onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If someone(s) can provide some good advice on what to do here, I'd greatly apperciate it....

My parents(both Christians) are essentially isolationists(various reasons, but it comes down really to that they trust no one, hardly even God). From the time I was five until I was fourteen, I had essentially no interaction with people outside of my immediate family(dad, mom, two sisters). That time was, Lord willing, as close as I ever came to experiencing hell.
Lonliness, depression, isolation, never feeling loved, silently crying myself to sleep practically every night, living on a mere five hours of sleep a night during my early teen years, staring at a bottle of Advil late in the middle of the night considering overdosing to kill myself, etc. I hated my parents for what they were doing, and as far as I could tell, they hated me as well in what they were doing, although I knew they believed they were loving me in what they chose to do.

The first face-to-face interaction with people, outside of family, that I had was when my sister and I essentially forced my parents to allow us to attend our church's youthgroup and Sunday School when we were fourteen. Adjusting to simply interacting with people was a tremendous struggle for me, and I still deal it a bit today(though I imagine everyone does to a certain extent, so I'm not too concerned there).

Now when I was four, I had become a Christian(or started on a journey to becoming a Christian depending on how you wish to look at it) at a VBS that our church at that time had. But I had pretty much abandoned any thought of following God when I was eight; there was no way I could imagine that any loving God could dare to allow my parents to do to me what they had done, and were continuing to do.

I got into a lot of garabage in my early teens. DSL was a hotlink to pirated movies, music, software, and inappropriate content. Those didn't do anything though when it came to helping my lonliness and depression.
But, God has interesting ways of working, and through all that garabage, essentially made me realize one thing; I was helpless to get out my depression and lonliness. Sure, I knew God existed. When I was 14, my Mom had decided to stick my sister and I in a homeschool co-op thing on Monday(she did see the value in us needing to know how to interact with people... albeit late and never any hint of apology or sorrow at what she and my dad had done), and we had a literature class on CS Lewis and I had to read Mere Christianity.
Through an amazing string of circumstances, I ended up pirating some songs by a band called Daily Planet, and just loved their music. It turned out they were going to be a band at a youth rally that my church's youth group was going to, so I signed up to go. Well... the speaker there essentially confirmed what I had discovered; nothing but God could pull me out of depression and lonliness and the black hole of sin I had created for myself. When he gave an invitation to come down and commit yourself to following God no matter what crazy thing He wanted, I finally did. I had tried everything else, and nothing worked, and knew God was convinced that God was the solution.

Thankfully, God is indeed the solution. Much has happened since that night at the rally(a little over two years have passed), and by living in God's wonderful grace daily, I am where I am today, functional, loved, loving others, and not alone.

But out of all this... I still struggle off 'n' on quite a bit with what my parents have done to me in my past(and even now, they still are very isolationist, which unfortunately makes it rather hard to have close friendships with people because they refuse to allow me the time and oppertunities needed with people to get to know them well).
I have forgiven them for the wrong they have done "in my heart" so-to-speak, yet I can't escape the notion that I must eventually sit down, talk with them, explain what I've been through, and tell them how they still to an extent are hindering me("go into all the world and tell the Gospel to every creature" is very hard when parents won't allow you to simply even speak to your next door neighbors for instance), and let them know that I forgive them and love them dispite what they have done...

Would anyone have some Biblically-grounded advice/suggestions on that last part? Should I talk with them about this? In what manner? etc.

osm

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We can't choose our parents. Your parents obviously have serious issues in their own lives. You may wish to talk with them, but all too often the last person a parents will listen to is their own children.

You are doning well. There are many questions you will have, and not all of them will be answerd simply or quickly. What is important for you, and your sister, is to learn how to work through your past, so that you both can live very different lives from that of your parents.

Bless you both

John
NZ

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Osmaker, you are doing so well to have come this far.
Never lose sight of that.

You have really been through an extreme childhood and adolescence, and are on the way to emerging as you say yourself "functional."

That is a wonder of the Lord's work, and He will continue working wonders throughout your life.

Your parents sound as if they may not be ready to deal with these issues. They sound to me as if they have become stuck in a religiosity without a relationship and so are not growing as they should be. You are very likely streets ahead spiritually, even though you are young and damaged.
Ecclesiastes 3:7 says there is:
"a time to be silent and a time to speak"

I wonder if the time is not yet ripe for speaking of these things to your parents?

You did well to work through this and forgive them, but I think you might have to wait and pray for a long time before they can understand anything like the issues you want to raise.

it is very hard to keep on forgiving people who don't repent, don't realise what they've done to harm you, or even those who suspect they have butcan't face hard truth.

Be gracious to them and keep forgiving them even so. God give you grace.

If you can manage to do this, pray for them, keep up the relationship as much as depends on your side, then the time may come for deeper discussions.

Meanwhile, can you find some of the nurturing you need from your church? Mature, older Christian men you know and admire for the their godliness?

God bless you, Susana

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Lord is my banner said:
Your parents sound as if they may not be ready to deal with these issues. They sound to me as if they have become stuck in a religiosity without a relationship and so are not growing as they should be. You are very likely streets ahead spiritually, even though you are young and damaged.
Ecclesiastes 3:7 says there is:
"a time to be silent and a time to speak"

I wonder if the time is not yet ripe for speaking of these things to your parents?
I agree with this advice 100%. It is not yet time...but the time will come and I sugegst that you wait upon God to show you clearly, 100% when the right time is and how to do it.....
One other suggestion for you is this. In the bible when people faced circumstances which were espeacially difficult they fasted and sought the Lord. There is even a passage in Matthew somewhere where Jesus' disciples who had trouble casting a demon out of a person and Jesus tells them "This kind goes out only by prayer and fasting". So consider fasting about it too because it sounds like an espeacially difficult hurdle in your life and the biblical remedy to get overwhelming victory in those type of areas is a season of prayer and fasting.

Upvote 0

malkin

Oct 20, 2004
✟396.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with you that you need to have that talk with your parents some time, so that they can understand your point of view and repent. Your parents need to realise at some point, that you're growing up and you have to make your own choices about having friends.

That said, maybe now is not the time. It's difficult to have an internet friendship, but maybe you could try with MSN or another messenger (don't get Messenger Plus! - virusy) to message people and to keep functional.

I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all for the advice. It was helpful, perticularly Ecc 3:7.

My older sister and I have setup a meeting with the youth pastor at her church to talk with him about this... I've posted a prayer request here:
http://www.christianforums.com/t1137371

Thank you again, :)
Kyle

Upvote 0