Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
how do you cope with them?
Need some biblical advice.

I mean its not as if everyone has to read more books im probably an exception being a trained librarian but..it just annoys me that so many people are addcited to tv and not even aware of how detrimental it is.

I was talking with a christian friend, wed gone on a retreat and she actually bought a book on devotions the same copy as me, so i thought to ask her have you been doing the devotions? Its only a page a day.
She goes no i havent. I ask her well what are you doing. She goes blithely, im just watching tv.

?! At that point if she was not on the phone i could have thrown something at her.

I mean what do you say to encourage people to turn off the tv and spend serious time with God?! Devotions are only one page! Its not like you have to read an entire book in a day and usually only one verse even!

Nowadays TV is almost like poison, you just can't watch too much of it.
Some programmes are straight out harmful, while some pretend to be educational. Even the latter are not
as beneficial as reading books. Besides the above, watching TV can reduce your attention span;
if you don't have attention span, you stop learning, your mind just behaves like a monkey.

Frankly, I don't watch TV, my TV doesn't work anymore -- it's analog.
I only watch DVDs, in this way, I can have full control of what I watch, without any ads.
Even with DVDs, I don't watch much of them. Books are best.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,620,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But really the issue is this friend whos a tv addict. How do you tell someone whove youve watched turn into a zombie and neglect feeding on the word of God simply cos they prefer to watch tv? And then make foolish decisions based on their lack of wisdom cos they dont know their bible?
Hi Goodbook, You can pray, and I will too, for your friend...just be a witness by your own reading. What a wonderful opportunity to promote good Christian books by working in the library! I am sure the Lord put you there, but it needs to be handled carefully and it may not be necessary to confront or challenge your friend. The Holy Spirit needs to work in her life, and that will be done by prayer.
I have a good book called 'War Room', and there is a DVD of the same name. It shows how to have a 'War Room'. This is a spiritual battle and you need a stratagy, as you are fighting that old enemy Satan.

Deteronomy says write the words on the doorposts of your house. Meditate on them day and night.
...so true, in the 'War Room' the old lady plasters the walls of her small room with prayers and promises. I really enjoyed reading it.
May the Lord bless you richly, and your wonderful ministry in the library, promoting reading. I feel as I pray that you need to promote the joys and benifits of reading, and leave the conviction of timewasting and bad influences of TV to the Lord, and he will fight the battle for you.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟97,229.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I think you should do what you can to talk directly to her about it. And then if I were you, I would try to reel in my own obsessive thoughts about her sin. If you are thinking so much about her and how to fix her and people like her, and how much better you are then her, and posting about this in every thread you post on here in this forum, then you are not focusing on your own relationship with the Lord or keeping your pride in check. Trying to fix others and make them aware of how sinful they are can also be an obsessive and unhealthy addiction.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I think you should do what you can to talk directly to her about it. And then if I were you, I would try to reel in my own obsessive thoughts about her sin. If you are thinking so much about her and how to fix her and people like her, and how much better you are then her, and posting about this in every thread you post on here in this forum, then you are not focusing on your own relationship with the Lord or keeping your pride in check. Trying to fix others and make them aware of how sinful they are can also be an obsessive and unhealthy addiction.
I'll second that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lent has started so maybe this will get people thinking on how to be delivered from temptation. We all are tempted in different ways it seems by far the biggest source of worldly temptation these. days comes from the tv.

You can place filters online on things, choose what you read, but with tv itspeople who leave it on all day, passively consume it and have no respect for others or God that really are in a bad place. And their lukewarm behaviour is not a good example.

There is an OFF button and you can unplug it from the wall!

But ive experienced violent abuse when I tried to do that once. When they werent even watching it. I think its as bad as alcoholism cos it does make people violent, disatisfied, want to buy stuff they dont need, exposure to horrible things, sexual immorality, swearing, etc. they used to blank out the swear words on tv and have standards but now they dont even bother.

Many programs are just a hypnotic form of brainwashing into the cult of the world. Thats why its called programming.

• Agree
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We have 40 days to fast until palm Sunday. If Jesus did it so can you ..use this time to focus on the Lord.

Just want to write this encouragement to anyone struggling.

A tv program is not important. In half an hour you can read a chapter of the Bible. By the end of 40 days you will have read a whole book, or even more!

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,620,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Centre your mind on the Lord, Goodbook, don't worry about others, pray for them and leave them in his safe hands. I pray for certain people on certain days every month. I love the picture in Revelation 5: 8 of the golden bowls containing the prayers of the people.

As I pray for your friend, my prayers are offered with yours in the Golden Bowls and you can leave them there, knowing that they are brought to the Father. The Father loves you and your friend.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many distractions in the world today, especially the devices made with hands which many worship; for any thing that one thinks they depend upon is what they worship; beside these is the television, media, entertainment, all of which keeps us distracted from God and His Word. The point being that although we are subject to all thins in this world, we must keep ourselves from being brought under the power of any. We may indeed use some thing made with hands, but yet at any time we can easily abandon it as nothing.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yep am praying more.
One friend is contrite so I know shes convicted about it but the other one doesnt really care and the thing ive noticed is that if anyone is indulging in their sin like its a kind of 'guilty pleasure' they expect you to agree with them so they wont feel convicted about it.

But im like NOO dont lump me in with your couch potatoism! You may like to sit and vegeatate and turn green with exposure to radiatioactive zombie tv rays, but im not like you! I can actually focus on a task, and accomplish things I dont exhibit signs of adhd and change the subject and not bother to listen to people when they speak to me like a mindless channel surfer!!!

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Often when He does it something serious like this I told the whole church what had happened how the library banned bible reading.

That's outrageous !
Banned Bible reading in your library? Do they go around to inspect everyone's book to make sure no one's reading the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums