Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Dead faith is the false faith of a hypocrite. Dead works are those done to please false gods. False religions demand extra-biblical requirements to earn eternal life. You must obey the leader.

John 15:5
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Jesus stated that the ones who abide in Him are the ones who bring forth fruit. That is a fact. He is with true Christians and will not forsake them. No one who is a Christian has dead faith; that's impossible. By their fruits ye shall know them.

Tiny Grapes on Vine.jpg

Mormonism teaches that its members must follow the prophet and the laws and ordinances of their religion.

Eternal life is exaltation to godhood. Only those who meet the requirements will be with their god and their jesus.

The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us all the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

1. We must be baptized.

2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ [of Latter-day Saints] and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

4. We must receive the temple endowment.

5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:

1. Love God and our neighbors.

2. Keep the commandments.

3. Repent of our wrongdoings.

4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

6. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

7. Have family and individual prayers every day.

8. Teach the gospel to others by word and example.

9. Study the scriptures.

10. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.
Chapter 47: Exaltation

Women are asked to visit assigned sisters once a month.

Men (sometimes this is done with their wives) visit assigned families each month.

If the Bishop calls and asks you to lead music for the ward, or teach a class, be a counselor to the bishop, serve as ward clerk, be a Relief Society President, or a librarian, or in some areas you are asked to help in Welfare Services (Bishop's Storehouse --- What is a bishops' storehouse?), Welfare Farm, etc., you accept those invotations or callings as if they came from the Lord.

If you are disobedient, the Holy Ghost will withdraw from you.

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And how is any of the above something that anyone who calls upon the name of Christ shouldn't already be doing anyway?
Here's a list:
2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ [of Latter-day Saints] and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
No one who calls upon the name of the Lord should be doing this.
3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
4. We must receive the temple endowment.
5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.
4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
Not the LDS church meetings, for sure.
10. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.
Definitely not the LDS prophets!
Women are asked to visit assigned sisters once a month.
Not as it relates to the LDS church
Men (sometimes this is done with their wives) visit assigned families each month.
If the Bishop calls and asks you to lead music for the ward, or teach a class, be a counselor to the bishop, serve as ward clerk, be a Relief Society President, or a librarian, or in some areas you are asked to help in Welfare Services (Bishop's Storehouse --- What is a bishops' storehouse?), Welfare Farm, etc., you accept those invotations or callings as if they came from the Lord.
Not as they relate to the LDS church
If you are disobedient, the Holy Ghost will withdraw from you.
A lie taught by the LDS church, not supported by Biblical Scripture.

So, you were saying..?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Here's a list:

Not the LDS church meetings, for sure.

Definitely not the LDS prophets!

Not as they relate to the LDS church

A lie taught by the LDS church, not supported by Biblical Scripture.

So, you were saying..?
(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

(New Testament | Luke 16:31)

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

(New Testament | Luke 16:31)

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
Are these supposed to mean something related to the thread?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Are these supposed to mean something related to the thread?
We are to DO the work that God has given us to do. I can surely add to the list that Phoebe posted. We are to give God 10% of our income. We should donate to the humanitarian fund, the perpetual education fund, and the missionary fund. We are to do missionary work to bring Gods sheep into the fold. All of this and more because we LOVE God and our neighbor. Those who truly LOVE Jesus Christ are willing to keep the commandments:
(Old Testament | Malachi 3:8 - 10)

8 ¶ Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormonism is an abomination to God. It is the religion started by Joseph Smith who dared to call himself a prophet of God..
Joseph Smith was indeed a prophet of God. The Book of Mormon was given to us from God.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to DO the work that God has given us to do.
Out of our LOVE for God, not because our salvation depends on it (or in mormon-speak, level of salvation).
I can surely add to the list that Phoebe posted.
Of course you can. Your religion is a works-based religion. The free gift of God requires no works to be received.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Out of our LOVE for God, not because our salvation depends on it (or in mormon-speak, level of salvation).

