• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dealing With PMS as Christian Women

Michelle Schnelker

rescued child
Jun 29, 2016
Home
✟15,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Huh?
LOL

Is that all that is expected of us?

LOL
Did you think that this was what she was talking about?
Replying : It's all about social pressure at work, church and home, esp. for married women whose husband ask dumbly "what's wrong?". Maybe I have an angry feminist streak but I feel that men cannot relate to women on certain levels nor experience the insecurity of being an object of sexual harassment or rape or being left alone to raise children after abandonment or the fact women are expected to work and care for the home while the man sits and watches sports channel all night long.

Upvote 0

Michelle Schnelker

rescued child
Jun 29, 2016
Home
✟15,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Huh?
LOL

Is that all that is expected of us?

LOL
Did you think that this was what she was talking about?
Replying : It's all about social pressure at work, church and home, esp. for married women whose husband ask dumbly "what's wrong?". Maybe I have an angry feminist streak but I feel that men cannot relate to women on certain levels nor experience the insecurity of being an object of sexual harassment or rape or being left alone to raise children after abandonment or the fact women are expected to work and care for the home while the man sits and watches sports channel all night long.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you!

Raise your boys to understand then That's what I am trying to do

Upvote 0

Michelle Schnelker

rescued child
Jun 29, 2016
Home
✟15,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We're supposed to submit ourselves to one another.

We don't always do so
And in fact that is the problem
The bible seems clear that the wife is to submit to husband while the husband is to love his wife. If a women is not feeling well, she should not have to play the suffering martyr?

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My periods have been rougher since having a baby. I'm much quicker to anger for a few days before it starts. I agree that it helps to acknowledge it and give my husband a head's up about why I may be a bit impatient. He's understanding about it. I've also found that getting enough sleep, exercise, and protein and iron in my diet all help. I also try to remind myself to take a few deep breaths if I feel my temper rising. Don't be too hard on yourself.
All of this. You need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of others.

Upvote 0

Breve

Dec 21, 2016
Texas
✟20,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Self care and diet. Quite often women have fewer symptoms when they change their diet. Usually this means cutting out white flour, sugar and caffeine. Yeah i know, that sounds awful (!) but it might be worth the sacrifice to have better quality of life.

Do some research on nutrition, supplements, herbs etc. Food is medicine. When I follow a strict diet I feel a hundred times better cos my body isn't in a state of inflammation. I don't even get cramps during my period! But I'm an imperfect person and fall off the clean eating wagon a lot. There's books on diets to support the hormones out there. Take it a step at a time but you don't have to keep suffering longterm. I began my healing journey by stumbling onto Paul Croxton's Underground Wellness podcasts. Each podcast is an interview with a Dr or nutritionist or researcher who have written a book..

I am on my own journey to better health. It's not finished but I have learned that food is medicine, Drs don't know everything and I can be responsible for getting my health back myself. Blessings and good luck.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Runswithdogs
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I am struggling with a life time of Depression, Anxiety, PMS and now Perimenopause. I feel like most of the month is shot because I'm never stable nor behaving "Christlike".
I feel that it is insensitive and harsh (esp. for men) to demand a woman going through this to "rise to the occasion", "put on a happy face", "be a gracious Christian lady who always is flowing in the Spirit" being loving, giving, caring, gentle, submissive, sacrificing, etc. I am tired of fighting not being a B*#^% and ceasing complaining about everything. Surely, God has more for me in living the Christian life than this.

Those men need to be exactly the same way as they are expecting you to be, and the most critical ones are about as far from being Christ-like as they can get. Though you can pray for them, you aren't going to be able to change them or change their attitudes (that's God's job), so the best you can really do is take care of yourself, physically, mentally, and spiritually. That's not selfishness. You have to love yourself in order for you to be able to love others as yourself. If your resources are too depleted, then you simply have nothing to give. And above all, pray and keep up your conversations with God who can heal all things. (Though it may take a while in his timing, not ours.)

Also keep in mind that women are often told a lot of rubbish (even by other women) about their roles in relationships and Christianity, much of it bordering on abuse, and that can perpetuate the issues that you are currently having. A good amount of "Christian" advice is either full of unhelpful platitudes or just outright bad based on assumptions and stereotypes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums