Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, as some of you may know I live in a community of around 100 christians and ofcourse not everyone treats me as I would like.

There is a girl here who is 18 years old, has aspergers syndrome (like me) and initially we had a strong friendship but we began to become less close as time went on

she says things to me which are hurtful or offensive on a daily basis and I dont want to mention it to her because it will only provoke more ire between us.

how do you deal with this?

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now here’s the catch: You cannot grow love without trust opening and upholding your heart. Your enemy will do his level best to see that you are wounded by your fellow Christians in order to break your trust and cause you to withdraw from close fellowship. Don’t let that happen! Being hurt and offended is practically unavoidable. Jesus even said that it was “necessary” that offense come.[7]

Your love has to overcome being offended at the ones who hurt you, mistreat you, fail to measure up and even betray your trust. These will be your greatest opportunities to “grow up into Christ” as you learn to forgive everyone from the heart—just as He does.[8]We need both the pleasurable and the painful side of fellowship to keep growing a heart like Jesus. Never quit and you will be certain to get the hang of loving even the seemingly unlovable!

just saw this teaching, does this mean that in order to mature spiritually I have to learn to forgive and enjoy this girls company even though she is hurtful?

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
WE need to look to the Lord and ask that He tender our hearts and help
us to love/agape others like He does.

I too saw that on Forerunner4him...as I was pointed to check it out.
It has some good things to say but always stick with scripture/God's Word.

And this one comes to mind:
1 Corinthians 5...beginning at verse 9
I wrote you in my earlier letter not to associate with those who sin sexually.
But I did not mean you should not associate with those of this world who sin sexually, or with the greedy, or robbers, or those who worship idols.
To get away from them you would have to leave this world.

I am writing to tell you that you must not associate with those who call themselves believers in Christ but who sin sexually, or are greedy, or worship idols, or abuse others with words, or get drunk, or cheat people.
Do not even eat with people like that."

Our Lord didn't associate with believers who made that their continual way of
doing things.

If you have spoken to her on the matter and she's refused to correct
herself, you can choose not to associate with her.
You already have enough on your plate with your mom being sick with
cancer...you don't need to be forcing a friendship when the said friend
isn't talking like a friend should.

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WE need to look to the Lord and ask that He tender our hearts and help
us to love/agape others like He does.

I too saw that on Forerunner4him...as I was pointed to check it out.
It has some good things to say but always stick with scripture/God's Word.

And this one comes to mind:
1 Corinthians 5...beginning at verse 9
I wrote you in my earlier letter not to associate with those who sin sexually.
But I did not mean you should not associate with those of this world who sin sexually, or with the greedy, or robbers, or those who worship idols.
To get away from them you would have to leave this world.

I am writing to tell you that you must not associate with those who call themselves believers in Christ but who sin sexually, or are greedy, or worship idols, or abuse others with words, or get drunk, or cheat people.
Do not even eat with people like that."

Our Lord didn't associate with believers who made that their continual way of
doing things.

are you saying that forerunners4him are wrong on this point my friend?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now here’s the catch: You cannot grow love without trust opening and upholding your heart. Your enemy will do his level best to see that you are wounded by your fellow Christians in order to break your trust and cause you to withdraw from close fellowship. Don’t let that happen! Being hurt and offended is practically unavoidable. Jesus even said that it was “necessary” that offense come.[7]

Your love has to overcome being offended at the ones who hurt you, mistreat you, fail to measure up and even betray your trust. These will be your greatest opportunities to “grow up into Christ” as you learn to forgive everyone from the heart—just as He does.[8]We need both the pleasurable and the painful side of fellowship to keep growing a heart like Jesus. Never quit and you will be certain to get the hang of loving even the seemingly unlovable!

just saw this teaching, does this mean that in order to mature spiritually I have to learn to forgive and enjoy this girls company even though she is hurtful?

I don't think it means you have to learn to "enjoy" being accosted by the abrasive opinions of other Christian believers, but it does mean that along the way in your walk with Christ, you will need to learn to be patient and forbearing with them as they act out in the way(s) that they do, particularly if they have some cognitive challenges, such as does this girl you're speaking about. There is a difference between being 'forbearing' and 'spontaneously forgiving.' I think many Christians get these two concepts confused. [I say this because there are some behaviors that should not be forgiven until actual repentance (and being truly sorry) have taken place.] :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, as some of you may know I live in a community of around 100 christians and ofcourse not everyone treats me as I would like.

There is a girl here who is 18 years old, has aspergers syndrome (like me) and initially we had a strong friendship but we began to become less close as time went on

she says things to me which are hurtful or offensive on a daily basis and I dont want to mention it to her because it will only provoke more ire between us.

If we can't learn to love our brothers and sisters in Christ who are difficult to love, then how are we ever going to learn to love our enemies? As such, those Christians are a God-given opportunity to teach us how to love when it is difficult. Love takes no account of its own and lays its life down for the other, so if we can be hurt by the ones that we love, then we need them more for our sake than we understand love. Love conquerors all and only love can drive out hate, so the best way to get someone to stop being rude or insulting is not to respond in kind or to ask them to stop, but rather it is to respond by complimenting her and telling what you like about her. Make it your goal to be nicer to her than she is mean to you, and even if she does not change, then you will have at least grown to be more like Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Persis

Titus 3:4-7
Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi Ben Collyer. I agree with Albion's response. If you have had a strong friendship then it is possible, I think, to confront her and tell her how you feel. Perhaps what you will hear from her is that she is feeling miserable. Maybe someone has been mean to her, and she is taking her anger and hate out on you. She wants other to be unhappy just like herself. But that doesn't justify her treating you the way she does. Whatever the answer is, if she is honest and opens up to you, if you confront her, at least you will know the reason behind it, and it makes it easier to deal with it, rather than the unknown. But there are no guarantees that she will open up and be honest. If only we knew how they would react!

