Dealing with Cessationists

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. God always does what He determines according to His own plans and purposes. His primary purpose in this church age is to get people saved. Therefore the concentration of His power is in the preaching of the Gospel to the unconverted. It is interesting that John Calvin said, hundreds of years ago, that those who have the genuine miracle working power of God needs to ensure that they remain within the bounds that God has set according to His purpose. What this says to me is that true miracles and the confirmation of the Gospel go together, and the purpose of them is to give confidence in the Gospel that it is true and is of God.

Therefore I conclude that shifting the emphasis away from confirming the truth of the Gospel to the unconverted, to exclusive ministry to professing Christians, is to steer the claim of God's miracle working power away from His stated purpose.

I am not saying that the testimonies of miracle healing of serious or terminal medical conditions are false by any means, but if we examine the true ones closely and view the people who are affected and influenced, we will see that many unsaved family members and friends were influenced, realised that the Gospel was true, and turned to Christ. Therefore, even if a true miracle happened within a Charismatic environment, we would see numbers of unconverted folk being saved as a result. This is what true miracles are for.

But if a church uses claims for miracles to put their own group on a pedestal as the "true" church at the "cutting edge" of what God is doing, but no one in the unconverted community around them are getting saved, then there is cause for reasonable doubt that their claims of miracles are valid.
Healings happen because the atonement of Jesus Christ is comprehensive - it covers the complete healing of a person- emotionally physically and spiritually, and not just spiritually.

That’s why you find the same word - SOZO - rendered as both healed and saved, interchangeably in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you deal with Cessationists?

How do you approach Christians who disregard all modern miracle accounts as hearsay unless hard indisputable evidence is provided, in the form of peer-reviewed publications in medical journals, undeniable footage of a miracle, etc.?

Do you just share your testimony and hope for the best?

Do you engage in scriptural debates and go over controversial passages that Cessationists typically cite to make their case?

I just give him a friendly high-five along with every other Trinitarian Christian I know and call it a day ... :rolleyes:

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that many Charismatic and Pentecostal churches have turned themselves into "bless me" clubs instead of being what they are here for: to present the Gospel of Christ to the unsaved community around them.

Interesting post Oscarr. I'm not sure, but I've noticed that many of the most vocal cessationists, for example Justin Peters who's video was posted on another thread. They're people who say they've had experience with the Charismatic movement and say they've been burned. People don't generally react against stuff they have no experience of. Justin Peters talks about an experience with a healing evangelist and what he considered to be a false word of knowledge.

So I think the first step in dealing with a cessationist is finding out why, gleaning information from their testimony. I believe it's possible someone may have reacted badly against Charismatic/ Pentecostal things because they have been treated badly. It is possible.

The antidote may be to be kind, respectful and gentle when discussing these things. Shooting the wounded generally doesn't win battles.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting post Oscarr. I'm not sure, but I've noticed that many of the most vocal cessationists, for example Justin Peters who's video was posted on another thread. They're people who say they've had experience with the Charismatic movement and say they've been burned. People don't generally react against stuff they have no experience of. Justin Peters talks about an experience with a healing evangelist and what he considered to be a false word of knowledge.

So I think the first step in dealing with a cessationist is finding out why, gleaning information from their testimony. I believe it's possible someone may have reacted badly against Charismatic/ Pentecostal things because they have been treated badly. It is possible. God Bless :)

I think I understand what Oscarr is meaning somewhat,.. at least something I saw in our church at times when we had guest speakers.

People in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles can try to live off others, in other words, have them lay hands on you, not for healing, but for some sort of blessing or edification off of that person. A lot of this can be attributed to those people reaching a plateau with GOD and not knowing how to climb higher, or just giving up and not seeking to know, and then trying to leach off others in ways.

I don't agree with it because a person is there to edify the body by GOD's gifts in them, not try to transfer strength or whatever to that other person just because they got in line. It takes some discernment and confrontation to weed that sort of thing out as a guest speaker.

At least that was something that GOD pointed out to me.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I understand what Oscarr is meaning somewhat,.. at least something I saw in our church at times when we had guest speakers.

Yes, I saw something similar in AOG and in the FGBMFI. In some of the cases I think it's a question of pastoral needs and other situations that weren't or couldn't be addressed when there's an issue without resolution that's tormenting the person. For example someone with an unsaved spouse or near relation. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's what I meant, the body of Christ.

The gifts are to edify the body, if GOD chooses to use them to those outside of the elect, He can, but it is not a given. He's not going to have one of us who operates in them to head over to a hospital and heal everyone, they are not His.
Jesus did not heal all of the Jews at the pool at Bethesda.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@lismore, do you think hard indisputable evidence actually exists?

In my case, I could show my spinal MRI to a neurologist, who would look at me and wonder why I wasn't writhing on the floor in absolute pain. But I admit most things won't have such evidence...and even that evidence would only convince someone who understood how to read an MRI.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with Cessationists?

How do you approach Christians who disregard all modern miracle accounts as hearsay unless hard indisputable evidence is provided, in the form of peer-reviewed publications in medical journals, undeniable footage of a miracle, etc.?

Do you just share your testimony and hope for the best?

Do you engage in scriptural debates and go over controversial passages that Cessationists typically cite to make their case?

The hard-core Cessationists I've run into catigorically deny that the Holy Spirit has any continuing operation at all since the deaths of the Apostles. AFAIC, such people are no different from atheists in their arguments against the existence of God Himself, because if God does nothing, then effectively God is nothing.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you believe in 1st century miracles? Why aren't you skeptical of those as well?