Of course you can. Your religion is a works-based religion. The free gift of God requires no works to be received.
(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 6)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

(New Testament | Titus 1:16)

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

(New Testament | Hebrews 12:12 - 14)

12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

We are not saved by works, neither are we saved without then:

(New Testament | James 2:14 - 20)

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

(New Testament | Matthew 5:16)

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matt. 7: 12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Matt 7: 21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matt. 16: 27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

James 1: 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

(New Testament | Romans 2:6)

6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

That is a few of the many scriptures in the Bible that let us know that we will nor be saved without works. So we are saved by grace after all that we can do:

(New Testament | Matthew 25:30)

30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not saved by works, neither are we saved without then:
That's mormon double-speak. One either is or is not saved by works. If your religion teaches that you are not saved without them, then your religion is teaching works based salvation.
That is a few of the many scriptures in the Bible that let us know that we will nor be saved without works. So we are saved by grace after all that we can do:
You still don't get the concept of the free gift of God. You skip Ephesians 2:8-9 and go straight to verse 10. Verse 10 is not salvational; it's what comes after we accept the free gift in verse 8. Verse 9 is very clear that works do not save. But somehow, your religion ignores that fact.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That's mormon double-speak. One either is or is not saved by works. If your religion teaches that you are not saved without them, then your religion is teaching works based salvation.

No, it teaches that there's more to calling on the name of Christ than just saying a prayer or two and presuming you've got a one-way ticket to Heaven.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it teaches that there's more to calling on the name of Christ than just saying a prayer or two and presuming you've got a one-way ticket to Heaven.
Which no one has ever said. 0-for-2 in this thread. So... try again??

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

You still don't get the concept of the free gift of God. You skip Ephesians 2:8-9 and go straight to verse 10. Verse 10 is not salvational; it's what comes after we accept the free gift in verse 8. Verse 9 is very clear that works do not save. But somehow, your religion ignores that fact.
It is not my religion that teaches that we need to have good works to be saved, it is the Bible. Did you read those verses?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not my religion that teaches that we need to have good works to be saved, it is the Bible. Did you read those verses?
Did you read Ephesians 2:8-10? Do you understand what a free gift is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormonism is an abomination to God. It is the religion started by Joseph Smith who dared to call himself a prophet of God..
The Church of Jesus Christ is certainly not an abomination to God. I was started by Jesus the Christ and he used JS to restore his church in these latter days to the earth again.

Only the future will tell the truth about what I say. His restored church, as prophecied will continue to come out of obscurity and will continue to separate itself from all other churches, whether Christian or heathen or pagan. Let's see what happens.

I say these things only to answer Phoebe Ann that Mormonism is an abomination of God.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

There is no double speak. The bible says that:
Ephesians 2:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I can guarantee that if you do not the good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them, you will not be saved.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 2:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Do you understand that if you do not the good works that God has before ordained that we should walk in, you will not receive the free gift of grace?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

It is graced based and work based. We look forward to the grace of God during and after we have done those good works that God hath ordained that we should walk in. (Ephesians 2:10)

We do our works out of the love and grace and faith that God gives us to perform such good works.

If you think we do it to earn points and that enough points automatically gets us into heaven, then you have not been reading any of our posts for the last 2 years. WE DO NOT DO GOOD WORKS TO EARN OUR WAY INTO HEAVEN. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO ANYWAY. WE DO OUR GOOD WORKS BECAUSE WE LOVE GOD AND WANT TO BE LIKE HIM, AND DO THOSE GOOD WORKS THAT HE HAS BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE WALK IN.

I know you would like to continue the charade that we do works to earn salvation, so you can say things against us, but you are telling a falsehood, and you know it. I have told you many times before we do our good works out of love for God.

Why do you do your good works? Or do you despise good works and do not do them for fear of being involved in a works based salvation?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Cherry picking the Bible will not save anyone. Christ's atonement is a free gift to those who LOVE Jesus Christ and keep His commandments:

(New Testament | Hebrews 5:9)

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

(New Testament | John 14:15 - 21)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

(New Testament | 1 Peter 4:17 - 19)

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

And from the scripture you quoted:

(New Testament | Ephesians 2:10)

Upvote 0