Southern USA
✟74,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” There is no type of faith that doesn't save. "But what about James 2?" James 2 is talking to already saved people being justified before man, but we see in Romans 3 & 4 that faith alone is what justifies us before God. Let's look at some verses that destroy this false James 2 works salvation interpretation, the Bible doesn't contradict. and there are hundreds of verses in scripture that say it is by faith without works, yet the unsaved false converts always rush to James 2 to say that you need the works.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

James 2

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Contrast this with Romans 4:2 "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.”

Romans 4:3-5 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Abraham wasn't justified before God when he offered up Isaac, no he was saved well before that in Genesis 15:6 when he believed God and was counted righteous. (faith alone salvation)

When James 2:24 says you see how that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

without that word how, then it would appear to be a works salvation passage as so many rip out of context and teach. But in context this is clearly talking about being justified before man, and not before God. So if you want to run to James 2 to interpret that works based salvation is correct, then you have to ignore dozens of clear scriptures from Jesus in the Gospel of John, and Paul in all of his writings that say it is by faith alone, believe, believe, believe. which cannot be correct because scripture cannot contradict.

Paul and James were not at war, the KJV Bible is the perfect preserved word of God, and The Holy Bible cannot contradict itself.

This is where ex Catholic priest Luther was wrong, first Luther blasphemed and attacked scripture and said to throw out the Book of James, and then later repented of that blasphemy and falsely said "we are saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone" but this is false double-talk, backloading works into salvation. Either salvation is by faith alone, or it is not, you can't have both because we see in Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” God is not the author of confusion, and If James 2 is causing you confusion then your interpretation is wrong, because scripture cannot contradict. Salvation is by faith alone, through grace alone, in Christ alone, plus nothing, minus nothing.

John 3:15 “That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 5:24 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

John 6:47 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.”

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Luke 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luke 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

Mark 5:46 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

In conclusion if you want to dishonestly rip James 2 out of context you always can, and Catholics will always do this 24/7, 365 to stop soul winning, cause strife and in order to justify their works based religion, but if you want to be biblically correct you must make your interpretation of James 2 line up with Jesus and Paul, and the rest of scripture, and teaching a works based salvation does not do that, and contradicts clear scripture after clear scripture.

The Thief on the Cross had "dead faith" he didn't have any works he simply believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and was saved, which is impossible according to works salvationists.

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Don't confuse "What must I do to be saved?" with "What Should I do now that I am saved?"

this notion that there is a type of faith out there that doesn't save, is false unbiblical, and damnable.

As Peter wrote in in 2 Peter 3:16-18 that the unstable wrest scriptures unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” There is no type of faith that doesn't save. "But what about James 2?" James 2 is talking to already saved people being justified before man, but we see in Romans 3 & 4 that faith alone is what justifies us before God. Let's look at some verses that destroy this false James 2 works salvation interpretation, the Bible doesn't contradict. and there are hundreds of verses in scripture that say it is by faith without works, yet the unsaved false converts always rush to James 2 to say that you need the works.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified [ISPOILER][/ISPOILER]by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

James 2

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Contrast this with Romans 4:2 "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.”

Romans 4:3-5 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Abraham wasn't justified before God when he offered up Isaac and Jacob, no he was saved well before that in Genesis 15:6 when he believed God and was counted righteous. (faith alone salvation)

When James 2:24 says you see how that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

without that word how, then it would appear to be a works salvation passage as so many rip out of context and teach. But in context this is clearly talking about being justified before man, and not before God. So if you want to run to James 2 to interpret that works based salvation is correct, then you have to ignore dozens of clear scriptures from Jesus in the Gospel of John, and Paul in all of his writings that say it is by faith alone, believe, believe, believe. which cannot be correct because scripture cannot contradict.

Paul and James were not at war, the KJV Bible is the perfect preserved word of God, and The Holy Bible cannot contradict itself.

This is where ex Catholic priest Luther was wrong, first Luther blasphemed and attacked scripture and said to throw out the Book of James, and then later repented of that blasphemy and falsely said "we are saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone" but this is false double-talk, backloading works into salvation. Either salvation is by faith alone, or it is not, you can't have both because we see in Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” God is not the author of confusion, and If James 2 is causing you confusion then your interpretation is wrong, because scripture cannot contradict. Salvation is by faith alone, through grace alone, in Christ alone, plus nothing, minus nothing.

John 3:15 “That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 5:24 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

John 6:47 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.”

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Luke 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

Mark 5:46 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

In conclusion if you want to dishonestly rip James 2 out of context you always can, and Catholics will always do this 24/7, 365 to stop soul winning, cause strife and in order to justify their works based religion, but if you want to be biblically correct you must make your interpretation of James 2 line up with Jesus and Paul, and the rest of scripture, and teaching a works based salvation does not do that, and contradicts clear scripture after clear scripture.

The Thief on the Cross had "dead faith" he didn't have any works he simply believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and was saved, which is impossible according to works salvationists.

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Don't confuse "What must I do to be saved?" with "What Should I do now that I am saved?"

this notion that there is a type of faith out there that doesn't save, is false unbiblical, and damnable.

