Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm obsessed with the idea of dealing with a jealous, backstabbing, pushy, manipulative person or group of people.

Biblically, am I to be a long-suffering person who takes the abuse as an offering to Christ? Or am I to avoid people (do not cast your pearls before swine)?

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm obsessed with the idea of dealing with a jealous, backstabbing, pushy, manipulative person or group of people.

Biblically, am I to be a long-suffering person who takes the abuse as an offering to Christ? Or am I to avoid people (do not cast your pearls before swine)?

If they're not Christians then stick to the scripture you posted, do not cast your pearls before swine.
I can assure you from my own experiences thing get difficult if you do, Avoid them if they are affecting your peace.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
biblically you are not to seek revenge. However, there's nothing in the Bible that prohibits you from avoiding people who treat you poorly or abuse you.

That's right.

And as a matter of fact, Jesus did say a teaching in the Bible to avoid / move away from people who will reject us and our teachings.

Abuse is probably the highest form of rejection.

Matthew 10:14
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Jesus Himself also evaded a crowd who wanted to kill Him - Luke 4:29-30

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

No, don't do it!

Only the devil accepts abuse as an offering / sacrifice... That's what they do in Satanic rituals!!

We are to avoid people who will reject us and abuse is probably the highest form of rejection!

Matthew 10:14
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm obsessed with dealing with them too. But I never get it done so instead I avoid them. Then they use my isolation from them as a crime on my part and go around slandering me for that too.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest problem here is when you actually care about what others think of you. Young people suffer from this way too much. It's what makes bullying possible and effective. When you get older and more confident in yourself, you will see that the opinions and words of bullies, are of no worth or validity. They are just noise and nothing more. Peer pressure is terrible until you learn to spit in its eye.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can only speak from personal experience and biblical principles deal with difficult people the best.

If someone wrongs you,forgive them. The lord wants to be the final judge of people and he keeps a record of our rap sheets. people who do wrong to Christians are general non-Christians so they have no after life protection. Gods justice system balances things out.

If they are to discussion talk with them,if not dust the feet off your shoes. No point try to fix sinners who won't listen.

If you have a grievance with another christian Jesus says this about it: Matthew 18:15-17

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Taking revenge causes you to sink to their level.
Comit them, there petty deeds/words and your feelings to God and have as little to do with them as you can.

If you have to work with them, document abusive behaviour and report it to your manager.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Sorry, it is not clear here whether or not it is you who is the subject of jealousy, backstabbing, pushiness or manipulation. If it is, the real question (which you can never avoid) is whether they have a right to be jealous, or to backstab. Manipulation doesn't work on people who refuse to be manipulated. Pushy people often want you to push back (or argue) at which point they wish to make you look a fool. So don't push back. "Don't argue with a fool. Otherwise observers won't be able to see the difference."

If it is not you who is the object of the abuse, then it may be time to speak up for fair treatment and decency toward the one who is.

We are to avoid people who will reject us and abuse is probably the highest form of rejection!

If God followed this advice none of us would know Him, or His Son Jesus.
If Jesus had followed this advice, he would not have said while being crucified, "Father, forgive them; they don't know what they are doing."
Nor would he have said, "Bless those who curse you."

And probably hardest of all Paul says in Romans 5: "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us." This assumes that we know before God, that we don't rightly deserve what we're getting. This is NOT passive acceptance of suffering; it is joyful and expectant suffering, that through the Holy Spirit, takes the "rough stone and turns it into a gorgeous diadem."

Jesus Himself also evaded a crowd who wanted to kill Him
Yes. And he avoided another one that wanted to make him King by force. (John 6:15). He did not avoid the High Priest's guard who came for him in Gethsemane, to take him to an illegal trial, and ultimately crucifixion. "while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" (Romans:5:10)

He did NOT avoid the scribes and Pharisees (or even the Sadducees) who accused him of breaking the law, tried constantly to ensnare him with trick questions, or accused him of being a "glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners" (Matt 11:19; Luke 7:34).

Has it crossed your mind that Jesus died for these people who are abusive? That God loves them every bit as much as He loves you (even if that's hard to believe). I am fully aware that being abused is not fun and is both wearing and potentially destructive.

I had a colleague who had the idea "people are not problems to solve (or in your case to avoid), but mysteries to explore." Her advice to me was to learn more about them, find out the real deep cause of their abusive behaviour ... perhaps they were/are abused themselves, and have never had a role model to show them how to respond constructuvely. Her advice to me also, was to always seek to hold "life-giving conversations," meaning talking to people (and about people) in constructive, uplifting, ways.

