Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I understand. I read the article and I didn't see any big proclamations of mental illness like schizophrenia or hearing voices or dissociation with reality etc. All I could glean was she was angry and depressed and suicidal.

I'm sorry, but she should go to jail. I don't see how it is fair or safe for her to be "on probation" monitored by people who are NOT security experts 24/7. Truth is, every child and person in her neighborhood is put at risk by her being there.

It is my opinion that if someone like her is on "probation" that the people responsible for her probation suffer the same penalty for any crime she commits while on probation. If she kills or hurts another child, they suffer the same penalty.

Honestly, I just don't understand rulings like this one.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand. I read the article and I didn't see any big proclamations of mental illness like schizophrenia or hearing voices or dissociation with reality etc. All I could glean was she was angry and depressed and suicidal.

I'm sorry, but she should go to jail. I don't see how it is fair or safe for her to be "on probation" monitored by people who are NOT security experts 24/7. Truth is, every child and person in her neighborhood is put at risk by her being there.

It is my opinion that if someone like her is on "probation" that the people responsible for her probation suffer the same penalty for any crime she commits while on probation. If she kills or hurts another child, they suffer the same penalty.

Honestly, I just don't understand rulings like this one.

Yeah it feels pretty light to me too....

That said, it's possible that mental health professionals have a more informed perspective on this than the average person. I don't pretend to understand what condition she may have.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah it feels pretty light to me too....

That said, it's possible that mental health professionals have a more informed perspective on this than the average person. I don't pretend to understand what condition she may have.
Indeed, I cannot imagine a court being so light without significant evidence of mental illness.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, I cannot imagine a court being so light without significant evidence of mental illness.

The Sad Truth is, judges hand down ridiculously light sentences all the time. That's part of the reason why some States have mandatory sentencing laws-- to get around certain bleeding heart judges that are susceptible to "certain" criminals when said criminal bursts out in tears in court and is "sorry".

There was a famous case a few years ago about some ubber rich kid raping a girl and then just getting probation. In any event, it is not unheard of for "some" judges to make really bad sentencing decisions. Conversely, the opposite happens as well. People who commit relatively "minor" offenses get harsh draconian sentences simply because they had the audacity to "disrespect" the judge and/or the judge just didn't like them for whatever reason.

Sadly, i just wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing more here than a judge being unduly influenced by a remorseful criminal who bursts into tears in court and proclaims sincere remorse.

I'm all for mental illness and treatment, but mental illness does NOT negate a crime nor does it magically solve the danger said person presents to society.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Sad Truth is, judges hand down ridiculously light sentences all the time. That's part of the reason why some States have mandatory sentencing laws-- to get around certain bleeding heart judges that are susceptible to "certain" criminals when said criminal bursts out in tears in court and is "sorry".

There was a famous case a few years ago about some ubber rich kid raping a girl and then just getting probation. In any event, it is not unheard of for "some" judges to make really bad sentencing decisions. Conversely, the opposite happens as well. People who commit relatively "minor" offenses get harsh draconian sentences simply because they had the audacity to "disrespect" the judge and/or the judge just didn't like them for whatever reason.

Sadly, i just wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing more here than a judge being unduly influenced by a remorseful criminal who bursts into tears in court and proclaims sincere remorse.

I'm all for mental illness and treatment, but mental illness does NOT negate a crime nor does it magically solve the danger said person presents to society.
And do we have evidence that such was the case in this instance? I agree judges need training and proper vetting, but assuming undue leniency has a tendency of leading to over 1% of your population being in prison.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics