Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Swoosh said:
Hello all,

Does anyone have a website or a book that fully explains the pastoral duties and qualities of a Deacon?

God bless,
Swoosh
Dear Swoosh:

In general you can find the duties of deacons in Canon Law and in the General Instruction on the Roman Missal.

But, what a deason does in specifics is determined by the bishops. Some bishops do not use deacons for much of anything; other have deacons in very active ministry.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am moved to outline the duties of the Deacon in Anglican churches, which it is my understanding are taken totius porcus from Catholic usage -- with the expectation that Michelina, geocajun, or another knowledgeable Catholic will "correct" my post by stating any changes which are true in Catholicism.

1. The Deacon works directly for the Bishop, in the ministry to which he is assigned by him. This often is but may not be parish ministry. That fact is a condition toward any of the following statements, all of which should have "as assigned by the Bishop" understood.

At the Eucharist, the Deacon
2. Reads the Gospel. This is a time-honored prerogative to which priests and bishops are supposed to humbly yield -- if the Pope is celebrating Mass and assisted by a newly-ordained Deacon, he will by this custom have the Deacon read the Gospel.
3. Dismisses the faithful at the end of service.
4. Assists in the preparation of the Altar (this would include confecting the chalice, as mentioned in the OP), and in the distribution of communion, at which he is an "ordinary minister" and should never be replaced by laity in that capacity.
5. Performs any other functions not requiring priestly faculties at the request of the Celebrant.

In the absence of a priest, the Deacon:
6. Celebrates what's often miscalled a "Deacon's Mass" -- which consists of the normal Liturgy of the Word, appropriate prayers always including the Lord's Prayer, and the distribution of Communion from the Reserved Sacrament.
7. Preaches a sermon if licensed by the Bishop to do so, otherwise reads a homily appointed for the day and prepared by other hands.

8. At the Easter Vigil, he chants the Exsultet, the great ancient canticle celebrating "the night when Christ crossed over from death unto life." Like the reading of the Gospel, this is his prerogative.

9. In the absence of an available priest, he baptizes.

10. In the absence of an available priest, he may hear confessions but may not absolve, rather declaring God's forgiveness in language that carefully distinguishes it from a priestly absolution.

11. In the absence of a priest assigned to the parish to which he is assigned, he performs all non-sacramental pastoral duties, including parish administration to the extent that his authorization from the Diocese permits.

12. In the absence of a priest or by request of the couple, he may officiate at a marriage, but may not perform the marriage blessing (if a Deacon is officiating for family/friendship reasons with a priest present, the priest will step in for this one element of the service).

A deacon may not:
1. Ordain or confirm.
2. Celebrate the Eucharist (except in the sense that we all "celebrate the Eucharist" along with the Priest who officiates at it).
3. Administer a priestly blessing (though he may pray a blessing on someone in the same manner as a layperson may).
4. Absolve of sins.
5. Anoint the sick sacramentally.
6. Serve as Pastor or other role of authority -- it is incommensurate with his role as diakonos or helper -- except that he may function pastorally in the interim between the appointment of pastors. (In our case, between the resignation or death of a Priest and the calling of his successor.)

Upvote 0

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
^Thank you for your prayers. I've been called to this, but I don't know when..i'd expect it to be later on in life. Hopefully, I will go into it..at this point though it seems very incompatible with me. I'm horribly afraid of public speaking.as I have always been.and I know this would involve that among other things. Thanks for that link, very informative and I learned a few things I never knew about deacons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.