As Peter wrote in in 2 Peter 3:16-18 that the unstable wrest scriptures unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
I never knew faith had types. You either do or don't have faith. :scratch:
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey thanks. I don't understand how you see "The Thief on the Cross had "dead faith" "

All we know is he knew who Christ was. Knew He should not be there they should and its what he said "remember me when you come into your kingdom". That thief must have heard something to just say "your kingdom".

Not here to debate works but its you that said dead faith still saves not the word. Dead means what? The holy Spirit through James used the word dead. Could it be .. say if we don't work out exercise we get weak. So faith with out works is dead. We always need to be working, exercising our faith.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” There is no type of faith that doesn't save.

Well, almost. . .let's begin by defining the word of this discussion; i.e., faith.

Saving faith is the belief in and trust on the atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) and person of Jesus Christ for the remission of one's sin and right standing with God's justice; i.e., sentence of acquittal of guilt, declared righteous (justification), and the righteousness of Christ imputed to him (Ro 4:1-11).

Anything else is not faith, it is counterfeit faith.

"But what about James 2?" James 2 is talking to already saved people being justified before man, but we see in Romans 3 & 4 that faith alone is what justifies us before God. Let's look at some verses that destroy this false James 2 works salvation interpretation, the Bible doesn't contradict. and there are hundreds of verses in scripture that say it is by faith without works, yet the unsaved false converts always rush to James 2 to say that you need the works.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

James 2

Abraham wasn't justified before God when he offered up Isaac and Jacob, no he was saved well before that in Genesis 15:6 when he believed God and was counted righteous. (faith alone salvation)

This is where ex Catholic priest Luther was wrong, first Luther blasphemed and attacked scripture and said to throw out the Book of James, and then later repented of that blasphemy and falsely said "we are saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone" but this is false double-talk, backloading works into salvation. Either salvation is by faith alone, or it is not, you can't have both

For the sake of clarity:

True faith has works of obedience (after coming to faith) or it is counterfeit faith, but the necessary works of that true faith are not what saves, it is only the faith of those works which saves.
Then in the Christian life following, the necessary works still do not save, they only sanctify/make personally, actually righteous (Ro 6:16, Ro 6:19) those who are already saved.
But since true faith has works, if there are no works after "salvation," then one's faith was counterfeit, and one was not actually saved.

because we see in Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” God is not the author of confusion, and If James 2 is causing you confusion then your interpretation is wrong, because scripture cannot contradict. Salvation is by faith alone, through grace alone, in Christ alone, plus nothing, minus nothing.

All works are dead works before one is born again, and "dead works" are no better than "no works."
So all the born again are necessarily without works at their rebirth and faith.
The works of saving faith come after salvation.
And if there are no works after salvation, then one's faith was counterfeit, and there was never any salvation in the first place.

And now for the "almost" referred to above. . .

There is a type of faith that doesn't save, it is the counterfeit faith that has no works after "salvation."

Well done!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

The faith, trust a person places in the Messiah to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. Is accomplished in a moment of time, as long as it takes for the person to believe in The Messiah.

This belief, faith may or may not remain with the person all of their life, as illustrated in the parable of the soils. The second and third soil had failing faith but as Jesus plainly states He will never cast out a born again child of God. Even if this child becomes a fallen away prodigal son.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This belief, faith may or may not remain with the person all of their life, as illustrated in the parable of the soils. The second and third soil had failing faith but as Jesus plainly states He will never cast out a born again child of God. Even if this child becomes a fallen away prodigal son.

However, the parable of the soils is about counterfeit faith and true faith, the counterfeit faith being the first three soils.
Only the good soil is true faith, only true faith saves and true faith does not apostasize.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
However, the parable of the soils is about counterfeit faith and true faith, the counterfeit faith being the first three soils.
Only the good soil is true faith, only true faith saves and true faith does not apostasize.
-​

No the parable is about different types of believers and how much fruit they bore. Only one out of the three believer soils, bore fruit.

C
Clare73
Previously addressed. . .
Upvote 0
d taylor
d taylor
Not sure why you keep quoting my post, as it has be established in the past, we believer in two different types of ways to receive eternal life salvation. Yours is a works/obedience faith and mine a faith only, in receiving of God's free gift of Eternal Life.
Upvote 0
C
Clare73
Your take explains a lot. . .
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There is no type of faith that doesn't save.
While it is true that one is not saved without faith —in fact, it is true that by faith alone, one is saved— you said, "There is no type of faith that doesn't save." I'm not sure if you meant to say that or something else. But the rest of your post doesn't even seem to address it.

Some people define faith simply as belief. But James says the devils also believe, and tremble. That is certainly not salvific faith.

There is also faith that we generate ourselves, such as when one believes that a chair will hold them, then the faith being shown by one sitting in the chair. But salvific faith is a step beyond that. Being generated in the person by the Holy Spirit having taken up residence within, it is, in any measure, real and true and life-changing and constant, not dependent on our fickle feelings, ignorant understanding, weakness, self-importance or anything else about us. That faith is ours, in that it is done in us and to us, and produces all the (James') works consistent with salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

I believe saying counterfeit faith in the Bible (exist), of verses that plainly state a person believed. Is making false accusations against the testimony of The Bibles inspired written witness. Especially when in the context of where a verse or verses saying a person or persons has/have believed. And there is no evidence in these verses of these people being false believers. Is adding a persons own theological beliefs into the context and not believing the verses as written.

Examples
Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Ananias, with Sapphira

The parable of the soils

King Saul

Simon (the magician/sorcerer)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
-​

I believe saying counterfeit faith in the Bible (exist), of verses that plainly state a person believed. Is making false accusations against the testimony of The Bibles inspired written witness. Especially when in the context of where a verse or verses saying a person or persons has/have believed. And there is no evidence in these verses of these people being false believers. Is adding a persons own theological beliefs into the context and not believing the verses as written.

Examples
Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Ananias, with Sapphira

The parable of the soils

King Saul

Simon (the magician/sorcerer)
Let's put it rather simply. If one 'loses their salvation', why claim they were really saved? One is by definition not saved if one doesn't "make it to Heaven."

"They went out from us because they were not of us." The question here is not whether the Bible says they actually believed, but what kind of belief they had.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Let's put it rather simply. If one 'loses their salvation', why claim they were really saved? One is by definition not saved if one doesn't "make it to Heaven."

"They went out from us because they were not of us." The question here is not whether the Bible says they actually believed, but what kind of belief they had.

So what do antichrist have to do, with believers in The Messiah.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no type of faith that doesn't save
Sure there is: Faith that there is no God; Momentary faith that does not last; Faith that one can work for Christ and live lawlessly; Faith that professes to know God but denies Him in works; et. al.
the faith of Jesus Christ
Is this "the faith of" or faith in?
Abraham wasn't justified before God when he offered up Isaac
Sure he was. That's what the verse you quoted below says.
James 2

the KJV Bible is the perfect preserved word of God
Nonsense, but to discuss this here will bring out the moderators.
"we are saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone" but this is false double-talk,
"true faith is never alone". There, problem fixed.
Either salvation is by faith alone, or it is not, you can't have both
Depending upon what one thinks "faith" is, could be that neither are correct.
God is not the author of confusion
Agreed.
Salvation is by faith alone, through grace alone, in Christ alone, plus nothing, minus nothing
Jesus disagrees (John5:24)

this notion that there is a type of faith out there that doesn't save, is false unbiblical, and damnable
OK. But I'm questioning whether I can trust you to teach accurately what we must do to be saved.

Zeal apart from knowledge.
As Peter wrote in in 2 Peter 3:16-18 that the unstable wrest scriptures unto their own destruction.
I agree with Peter about the ignorant and unstable. We probably all fit into this category to some degree for a time, or longer.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never knew faith had types. You either do or don't have faith. :scratch:
Blessings.
Little faith. Great faith. Abiding faith. Temporary faith. Weak faith. Strong faith. Faith that comes by hearing the word of God. Empty faith. etc.

Does one have faith if it's temporary? Does one have faith if it doesn't come from hearing the word of God?

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're saved by obeying God (1John3:23). Obedient people are the ones God is seeking (John4).

Not according to Eph 2:8-9.
Before their faith, who was obeying God that it saved them?

1 Jn 3:23 refers to post faith ("have come").

And Jesus' dealings with Israel were according to the Old Covenant order (under which he was born, lived, preached and died) in order to lead them to himself (Gal 3:24) and to the new order (Heb 9:10) of the New Covenant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not according to Eph 2:8-9.
Before their faith, who was obeying God that it saved them?

1 Jn 3:23 refers to post faith ("have come").

And Jesus' dealings with Israel were according to the Old Covenant order (under which he was born, lived, preached and died) in order to lead them to himself (Gal 3:24) and to the new order (Heb 9:10) of the New Covenant.
1John3:23 and Eph2:8-9 are both correct. They must harmonize. How do they harmonize?

No "have come" in 1John3:23. You must be referring to another verse{s}, correct?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1John3:23 and Eph2:8-9 are both correct. They must harmonize. How do they harmonize?

I'm not seeing any disharmony.

No "have come" in 1John3:23. You must be referring to another verse{s}, correct?

Yes, I was looking at 1 Jn 2:23.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not seeing any disharmony.
There is none.

1John3:23 commands to believe in the name of God's Son. Belief is commanded. Belief and obedience are corelated and simultaneous. In 1John, John is building upon GJohn. Some of the commands in GJohn to believe (John10:38, John12:36, John14:11). Much more can be built from Jesus' instruction of Him being in the Father & the Father in Him (John10), and honoring Him as one honors the Father (John5), and the authority in Jesus per John3 for example.

Eph2:8-9 says God's salvation is by [God's] grace through belief (which is also corelated to obedience to God) not from [meritorious] works.

Paul agrees with the correlation between belief and obedience (Rom10:16 pertaining to the Gospel).

We are saved by [God's] grace through believing in God's Son as God commands, and not from [meritorious] works.

Yes, I was looking at 1 Jn 2:23.
By mistake?

Upvote 0