Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another question (hopefully a quick one!)...

Each Saint has a day appointed for his or her commemoration. What do you call these days? Feast days (and if so, does the name change if it occurs on a day of fasting?)?

Thanks for your replies and patience with me, as usual.

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, they're called their feast days. My patron (St. Mary of Bethany) and her sister St Martha have their feast day on June 4th (and also the second Sunday after Pascha when we commemorate the Holy Myrhhbearers). Conversely, it is considered my Name day, since I am named for her.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And to answer that last question - no, it doesn't change. There are some situations where a Saint/Event can be moved in case it coincides with a major Feast, but not because it's a fast day.

What does happen when a major Feast day falls on a fast day depends on the Feast. For instance a major Feast like Nativity or Theophany will never be a fasting day. But some Feasts, like Ss. Peter and Paul, or Dormition, will only lessen the fast - so the fast day will be a fish/wine/oil day. I was told that is because those Feasts are more somber in nature (the martyrdom of Ss. Peter and Paul, and the death of the Theotokos). But I think Feasts such as the Entry into the Temple in November, also is like that, even though it's not a somber occasion, so I don't know. Someone else will come along and fill us in. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it the case that when two events or saints days are appointed for the same day, usually because one is movable, it's the case that one or the other is commemorated, not both jointly? This would mean that there never is actually a festive celebration for the somber one? (This is similar to what you said, Mary, but perhaps a bit different)

• Informative
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it the case that when two events or saints days are appointed for the same day, usually because one is movable, it's the case that one or the other is commemorated, not both jointly? This would mean that there never is actually a festive celebration for the somber one? (This is similar to what you said, Mary, but perhaps a bit different)

it depends, because feasts are also ranked in terms of importance as well

• Informative
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And I don't think this is what you mean, but we do actually commemorate a number of Saints or events every day.

But I take it you are talking about major feast days and such?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And I don't think this is what you mean, but we do actually commemorate a number of Saints or events every day.

Oh sure. I thought that was what the OP had in mind.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Yes, they're called their feast days. My patron (St. Mary of Bethany) and her sister St Martha have their feast day on June 4th (and also the second Sunday after Pascha when we commemorate the Holy Myrhhbearers). Conversely, it is considered my Name day, since I am named for her.

And to answer that last question - no, it doesn't change. There are some situations where a Saint/Event can be moved in case it coincides with a major Feast, but not because it's a fast day.

What does happen when a major Feast day falls on a fast day depends on the Feast. For instance a major Feast like Nativity or Theophany will never be a fasting day. But some Feasts, like Ss. Peter and Paul, or Dormition, will only lessen the fast - so the fast day will be a fish/wine/oil day. I was told that is because those Feasts are more somber in nature (the martyrdom of Ss. Peter and Paul, and the death of the Theotokos). But I think Feasts such as the Entry into the Temple in November, also is like that, even though it's not a somber occasion, so I don't know. Someone else will come along and fill us in. :)

it depends, because feasts are also ranked in terms of importance as well
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And you hoped maybe it was a simple question. ;)

They rarely are, lol.

But that's ok. :)
I have learned that nothing is simple in Eastern Orthodoxy, and there are layers upon layers of things to learn. That’s why I ask here rather than just Google it...actual conversation clarifies things more than a simple search.

Again, thank you.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have learned that nothing is simple in Eastern Orthodoxy, and there are layers upon layers of things to learn. That’s why I ask here rather than just Google it...actual conversation clarifies things more than a simple search.

Again, thank you.

I think you are right to do so. I googled a few simple things and with a lot of reading picked up some good info.

But discussion is always good. No one will really address everything, so you at least get some idea of the nuances by seeing people discuss them. I love when many members weigh in and add little tidbits. :)

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I can only think of one possibility for two Great Feasts to coincide and that would be with the Annunciation and either Palm Sunday or Pascha (which can only happen on the Old Calendar). I've heard that when Annunciation and Pascha fall on the same day, they are both celebrated, and it's quite amazing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can only think of one possibility for two Great Feasts to coincide and that would be with the Annunciation and either Palm Sunday or Pascha (which can only happen on the Old Calendar). I've heard that when Annunciation and Pascha fall on the same day, they are both celebrated, and it's quite amazing.

yes, Pascha dominates but there are some aspects of the Annunciation that remain. it's awesome because the conception of Christ and the reason for the conception are celebrated together.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do know that this year on the Julian Calendar, Annunciation and Great and Holy Saturday co-incide. My GodPapa is already tearing his hair out thinking about that Liturgically !

My USA priest friend has already spotted that for him St Mary of Egypt also falls on Annunciation so will not be commemorated this year[ St Mary of Egypt I mean ]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums