overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did you not read God's words to Ananias of Damascas when Paul was still blind? "I will show him how much he must SUFFER for my name sake."

Yes - suffering was God's will for him. Just as it was for our Lord.
I'd say Paul already suffered much with the thorn to his side. And more he suffered for his own doing.

I'd also say suffering is in store for all Christians. Isn't it what the bible says?

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OK. Good. Maybe you are starting to see it.

That passage deals with SALVATION. (not practice)
C'mon. Get a hold of how the process worked. It was "almost" seven days. But his own sacrifice would have been on the first day.

History, my friend. Read it.
I read Paul cutting his hair in Cenchrea about 3 years ago and I don't read Paul made any sacrifice in Jerusalem 3 years later.

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OK. Good. Maybe you are starting to see it.

That passage deals with SALVATION. (not practice)

Ok, way to spin in circles.

You said:
The answer is simple: the Abrahamic covenant (which was NOT done away with) is still in effect with the offspring of Jacob. Not so with the gentiles.

Scriptures say:
Galatians 3:
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Tough choice.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything biblical preventing Christians from keeping the Day of Atonement (aka:Yom Kippur). It starts at sunset on the 11th and goes through til sunset of the 12th. It's in Lev. 16:29-34 btw. I have strange reasons and a sincere desire to know. Thanks. Peace be with you.
Galatians 4
[21] Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? [22] For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. [23] But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. [24] Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. [25] For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. [26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. [27] For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. [28] Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. [29] But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. [30] Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. [31] So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I will also add that we have been living in the antitypical day of atonement since 1844... we should all be, as a matter of daily supplication, surrendering ourselves to God and asking Him to search us and reveal to us our transgressions that we may repent of them.

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this one of those things where people are convinced Christ died on Wed or Thursday and rose on Saturday OR that the Sabbath is Sunday that this statement points to? It says having ressurected ON the Sabbath. Something in this statement doesn't line up, or something! Lol WE know He kept Sabbath, even in death.

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is this one of those things where people are convinced Christ died on Wed or Thursday and rose on Saturday OR that the Sabbath is Sunday that this statement points to? It says having ressurected ON the Sabbath. Something in this statement doesn't line up, or something! Lol WE know He kept Sabbath, even in death.

That probably is the 'Christian' Sabbath: Sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip.Lee

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟15,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there anything biblical preventing Christians from keeping the Day of Atonement (aka:Yom Kippur). It starts at sunset on the 11th and goes through til sunset of the 12th. It's in Lev. 16:29-34 btw. I have strange reasons and a sincere desire to know. Thanks. Peace be with you.
To keep the day of atonement sacrifices need to be made by priests who are descendants of Aaron in the temple in Jerusalem. Can that be done? If it can't then whatever is done on the day is not keeping the day of atonement.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To keep the day of atonement sacrifices need to be made by priests who are descendants of Aaron in the temple in Jerusalem. Can that be done? If it can't then whatever is done on the day is not keeping the day of atonement.
That was the typical... we are now in the antitypical

Upvote 0

Philip.Lee

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟15,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That was the typical... we are now in the antitypical
Since keeping the feast was typical why pretend to keep it now. The anti-type has come, the feast is fulfilled, there's no reason to keep days and feasts defined under the old covenant since that covenant is over and a new one is in place.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since keeping the feast was typical why pretend to keep it now. The anti-type has come, the feast is fulfilled, there's no reason to keep days and feasts defined under the old covenant since that covenant is over and a new one is in place.
Adventists don't advocate feast keeping....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the way I got it figured, Christ entered into the Most Holy in 1844. It's an important day and year. It was the final or anti-type of the priests yearly quest into the earthly spot behind the Vale. They'd tie ropes to them in case they died because no one else could go in to retrieve em. Christ died , as far as I'm concerned, FOR ME. They say He would've come back for just one. I spent the day fasting, in prayer on my face thanking Him for getting all the stuff ready in heaven, for caring enough to accept me. I asked to be cleansed from all unrighteousness and pondered long at my wretched life and how I could better serve Him as well as what I could do to be more like Him. If I thought that that offended Him, I probably wouldn't have done it. I think it offended more people than it did Him, which I don't worry so much about like I do offending Him. Pharisees often were offended by others actions, including Christ's . Not so much with their own actions.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That probably is the 'Christian' Sabbath: Sunday.
No such a thing. The sabbath is the sabbath. The Jews keep it. Jesus kept it. And He kept it on what society calls "saturday."

WWJD.

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think he's talking about the way THEY look at it. Of course it's fictitious . Pagan even..., same as Ishtar Sunday. Bunnies n eggs. We should be ashamed. Makes me wonder how many folks speak out against the Day of Atonement that forget about Jeremiah 7:18 & 10:2-5 ?

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

No, there is not; but not because Christians are expected to observe Yom Kippur but because there is nothing about Christians in the Tanach. Yom Kippur means the Day of Atonement which was celebrated before as a prophecy and after it was fulfilled, the celebration continued in memory to the fulfillment.

How was Yom Kippur celebrated before the Day of Atonement? By sending a goat named the Scapegoat to Azazel through the desert towards the East. And how was the prophecy fulfilled? When Israel fell at the hands of Assyria (Amos 5:2) and was exiled forever to Assyria in atonement for Judah so that it could remain as a Lamp in Jerusalem forever for the sake of David. (I Kings 11:36) And why would that happen? Because HaShem had rejected Israel the Ten Tribes and confirmed Judah to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Psalm 78:67-70)

And finally, how it is celebrated today? In memory of what happened to Israel on behalf of Judah. Hence, Isaiah who was from Judah said, "He aka Israel was cut off from the Land of the Living aka the Land of Israel through the sin of my people aka Judah who deserved the punishment." (Isaiah 53:8)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Paul kept Passover - but nobody can "keep" Day of Atonement as written in Lev 16 because there is no temple and there are no priests and all the animal sacrifices met their fulfillment in the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ.

But apart from that - well yes you could observe it as a memorial or visual aide to discuss and study the work of Christ as our High Priest in Heaven - in the Most Holy Place... engaged in "Day of Atonement Judgment" of all mankind starting with the dead (Adam) and moving through time to the cases of the living.

Upvote 0