We certainly have no more evidence of those miracles than a couple of witnesses (if we accept that even those accounts were not invented by writers years later). For that matter, there is no evidence of even the Resurrection beyond witnesses.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A good thing though, God is showing me that my own unbelief is also because scripture isn't enough to convince me enough to step out in what the Bible says. While I will argue for the truth of scripture, I am not convinced enough to move in it...yet.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone said something about not condescending and treating them like a first grader

That was me.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15).

'Gentleness and respect'.

Otherwise, from their perspective why would anyone want to learn from someone presenting a smug, condescending (rude) attitude?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Healings happen because the atonement of Jesus Christ is comprehensive - it covers the complete healing of a person- emotionally physically and spiritually, and not just spiritually.

That’s why you find the same word - SOZO - rendered as both healed and saved, interchangeably in the New Testament.
When people got healed under the Gospel preaching of Peter and Paul, they got instantly physically healed. The symptoms of their illness disappeared. It was as simple as that. Trouble is that most of what is called Gospel preaching is just the wisdom of man dressed up in religious clothes. If Paul were hearing sermons in most of our churches he would think that they are preaching a different Gospel than the one he preached.

The reason why there is so much analysis of how people should get healed is that no one is getting healed along with the preaching, and so the analysis is trying to figure out why nothing is happening.

Most of modern Gospel preaching is just the wisdom of man, and there is no power and demonstration of the Spirit. Of course these preacher are telling us that the Holy Spirit is working with them, but in fact, they are just pretending, and the lack of substantive evidence of any power and demonstration of the Spirit shows it quite clearly.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Miracles always confirm the word, and spirit filled missionaries know this, and heal the sick as part of evangelizing.
But it is not happening. Miracles are not confirming modern preaching, because the preaching is corrupted with the religious wisdom of man and the Lord is not working with them.

• Agree
Reactions: IWalkAlone
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

So I think the first step in dealing with a cessationist is finding out why, gleaning information from their testimony. I believe it's possible someone may have reacted badly against Charismatic/ Pentecostal things because they have been treated badly. It is possible.

The antidote may be to be kind, respectful and gentle when discussing these things. Shooting the wounded generally doesn't win battles.

I had my doubts about Justin Peters at first, but after taking the time to watch the majority of his videos, I have come to see that he is looking at the modern Charismatic movement honestly and realistically. He says that as a cessationist he is not denying miracles per se, but doesn't accept modern Charismatic claims of the manifestation of the "sign" gifts. I understand his position, although I don't agree with all of it. Where he says "the emperor has no clothes on" it is because he has had a good, long, hard look at the modern Charismatic movement and can see that the "emperor" definitely does not have any clothes on at all! I think that he is being more honest and realistic than many Charismatics and Pentecostals who cannot admit that the promised and claimed miracles are just not happening in most cases, and that in practice, most standard Pentecostal and Charismatic church services are no different from the cessationist ones. Let's be honest about that.

I became a Christian in a Pentecostal church in 1966, and continued in the movement until 1979, and have maintain association with Pentecostal friends ever since. I have to be honest that in all that time, after attending many "healing" meetings and conferences, I never witness one healing of anyone with a serious or terminal medical condition. I saw a lot of prayer for the sick, and saw people supposedly falling down under the "power" of the Holy Spirit, but the sick people walked away sick! You would think that if there was enough power to cause a person to fall to the floor, there would be enough power to heal them. So there is something wrong with that picture, isn't there?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a cessationist. I believe that all the gifts of the Spirit are available today. But what puzzles me is why there are no genuine manifestations of them in most churches that claim to have them. What I see is pointless public babbling called "tongues" without any reverence for God and any attempts at interpretation; prophecies that are forgotten by the next hymn, and never the type that exposes the hearts of people causing them to fall on their knees worshiping God and acknowledging that He is truly present in the meeting; I have seen words of knowledge that are just guess work and mostly irrelevant to the person they are given to; as well as prayer after prayer for healing with no results, followed by excuses like, "You didn't have enough faith", or "God will heal you gradually"; preachers who claim the working of miracles, but no miracles are taking place. Overall, it is all basically all talk and no power and demonstration of the Spirit. Also, I have been in evangelistic meeting after meeting, seeing people walk forward to say the sinners prayer, but never seeing those people in church again. Where did all these "converts" go? Probably right back into the world on Monday morning when they had to go back to the real world and trudge off to work.

We have "prophets" who are telling us that God is speaking to the all the time, that "the Holy Spirit told me this or that"; but somehow the Holy Spirit never told them that Biden was going to win the U.S. election, the Taliban taking over Afganistan, Covid 19, the Capitol Building riot, the racial riots caused by the BLM movement. No New Zealand prophet predicted the Christchurch earthquake. All these were significant world events, but none of the prophets to whom "God is speaking" heard Him say anything about events that have changed many lives. So, is God really speaking to these "prophets". Definitely not!

I had a friend tell me once, "I sense that in the Spirit realm [such and such] might start to happen", etc. My question is, if the Spirit really did tell him something, wouldn't it be direct and clear cut? Jesse Penn-Lewis in her book "War on the Saints" says that nine out of every ten impressions comes from the world, flesh, or the devil. I wonder which impression my friend received when he "sensed" something supposedly in "the Spirit"?

I think we need to admit that in the majority of situations, the Lord is not working with the preachers, and that nothing of the power and demonstration of the Spirit is happening no matter what they are saying. Next, we need to ask why, and then be prepared for the Holy Spirit to give us His honest answer, even though we might not like what He says to us. Justine Peters seems to me to be closer to the Bereans who "searched the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so". Justin searches the Scriptures concerning claims of the modern Charismatic movement and discovers that "these things are not so"!

Upvote 0