This is super hard, and I struggle to do this as well as I'd like to. But, believe it or not, my point of departure is another figure ... the one of the pointing first finger. When I point my accusative finger at someone ("they're jealous, backstabbing, pushy, manipulative, down right mean"), I have three other fingers pointing back at me. I am humbled every time by the thought that in certain circumstances I am just as guilty of all the wrongs I see in others. Jesus taught us to take out the log in our own eye before we try to take the speck out of someone else's.

Yes there are times when it is sensible to avoid hanging out with people who backstabb, manipulate, and are constantly mean; there are other times when we must be among them (but not of them) and ask God for the courage and wisdom to speak up against what they are doing and saying. We are supposed to be the salt and the light. As light, we must not cover up right behaviour with cowardice or silence. If you can speak up at the right time and in the right way, there is a good chance they will first snear, but will likely not do it often again in your presence, even if they continue to do it elsewhere.

Reactions: AnglicanPeace
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If God followed this advice none of us would know Him, or His Son Jesus.

Ironically, it was Jesus giving instructions to His disciples to leave those who will reject them or His Word - Matthew 10:14

The irony is the knowledge we have might be due to the disobedience of the saints - they disobeyed Matthew 10:14.

Romans 5: "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us

That's true....But make sure we are suffering as a consequence of worshiping Christ in the Spirit and in Truth and for the pursuit of Truth.

We should not seek suffering for the sake of pleasing God. Other religions also do that. It's the hallmark of blind and dead religions.

Yes. And he avoided another one that wanted to make him King by force. (John 6:15). He did not avoid the High Priest's guard who came for him in Gethsemane, to take him to an illegal trial, and ultimately crucifixion. "while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" (Romans:5:10)

Jesus also had the gift of prophecy and hears God with clarity. It's a gift only very very few Christians genuinely possess.

When it wasn't time, Jesus evaded attempts to kill Him. If you must know, Apostle Paul also did it a few times.

If they did nothing to save themselves from death and allowed themselves to be killed too soon, they would not have passed all of the important knowledge we have today.

It's sad to say many Christians do not possess such discernment and have allowed themselves to be killed needlessly before their time. That is not God's Will for us.

• Agree
Reactions: Clara Bear
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

There is a great book series, very cheap used on Amazon, and maybe at your library which starts with The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense. It is a classic and, I think, wonderful. It has many scenarios of what verbally abusive people may say, and even exercises to practice for how to deal with them.

The author never says she is a Christian but I think she is. She recommends different modes you can go into so that you are not playing the games of bullies, but respond with dignity and without being unpleasant in return.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Well.... I always think, what is the end game? So if you go and confront them, what exactly do you expect will happen? Do you think they will all bow down before you, and weep out confessions of their misdeeds?

That sounds sarcastic, but I'm being dead honest with you. What do you think the outcome will be?

I suspect that if you confront these people, words will be exchanged that will hurt you even more, and possibly hurt them, and likely will cause lasting damage.

I gotta tell you that my default answer is "Let go, and Let G-d".

Or the Biblical version.... "vengeance is mine says the lord."

Now understand I would never tell anyone to just "put up with it". There are in fact some people that do just that. They have an amazing, almost divine ability, to just put up with cruelty directed at them.

If you have that.... first count your blessing... but if you have that, then go for it, and treat them better and better, no matter how badly they treat you. That is an uncommon and amazing gift or ability. Proverbs directly talks about that:
"If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you."​
Perhaps I have a mischievous streak, but I LOVE that verse.

However, if you on the other hand are just being harmed by this, and you do not decide to confront... then move on. Find somewhere else to be. "Sorry I have to wax my goldfish today", and just be busy elsewhere. Leave it to G-d, and ghost them.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnglicanPeace

Feb 11, 2018
Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone for your time. More to the point: I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia by my psychiatrist (though I believe I have complex PTSD, perhaps in addition to that). I have been traumatized by years of verbal abuse and now experience intense anxiety and intrusive voices whenever I even consider the idea of joining "society."

Is it sinful to stay away from people?

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone for your time. More to the point: I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia by my psychiatrist (though I believe I have complex PTSD, perhaps in addition to that). I have been traumatized by years of verbal abuse and now experience intense anxiety and intrusive voices whenever I even consider the idea of joining "society."

Is it sinful to stay away from people?

We have the sin of omission and commission.

Upvote 0