7, Apostle Paul said, "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:". That means Lord Jesus became our Christian Passover Lamb sacrificed for us on His cross.

It also means Christ fulfilled it at the required timing that The Father gave in Exodus 12 to the children of Israel while in Egypt. Lord Jesus died at the time of the evening on the 14th of Nissan, which was the required time Israel was to sacrifice the passover lamb in Egypt.

The true timing of the days from His crucifixion to the time He was raised is per the Hebrew reckoning for a 24 hour period, which was figured from sunset to sunset. Bullinger points this out that not following that Hebrew timing as being one of the main errors caused in not understanding New Testament Scripture about our Lord Jesus' days leading up to His death and resurrection.
My understanding of the expression "on the third day" is that it does not refer to a 72 hour period.
1st day, crucified and laid to rest.
2nd day, in the earth
3rd day, resurrected.

I have experienced the "third day" principle on many occasions in my seeking Truth.
I will pray for understanding in regards to something being studied in the scriptures.
By the second day, I have moved on in my devotions, and thoughts on what I had
been seeking the previous day fade into a new day, and daily bread.
On the third day, with no conscious effort, I will be shown something in the scriptures
that bring perfect clarity to what I had been seeking and prayed about the day before
yesterday. By this I know that I did not find what I was seeking in my own ability, or
sufficiency, but the Lord provided in His Sovereignty, which gives boldness and certainty
in the receiving, while avoiding dogmatic views of my own.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My understanding of the expression "on the third day" is that it does not refer to a 72 hour period.
1st day, crucified and laid to rest.
2nd day, in the earth
3rd day, resurrected.

I have experienced the "third day" principle on many occasions in my seeking Truth.
I will pray for understanding in regards to something being studied in the scriptures.
By the second day, I have moved on in my devotions, and thoughts on what I had
been seeking the previous day fade into a new day, and daily bread.
On the third day, with no conscious effort, I will be shown something in the scriptures
that bring perfect clarity to what I had been seeking and prayed about the day before
yesterday. By this I know that I did not find what I was seeking in my own ability, or
sufficiency, but the Lord provided in His Sovereignty, which gives boldness and certainty
in the receiving, while avoiding dogmatic views of my own.

I have to defer to what our Lord Jesus said with "three days and three nights", which does point to a period of 72 hours. I think just the expression "third day" by itself can mislead.

Although I recognize the purpose for Easter celebration to represent our Lord Jesus' death and resurrection, I also realize how man often takes basic truths and tweaks them creating their own traditions. It's just a part of the corruptions of this present world.

Jesus Christ is our Passover Lamb sacrificed for us like Paul said in 1 Corinthians 5:7, and His crucifixion fit the timing God gave Israel for the passover in Egypt.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus Christ is our Passover Lamb sacrificed for us like Paul said in 1 Corinthians 5:7, and His crucifixion fit the timing God gave Israel for the passover in Egypt.
Sorry, my comment was off topic. Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us, in that
I will rejoice and be glad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davy
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Mostly happens due to misunderstanding about sabbath , people do not realise it was multiple high sabbaths followed by normal sabbath not just 1 sabbath.
Each of these sabbaths was meant to proclaim a certain feast which Christ was fulfilling so passover , firstfruits , unleven bread ect.

Upvote 0