I had an incident happen to me with someone recently. I have known this person for a super very long time, but I would only see them, maybe 1 or 2 times a year. This person always ignored me, and never seem interested in talking to me. They would present themselves as aloof and superior, so in essence they were a stranger to me. Naturally, I was hurt by this and felt rejected, but eventually through the years, I just accepted this and said to myself that this person had a different personality than me, and that we clashed, and that's ok. I was really ok with it because realistically not everybody can be friends.

Last year when I saw this person it was the first time they ever really talked to me, got to know me and treated me like I was a person. I don't know if it was because that person had just recovered from a very serious illness, and/or they were without their spouse, but it sure felt wierd and nice at the same time! I was in a position too to help them if they so desired, and related my own story of what I was sharing had helped me.

I just recently saw this person again one year later, and this person was friendly again, although it took them a long time to acknowledge me. They asked me how I was doing. I opened up to them about a problem I was having currently, and they were completely insensitive and bragged about things that they had or acquired that were what I was lacking. I even received some condescending advice. Prior to me opening up about my problem, we were talking about something else, and I was providing my feedback or opinion in a friendly way and they appeared offended. Because I am a recovering people pleaser I noticed this because I have a habit of scanning people's faces. Anyways, later as I was at home, I didn't feel good about this situation at all. It seemed to me that this person seems to think that only they can be superior, and that they can have opinions, and that I am not allowed to. Why? Because they were cold and mean to me when I was telling them about my problem. I felt hurt and it was really a slap in the face.

I feel like I had a light bulb moment a couple days later. In hindsight you can see that a person like this is 'winning' over you, making you feel small, but in reality this person is really an angry and selfish person and you really have to feel sad for them. They are miserable people and they cannot hold back enough self control whether it was intentioned or not. What I see is someone who tries to look and appear superior, but really they are not. I suddenly lost my fear of them, fear of them judging me, because I saw in a blink of an eye this revelation that they were a broken person, and that I had nothing to do with their comments or anything. What they said to me was a reflection of who they were, what they were judging of me was also a reflection of their heart, as well.

This helped me to separate myself from them and not take on their comments to me, as something personal. I stopped feeling bad and guilty and inferior. It helped me to realize that to let this person be a judge over me was ludicrous considering, also, that I also secretly judged her by her actions, in allowing myself to be hurt, initially. As part of the answer to the puzzle that was a very important piece that I was able to see that I was judging her, too. We all judge each other. Judging can be a good and a bad. We can go and act out what that that judge says in our head, or we can do something else with it. I feel like I have been set free from anyone judging me. I see the utter absurdity and insanity of it all.

I would say this to you. This is my opinion. If I had to see this person everyday and they were like what you described to me on a regular basis, I would try to cut them out, avoid them, or limit my time with them. These are boundaries, and they are good, and we all need them. I don't think that anyone like to be in a situation where some other person always has to be superior to you and degrades you and shows no compassion but brags instead wielding a knife into your aching stomach already. That is not a friend. The other choice is to confront them, and tell them how their behavior makes you feel. If it works out well, it could advance and deepen your friendship.

With friendships, I think in the end we should always strive to be Christlike and to be forgiving and to be generous and patient and long suffering knowing that we are all flawed. We all sin and we all make mistakes. However, if a behavior that is abusive or degrading is presented to you all the time, too often, or on a repeated basis, then I would say that action is very much needed. The other person may think that because you don't say anything, that you don't mind that they treat you like this, so they will keep on going. The person may be selfish, and not even realize what they are doing, and if you don't speak up, in some ways you are not loving them because you are letting them get away with it, and it stops their growth. Sometimes it's when we confront people that they start to respect us, as to the opposite. There are all types of other personalities out there as well, that are extremely dangerous like narcissists and sociopaths that no matter how nice you are, they will just eat you alive. Yes, even Christians. So whatever the case may be, you don't want to get to a point where you are spiraling down and deteriorating. At this point you have to evaluate what is going on, and deal with the situation with whatever action you deem is appropriate.

I hope I was able to provide you with a well rounded answer that will help you to develop what you think is right for your situation. I wish you all the very best in sorting it out, and for the very best outcome, and I wish you peace. Take care and Happy New Year!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Find out what you did to have her turn against you. It could be that there is some miscommunication that transpired between you too. She may have had a crush on you and felt rejected by you at some point. Or you said or did something that bothered her. I think it would be worth it to confront her. You could write her a letter. Let her know that her words hurt you, but ask her if there is anything you did. Apologize for whatever it was. If you do go up to her and she says you did nothing wrong and everything is fine, then it is clear she doesn't want to work things out and be friends. You can tell yourself that you tried.

Upvote 0