Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God can use anyone, no matter what place they're in.

Yes that is true, He can.

I guess the only thing I disagree a little bit with on is the fact that we have to be completely "ready" before we do great things in the name of Jesus.

Nobody is every completely ready. However, it is better to build a firm foundation first when possible. A short amount of time building that foundation can make a big difference to the effectiveness of your ministry.

I'm a volunteer at a missions organisation and met a married couple with young children who were becoming missionaries. They are now living in the area where they plan on doing outreach BUT the first three years of this will be learning the language and getting to know the customs of the people. I imagine that during this 3 years of learning there may be times when they might be able to share their faith and they probably would not let the opportunity go by if it arises, however from what I understand they will not be actively doing that.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That might be good, if your sister can go with you, but I would still, of course pray about it, but also seek counsel even with your sister going with you, if she does or would, and tell either your Dad or another pastor all about everything all about the whole situation also first also, K...? And see what they might advise or think, etc, K...?

Be sure to tell them everything though, K...?

God Bless!
@rose wabos

Oh, and, make sure your sister knows the whole situation also first K, also or too, K...?

But if she doesn't go with you, or you don't have another firm strong believer with you in it, or with them, I don't think I would even consider it anymore and/or find another way, or possibly even something else, K...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

rose wabos

Nov 29, 2019
Idaho
✟8,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes that is true, He can.

Nobody is every completely ready. However, it is better to build a firm foundation first when possible. A short amount of time building that foundation can make a big difference to the effectiveness of your ministry.

I'm a volunteer at a missions organisation and met a married couple with young children who were becoming missionaries. They are now living in the area where they plan on doing outreach BUT the first three years of this will be learning the language and getting to know the customs of the people. I imagine that during this 3 years of learning there may be times when they might be able to share their faith and they probably would not let the opportunity go by if it arises, however from what I understand they will not be actively doing that.
I am in complete agreement with you. My only question is, how do we know when that foundation is firm enough?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The other thing you can be doing during your waiting time is do some research on famous Christian missionaries.

I just found this on sermon audio.

Other members might have suggestions about who to check out.

Upvote 0

rose wabos

Nov 29, 2019
Idaho
✟8,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The other thing you can be doing during your waiting time is do some research on famous Christian missionaries.

I just found this on sermon audio.

Other members might have suggestions about who to check out.
Thank you! I have considered, after college or before, going on a trip with Youth with a Mission. Please continue to make reccomendations!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am in complete agreement with you. My only question is, how do we know when that foundation is firm enough?
Sometimes you just dip your toes in the water and check the temperature, but just your toes, and if it's not right or doesn't feel right right at first, don't jump in headfirst or with your whole entire body yet until it is or your sure you can handle either the heat or the cold of it, K...?

So to speak, if you catch my meaning, or my drift...

And then, it's definitely best not to go or jump in all alone either, if you can, or can't, or don't go it alone, ever, if you shouldn't, etc, and trust me, at this point in your walk I don't think you should (go it alone right now, etc)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, thank you. I guess the only confusing thing is that it seems like God intended for me to go to the Rez with those particular people, y'know? What if he's testing me, or wanting me to grow in how I face these situations?
You still might be, but were you called to go up into the attic to play those games?
You can be called to go preach somewhere but that doesn't mean you have to go or join in with anything ungodly that may also be going on there at the same time.

This also takes maturity. Are you sure you have been called now? As in right now to jump in fully and not maybe in small steps and more later once you have grown more?

Neogaia777 said it way better
Sometimes you just dip your toes in the water and check the temperature, but just your toes, and if it's not right or doesn't feel right right at first, don't jump in headfirst or with your whole entire body yet until it is or your sure you can handle either the heat or the cold of it, K...?

Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Chatting with people who are already missionaries could also be helpful.

You could do a search on CF to find missionaries.

Or start a new topic something like Are you a missionary. I'm not sure which area of the forum would be best. Possibly an introduction topic.

