Los Angeles Area
✟829,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Trump’s D.C. hotel abruptly cancels Christian aid group’s Kurdish solidarity event
A Christian aid group that planned a gathering to honor and pray for the Kurdish people at President Trump’s hotel in Washington were told by hotel staff this week that the event was canceled, according to two members of the aid group.

The event, called “A Night of Prayer for the Kurds,” was to be hosted by Frontier Alliance International (FAI), a religious nonprofit group that provides medical help in the Middle East, including to the Kurds, according to its website.

FAI leaders said their goal was not to fund the Trump Organization but rather to use the venue to raise awareness about the Kurdish plight and transcend partisan differences. Still, the backlash to their choice of venue was swift.

Thomas and another leader of the group, Joel Richardson, explained that the intention was to show “honor and respect and humility” for the office of the president while also being “honest about what’s taking place” with the Kurds.

“We’re commanded as followers of Jesus to pray for and honor leaders. And so this is the approach we’ve chosen to do that,” Richardson said in the video. “We are going to, if you will, the president’s living room, and we’re doing our best to have an honoring, respectful, family discussion.”

Thomas said that the Trump Organization had refunded the group’s money and that FAI now planned to hold the event at the Grand Hyatt Washington hotel on Sunday.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
They were probably suspicious of the event's real intentions, given the circumstances. I call it a security measure.

That's pretty charitable of you toward your brethren.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That's pretty charitable of you toward your brethren.
I have nothing to do with it. I didn't say they were planning anything evil. It's just the best explanation of the hotel management's behavior.

I can only imagine what kind of thinking lead to your response.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
?!

I thought it was self-evident. Trump is acting against the Kurds. A group wants to hold a meeting in one of his hotels in favor of the Kurds. The manager doesn't want to be the one to let them in and make the discovery that they planned more than they were letting on. I'm sure he was wrong, but that was probably the thinking.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
?!

I thought it was self-evident. Trump is acting against the Kurds. A group wants to hold a meeting in one of his hotels in favor of the Kurds. The manager doesn't want to be the one to let them in and make the discovery that they planned more than they were letting on. I'm sure he was wrong, but that was probably the thinking.

Something you just plucked out of the air isn't 'the best' explanation. It's just something you think, for reasons other than it being a useful explanation.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....It's just the best explanation of the hotel management's behavior....
Really the best explanation of the hotel's behavior is that the event embarrasses Trump on his own turf and exposes possible divisions among his activist Christian base.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
and exposes possible divisions among his activist Christian base.

Maybe Trump can send a memo to churches informing them of which groups they are allowed to pray for. Help get everyone on the same page.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe Trump can send a memo to churches informing them of which groups they are allowed to pray for. Help get everyone on the same page.

Perhaps God should be notified about who he should and shouldn't listen to, he may not be familiar with who has the 'right' ideas and which groups in which country he is supposed to be doing things for.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
?!

I think that you are referring to them possibly being activists for the Kurds and against Trump's actions towards them.
Really the best explanation of the hotel's behavior is that the event embarrasses Trump on his own turf and exposes possible divisions among his activist Christian base.
There isn't any activism without division.

I see that both of you are saying almost exactly the same thing.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
These people don't really care about the Kurds. Back when Obama was canoodling with dictator Erdogan Turkey was A OK. But now that Trump has reduced our warmongering there the media wants us to know all about how we have left them to die. To the point that they're using videos from us gun ranges and claiming it's in Syria.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These people don't really care about the Kurds. Back when Obama was canoodling with dictator Erdogan Turkey was A OK. But now that Trump has reduced our warmongering there the media wants us to know all about how we have left them to die. To the point that they're using videos from us gun ranges and claiming it's in Syria.

Well, you have the Fox news delivery system learned to a T - factoid + random meaningless associations. Well done!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, you have the Fox news delivery system learned to a T - factoid + random meaningless associations. Well done!

And you have the antifa ad hominem down almost perfectly. I say almost because you forgot to say orangemanbad.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you have the antifa ad hominem down almost perfectly. I say almost because you forgot to say orangemanbad.

No need to wait for whatever you think an antifa ad hom is, you can just fact check your own post.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Our relationship with the Kurds is problematic. We welcome their assistance and applaud their sacrifices while battling ISIS, but our NATO ally, Turkey, certainly considers them a threat. Maintaining good relationships with both needs careful and well thought out diplomacy.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0