1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dear American friends

Discussion in 'United States Regional Forum' started by Olmhinlu, May 4, 2020.

1. Olmhinlu

Olmhinlu Well-Known Member

+1,326
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Is it true that you drink soda from small buckets?

(EDIT: To be clear: I believe "soda" is your local lingo for a soft/carbonated beverage)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+43,585
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Bottles, cans and/or glasses, yes. Small buckets? I haven't seen, nor have I heard of anyone drinking soda from a bucket here .. though I'm sure someone has.

We chill bottles of Champagne in small buckets filled with ice however :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Michie

Michie Standing by the Ukraine. Supporter

+48,265
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I bet he is referring to those 32 ounce cups. Might as well be a bucket.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. GaveMeJoy

GaveMeJoy Well-Known Member

+662
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    There is a common convenience store here in all states called Seven Eleven, and they sell refillable buckets that people pay like $1 to fill up again and again. I think they are 64 ounces and they look like little coolers or a giant thermos and the fat people guzzle them down all day.
    Lord help us.

5. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,307
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Jumbo size looks like a small bucket to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+6,270
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

I just checked. 64 fluid ounces is equivalent to 1.9 litres!

OB

7. Olmhinlu

Olmhinlu Well-Known Member

+1,326
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    If I've converted your numbers correctly, that corresponds to approx. 1 - 2L in the modern measure. Is that typically consumed by one person in one sitting? Or is that consumed over multiple sessions/shared between several people?

8. GaveMeJoy

+662
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Not shared. People pick it up and keep it in their car or house drinking throughout the day

9. GaveMeJoy

+662
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    But seven eleven and those places have the big rubber multiple use refillable 50 something ounce ones they literally look like buckets

10. Michie

Michie Standing by the Ukraine. Supporter

+48,265
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I don’t drink soda or have a local 7-11 so I never noticed those.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  11. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,635
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Only in the red areas on this map:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    In my day (40's and 50's in Wisconsin) we called it "pop", from the sound made when you took the cap off.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  13. Harold Repass

Harold Repass New Member

+2
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Very nice all done.

14. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional, Liturgical, Wesleyan, Orthodox Supporter

+3,160
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Celibate
    Umm no. Cans, bottles or cups, yes, even empty glass jars at some restaurants which serve that and American style non-carbonated lemonade (lemon juice sweetened with sugar and diluted with in carbonated tap water), but buckets, no. The soda would go flat before you could finish it! This is why instead we have this wonderful uniquely North American concept called the “free refill.”

15. The Liturgist

+3,160
    United States
    Celibate
    Pop is also dominant in the areas of Canada immediately to the North of the blue area, interestingly.

16. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+8,767
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    A friend of mine from college had a 64 oz mug that he carried around with him all the time. Looked like a giant mug with a closeable top.

17. The Liturgist

+3,160
    United States
    Celibate
    Well, I use Seven Eleven frequently and while they might have those, I’ve never seen one as I tend not to buy sodas to go from a soda fountain but rather prefer drinking my sodas from old jetliners (aluminum cans; this way my beloved Boeing 727s, and more recent retirees like the Airbus A340, can continue to delight me). The

The problem is with a soda even at 32 oz, it will go flat. So people guzzling them down all day would basically be guzzling down a flat soda, which sounds very unpleasant.

18. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+6,048
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    It is called "pop" where I live. Never drank it from a bucket. I did drink beer from a bucket once. The beer was called Foster's .

19. The Liturgist

+3,160
    United States
    Celibate
    What’s fascinating looking at the dialogue map, by the way, is the anomalous region of intense disuse of the term pop radiating outward from St. Louis. Considering the former TWA hub (how many people remember that?) is home to Annheuser-Busch, or rather was before their acquisition by Inbev, and has a majestic main brewery that is enough to earn the respect even of a diehard Belgian Trappist purist like myself (for whom the thought of drinking anything not at least somewhat associated with a Belgian monastery fills me with horror). With their disproportionate influence on beverages, and considering that pilsners like Budweiser, if memory serves, require forced carbonation because the Pasteurization which separates them from a traditional lager prevents the kind of ongoing fermentation one sees with, for example, traditional Belgian ales, I would imagine they somehow dictated the terminology, but this is just a guess.