Other members might know if there is a missionary forum on the site.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am blessed by your post. Thank you! I guess the only thing I disagree a little bit with on is the fact that we have to be completely "ready" before we do great things in the name of Jesus. God can use anyone, no matter what place they're in.
Humility is so important, though. I believe that is what can bar us from growing in Christ. Please pray for humility for me!
Again, thank you for your words. I am also working on finding a female mentor, my heart aches for one.
Blessings!
There is no doubt that God can do great things through young people. Winkie Pratney's Youth Aflame, written in the middle 1970s said in its introduction that the majority of believers who did great things for God were around 25 years of age. If you can get a copy of that book, and here is the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Youth-Aflame...5X50YNP71SD&psc=1&refRID=0VA53R72A5X50YNP71SD
It will bless and instruct you and give you a strong foundation in your Christian walk.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, I'm going to give context to this post so you all can understand my situation more clearly.
I am a seventeen-year-old Christian. I've grown up in the church my entire life, but I turned away from God fully around age twelve. The Lord continued to pursue me, though, and after living a very sinful life, I accepted Jesus back into my life late November last year. Praise the Lord!
I threw all I was into my faith, I go to a Christian reformed school, so my friends were fairly amused when I started babbling about Jesus constantly. I started a prayer group, and I seemed to be producing fruit wherever I stepped foot.
Anyways, late January, I began to feel a pull in my heart towards the Native American community. I had a desire in my heart to work on a reservation in the summer.
I also began to evangelize, the closer I grew to God, the more anxious I was to share his truth. Anyways, on the last day of school, I took a walk around my neighborhood, and I ran into two young teenaged girls, both close to my age. I felt a tug in my heart to talk to them. They actually asked me to sit down, and I was able to share the gospel with them. We talked for a long time, and I ended up bringing them back to my house to feed them. A couple weeks after the initial meeting, we met up again at a coffee shop, and talked for a while. One of the girls ended up mentioning that they were going to volunteer on a Native American reservation that July, and spots were open! I went home and told my parents, they were hesitant at first, but it ended up working out for me to go on the trip. Again, praise the Lord.
The church that we were going with was a very lukewarm Catholic church. They supported gay marriage, and I heard a few of the leaders actually talking about how the Bible contradicts itself. Yikes. So, it was really not a Christian environment at all. On top of that, all of the kids, including the girls I'm friends with whom I love dearly, did not live for Jesus, and most of them didn't even profess faith in Him. I believe there was a young man who genuinely believed in Jesus, but his actions did not reflect that belief at all.
(Yes, I know this is getting long, I will get to the title of this post, bear with me)
I could go on and on about how much I LOVED the Native children on the Rez. I do believe I am called to that community, but I faced such temptation on the Rez, with that group of teenagers, that I am hesitant to go back, due to my flesh, even though the Lord has called me there.
Let me explain more clearly:
At night, us teenagers would go up in the attic and play games. Seems wholesome, right? Nope. The exact opposite. Every single game that was played was incredibly dirty and detestable to God. I protested, but at the same time, I didn't want to detach myself, I didn't want to seem like a "prude." I never agreed with what was said, but I still know I committed a sin by allowing myself to be around such impurity. People were bragging about their sexual endeavors, and getting in graphic detail, and I can never remove those words from my mind. Also, I did fall to peer pressure. There were times questions regarding my sexual past were asked that I didn't want to answer, but I got pressured into answering, and I know God has forgiven me for those answers, but it still hurts me that I chose to hurt him in those moments.
On top of all this, I was really, really really, attracted to one of the boys in the group. Part of the reason I continued to play the games was because he was there. Now, I know this attraction was a little demonic, because everything this boy stood for, I stood against. I have never experienced such intense attraction to someone before. It was vile. I would lie in my bed at night, at times falling into fantasy, which never happens. There was this evil connection that we had, I can only explain it as demonic.
I will probably be going on this trip again this summer, with the same people, and I know I will be tempted, but I know, since I've grown and learned, that I won't fall into the same patterns.
I am still worried though. I hang out with those girls I met to this day, and I believe that my faith has an influence on them, but I too am influenced by them, and everytime I meet with them, I have to be careful to stand firm in my faith. Please pray for me, because I am still so impressionable.
I want to know what I can do to be in community with these people and relate to them, but not let them rub off on me. The Bible says to flee from all sexual immorality, so does that mean I flee from them? Like, for example, with that boy, should I choose to not go on the trip because he is there, and I will be incredibly tempted. I know the Lord will help me resist, but is it worth it to put myself in that vulnerable of a situation again.
Like I said, I believe God has called me to the Native people, so I know he is doing something here, I just want to protect my heart.
Please pray for me!! Comment your prayers too, and I will be praying for you, brethren. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this topic.
In Christ,
T
I got saved while I was in the military, the navy to be exact. I went from being one of the boys to the sole Christian on a warship for 3 years. At first, I went to some of the clubs and such that I used to frequent, with idea of being a witness. Wrong. No one but God knows what I saw in one place. I cannot even talk about it. I started to go to bars with just one person who wanted to talk, but there was always alcohol involved. Mostly it was fruitless, even though I was no longer a drinker.

