Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will continue to be encouraging but how can i compete with tv.

The librarians dilemma.

Do you think be better to set a challenge with prizes. Like if you read a page a day, you get a sticker. I mean shes not a child but sometimes you have to start that way with people even adults. Lol

Upvote 0

Kobidobidog

Feb 24, 2017
California
✟16,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
how do you cope with them?
Need some biblical advice.

I mean its not as if everyone has to read more books im probably an exception being a trained librarian but..it just annoys me that so many people are addcited to tv and not even aware of how detrimental it is.

I was talking with a christian friend, wed gone on a retreat and she actually bought a book on devotions the same copy as me, so i thought to ask her have you been doing the devotions? Its only a page a day.
She goes no i havent. I ask her well what are you doing. She goes blithely, im just watching tv.

?! At that point if she was not on the phone i could have thrown something at her.

I mean what do you say to encourage people to turn off the tv and spend serious time with God?! Devotions are only one page! Its not like you have to read an entire book in a day and usually only one verse even!
The TV is an hypnotic tool. That is undeniable but this is also true. God needs to be in us. They that have God in them will not work ill to people. Praise people who are like that. Look for good honest words to say.

• Agree
Reactions: Ubuntu
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One strategy my cat uses to get peoples attention is to jump on the tv and turn it off. My dad then placed a BOOK on top of the tv button so she wouldnt do this.

I have removed the book and given it to a friend of a friends toddler to borrow.

If someones mindlessly watching tv i might wave my hands in front of them and they wont even blink they just staring like zombies. I think maybe one one of showing how ridiculous people look when they watch tv is to take photos of them zoned out. And put it on facebook, we need to raise some awareness!

Upvote 0

Cyprezz

Twin #2
Jan 16, 2013
✟26,923.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what if she likes TV? There are Christian networks, and sometimes the "trashy" stuff is fun. I don't generally watch TV, and honestly she's allowed to enjoy TV if that's what she likes. I very highly doubt she watches TV 24/7 and it's all she ever does. It's one aspect of her life that you know about.

You enjoy books; she enjoys TV. Imagine if someone was hounding you for reading books as much as you do. Reading a book still means you're sitting around "zoned out", engrossed in what you're doing; exactly the same as TV.

Imagine if you had picked up a mystery best seller and wanted to discuss it with someone who just waived you off as ridiculous because it wasn't edifying and you can only get that from other sources.

Sounds like you don't know the whole of this lady's life and are making judgement from one thing you know about her. I understand where you're coming from, especially being a trained librarian, but that doesn't mean that factually books are better than TV (nor visa versa).

• Agree
Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
how do you cope with them?
Need some biblical advice.

A few verses that I think are relevant:

"I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways." - Psalms 119:15

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things." - Philippians 4:8

and

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." - 2 Corinthians 3:18

In these verses we are encouraged to fix our attention on things that will help us spiritually, to dwell on the things that will lift us up to God. It's definitively possible to become so preoccupied with worldly entertainment that we lose all interest in heavenly things. Jesus told us to "remember Lot's wife" (Luke 17:32) and I think that his warning is applicable to this situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
God gave me an idea, since she listens to my book show am going to talk about how its important for people to choose their own books and read for themselves, get into good reading habits and also the dangers of television.

I'm also going to say devotions are a good way to start reading because you only need to read a page a day and then meditate on it. But YOU need to do it the book isn't going to read itself.

I am also going to say make yourself a reading corner where you go and have a space thats special to read. It could even be in a tree.

when people watch tv they actually buy sofas and couches which can cost thousands of dollars just so they can sit and watch tv in comfort. Why not have a reading corner in your living room with book shelves instead of all the couches turned to face the tv.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if this is a serious thread or not . But, if it is- you need to be aware that there is nothing you can do to change your friend's habits. You can pray for her and the Holy Spirit has to bring conviction to her life in order for her to really be changing. If you are truly concerned about her, then confront her and ask her why she is not reading the Bible or the devotional. Ask if she would like accountability in reading her Bible, agree to both read a book or couple of verses and then meet together to discuss them on a regular basis. You can be a good friend to her by pointing her towards the Lord and His word. Iron sharpens iron.

Proverbs 27: 5-6, 17
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I wouldn't try to publicly shame her on the radio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you can't afford new books there will always be people that have more willing to give them away.
Public library cards are free to residents. Make it a regular part of your shopping. You go and buy milk, go pick up a book.
Keep a pocket sized bible in your handbag so when you go in the bus and train you always have it there to read while waiting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I felt led to give up t.v. years ago. However, I have never felt led, and probably you have not either, to go around telling other people what to do about t.v. If someone asks, you can give your point of view. Briefly. But don't lecture! It's not your place. We all have so many faults of our own that it is much better to spend our time and energy focusing on those, instead of getting upset about others'. And if we think we don't have any big faults, it helps a lot to ask the Lord about that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well actually I am led because of Gods conviction and Hes giving me a platform to do it.

Its weird cos im not usually this outspoken.

I just think hes tired of so called Christians indulging in idolatry to the point where those that profess Christ go on a tv show called american (or whatever country) idol and shamelessly watch themselves do foolish things. And then watch it every week, every day and practically every hour when they not doing anything else.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One time God prompted me to go up in front of church to say something.

Often when He does it something serious like this I told the whole church what had happened how the library banned bible reading.

They were willing to have inappropriate contentography on internet in the libraries and tv with sport and cartoons but for us to read stories from the bible was not allowed.

But really the issue is this friend whos a tv addict. How do you tell someone whove youve watched turn into a zombie and neglect feeding on the word of God simply cos they prefer to watch tv? And then make foolish decisions based on their lack of wisdom cos they dont know their bible?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Deteronomy says write the words on the doorposts of your house. Meditate on them day and night.

As far as I know, many lukewarm christians dont bother doing this and watch tv day and night instead. I cant talk to them about the bible cos they want to watch tv, like kardashians or whatever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually thanks for giving me the idea of a lecture because people actually pay money to go to university to hear lectures because they want to LEARN!

If I give free lectures, those that actually want to learn will hear all about it. Jesus started lecturing at 12 years old. He had the authority to do it.

I will just need to do a pHD and then I can officially lecture too. But I can do mini-lectures since I'm a trained teacher. hmm

My lectures will only be half an hour tops.
15 minutes because I have a break for a song in between. No advertisements.

I will just say to my friend, next time she rings. Did you read the devotion for today? I found it really wise. And then before she can start going on about how she's doing nothing but watch tv I will say, can you read it to me? I want to hear it again.

It would be REALLY good if she had scripture to say to me instead of going on and complaining about stuff on tv, she has a tendency to get depressed about stuff that isn't any of her business, because its shown on tv. I don't think its good for her soul. I mean when you find that she's STILL taking drugs for it, then its pretty serious.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
the dangers of television --

one track mind
fights about what to watch
incessant advertising
worldly sitcoms
violence - in your own home
people arguing and having dramas that have nothing to do with you
focus on external appearances
you sit there and watch and then your body atrophies from doing nothing but watch
even if its christian television you then get televangelists asking for money
once a programs finished you don't really learn anything from it, just there to fill the time
you ignore your responsiblilites and use it to escape from your own life
Could be doing other stuff like making something, having a nice relaxing bath, gardening, learning, studying,

or...
spending time with God!!!

I grew up with tv. Now its internet, and video games, which in some ways is worse. But the generation that first got tv, and made it part of their daily life I notice, is just really not that bright. I do think how someone said it was hypnotic and I agree. I just think of all those hours wasted and feel sad for them cos the choices they make are influenced by tv more and more and the Bible gets relegated to a corner while the TV is like the most important thing in the living room and turned on everyday and every night.

My sister would put on the tv during breakfast whenever she was staying with me and that annoyed me that she had to watch and eat breakfast at the same time so I had to listen to a lot of crap they spewed each morning.

My quiet time during breakfast would then be interrupted by complete strangers on tv deciding to comment on everything. Instead of what God had to say.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just today was at a lecture and overheard some younger people lamenting they got way too distracted these days. I think people have short attention spans because of tv.

I do think the jump-cuts they use in tv give this false impression that everything happens at a fast pace. I know it takes a whole day to film sometimes 1 minute of tv because of all the cutting and angles and lighting involved. Everything is soundbites and appears instant on tv.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the dangers of television --

one track mind
fights about what to watch
incessant advertising
worldly sitcoms
violence - in your own home
people arguing and having dramas that have nothing to do with you
focus on external appearances
you sit there and watch and then your body atrophies from doing nothing but watch
even if its christian television you then get televangelists asking for money
once a programs finished you don't really learn anything from it, just there to fill the time
you ignore your responsiblilites and use it to escape from your own life
Could be doing other stuff like making something, having a nice relaxing bath, gardening, learning, studying,

or...
spending time with God!!!

I grew up with tv. Now its internet, and video games, which in some ways is worse. But the generation that first got tv, and made it part of their daily life I notice, is just really not that bright. I do think how someone said it was hypnotic and I agree. I just think of all those hours wasted and feel sad for them cos the choices they make are influenced by tv more and more and the Bible gets relegated to a corner while the TV is like the most important thing in the living room and turned on everyday and every night.

My sister would put on the tv during breakfast whenever she was staying with me and that annoyed me that she had to watch and eat breakfast at the same time so I had to listen to a lot of crap they spewed each morning.

My quiet time during breakfast would then be interrupted by complete strangers on tv deciding to comment on everything. Instead of what God had to say.

Some of those things are easily remedied. Netflix and other subscription services eliminate the advertisements. Fights over what to watch? Not a problem in all households. Being sedentary while watching? Some people actually exercise while watching TV. Not learning anything from it? Not necessarily true. I learn a lot from cooking shows like Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen. Violence? I choose not to watch violent programs.

Not all TV is harmful, just like not all books are beneficial. There are worthless books out there. I agree that much of TV is mindless, violent, not uplifting, depressing, and poison for the mind. But not ALL of it. Also, some people are very isolated and not able to leave their homes much, such as the elderly. While reading the Bible or listening to it on audiotape is a good thing to do, it doesn't fill all 24 hours in a day. And gardening and those other activities you mentioned might not be possible for someone who is disabled. TV has its place.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
wow God keeps giving me scripture

Titus 2:11-15
(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; (13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. (15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Upvote 0