The word says that bad company corrupts good morals. It is always easier to pull someone down than to lift someone up. Lord Jesus sent His disciples out to preach. He said that if a town received them, stay and preach. If not, go somewhere where they will accept you. You need to pray for wisdom and protection. Of course, we will pray for you too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I got saved while I was in the military, the navy to be exact. I went from being one of the boys to the sole Christian on a warship for 3 years. At first, I went to some of the clubs and such that I used to frequent, with idea of being a witness. Wrong. No one but God knows what I saw in one place. I cannot even talk about it. I started to go to bars with just one person who wanted to talk, but there was always alcohol involved. Mostly it was fruitless, even though I was no longer a drinker.

The word says that bad company corrupts good morals. It is always easier to pull someone down than to lift someone up. Lord Jesus sent His disciples out to preach. He said that if a town received them, stay and preach. If not, go somewhere where they will accept you. You need to pray for wisdom and protection. Of course, we will pray for you too.
And he sent them out "two by two" which is very important also...

Just thought I'd note that, not meaning I don't like your post, cause I do in fact like your post, just wanted to note that to her is all...

God Bless!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
And he sent them out "two by two" which is very important also...

Just thought I'd note that, not meaning I don't like your post, cause I do in fact like your post, just wanted to note that to her is all...

God Bless!
Yes, we talked about that at dinner and I realised that I'd overlooked that aspect. Too much of a hurry to get to eat! Thanks for adding the comment, it is a very important consideration.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the operative principle is that if your presence is a witness to them, you can be used of God there. But if their presence is causing you to compromise first principles, not only will you not change them, you will confirm their belief that having Jesus isn't meaningful, and in the process you will also damage your own conscience and faith.

Either find a way to give a clear and positive witness to these people, or find another way to help the NAs. If you are truly called there, God can make a way. But it is incumbent upon us to make our steps secure.

Upvote 0

rose wabos

Nov 29, 2019
Idaho
✟8,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for this post, and thank you for praying!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Broken1989

My smile is a shadow
Jan 1, 2019
Orlando
✟10,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your in my prayers rose .

Your only 17 and you have your whole life in front of you.

Keep focusing on the Lord, read the Bible and try your best to flee from the sexual stuff.

I know it’s not easy, but just take one step at a time.

Don’t look at the long road ahead cause that’s just gonna stress you out, baby steps.

I think u should find a new group or something, agreed with someone else who said that on here.

I’m dealing with Lust and it’s such a tough battle, sigh.

Pray for me as well and I’ll keep praying for u.

-God bless.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to the forums. I applaud your drive for evangelism and your desire to live a godly life.

I would like to echo the words of those who are saying to get more maturity before going into those situations. You are young. You are single. At your age those desires are very strong. That is not a bad thing, but it is something to be mindful of and avoid those situations where it could cause you to fall.

Being around "impurity" as you call it is not necessarily sinful; how you respond to it is where the sin comes in. Remember our Lord was a friend of sinners. He was around their sin but did not participate. The sin would be if you participated and started having sex with those people.

As Neogaia said, if someone can go with you, that would be good. Our Lord sent out the disciples two at a time. It would also be good to talk to your mom and dad about the pulls and desires you experience, to keep you accountable. I KNOW - no teen wants to talk to the parents about those desires, but it is important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It never will be completely firm "enough" to keep us completely safe. We have to rely on the strength of the Holy Spirit and our accountability partners. As Neogaia said, you will have to stick your toes in the water and go carefully from there.

Upvote 0

Cclun

cclun
Mar 19, 2019
OH
✟9,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with others, you should not go back. You should go with another group that is more solid with their believes and what they do there. You have just come back to Christ, and you should focus on being discipled and grow stronger in your faith, and be very picky about the type of ministry you choose to get involved in. I think you are definitely growing and have enough discernment to realize that the group you went with last summer was not a good group. You also know right from wrong, but putting yourself in that environment again will likely cause you to stumble. Satan does not like It and "prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking the ones to devour" (1 Peter 5:8), he wants to destroy you and take what is good from you. Do not fall for It!

I worked 6 summers in the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in SD (that is the poorest of all tribes in America) and know a ministry that is solid. If you are interested PM me and I can send you the info. You want a good ministry that actually share the TRUTH, or else you are not only wasting your time and money, but also giving Satan a playground to mess around with your life and your emotions.

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Rose,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. BTW I am a retired missionary with drug rehab and problem children experience. The best way is with a missionary organization, in groups of two or more.

awesome-glitter-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif

7a140f1353b8a4f0c8251bdc63a20069.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0