✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 15, verse 8 stood out:

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight."

This reminds me of Cain, and how he brought his "sacrifices" to God, and yet was insulting God in the very act of it because he was blatantly disobeying and disregarding God. He was, in essence saying, No God, i'm going to do this MY way. Who are YOU to tell me what to bring to You or HOW, or in what kind of attitude. You should be glad i brought you ANYTHING.

Now Cain KNEW what God required. YET he stubbornly refused.

And the bottom line is, that he had no regard for God, or fear (respect) for God, or love in his heart for God, but he despised God.

He didn't even seek repentance.

Not once.

Even after he killed his brother, he didn't repent.

This is what i thought of when i read the first part of verse 8:

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD"

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
16 Better is little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble therewith.
17 Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. - Proverbs 15

I heard a missionary say that they have a song in Mexico that went, "Jesus in the family... What a happy home!"

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pro 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. 18 he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife. 23 A word spoken in due season, how good is it! 28 The heart of the righteous studieth to answer. 33 before honour is humility.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
verse 1 Life Application Bible

A gentle answer turns away wrath....how true!

I remember teaching this to my children...

soft-answer.jpg

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 15:4

Proverbs 15:8

Proverbs 15:10
To leave the path is like not knowing it at all, at least that is what it says to me. But if you listen to correction, you can always come back to it.

Proverbs 15:11
No one is hidden from Him. Not one or anything.

Proverbs 15:14
I'm always looking for knowledge! More, more, MOAR!! :p

Proverbs 15:22
So true~!

Proverbs 15:28
I need to do this one more often... :oops:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 15, verse 1 stood out for me as it has for so many others on this thread. Wise words and they seep deeply into one's soul, mind, and heart, like "good seed" that is planted deep and thus take root by God Himself:

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."

What specifically stood out for me and it hit me as i was reading it, is the second part of the verse "grievous words"....and this is what came to mind:

"grievous words" grieve the Holy Spirit. They are "heart-breaking" for the Holy Spirit. The "stir up anger" part indicates that these "grievous words" that grieve the Holy Spirit, stir up GOD'S anger (His wrath).

Reminds me of Ephesians 4:30-31:

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:"

And regarding God's anger/wrath, Hebrews 10:31 comes to mind:

"It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 15, this verse stood out for me. It is saying that our tongue and what we say has a profound effect on others, and can even be healing, whereas our tongues used for harm can cause great harm to others:

Proverbs-15-4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

davidcrosby

Aug 7, 2016
US
✟8,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In reading Proverbs 15, verse 8 stood out:

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight."

This reminds me of Cain, and how he brought his "sacrifices" to God, and yet was insulting God in the very act of it because he was blatantly disobeying and disregarding God. He was, in essence saying, No God, i'm going to do this MY way. Who are YOU to tell me what to bring to You or HOW, or in what kind of attitude. You should be glad i brought you ANYTHING.

Now Cain KNEW what God required. YET he stubbornly refused.

And the bottom line is, that he had no regard for God, or fear (respect) for God, or love in his heart for God, but he despised God.

He didn't even seek repentance.

Not once.

Even after he killed his brother, he didn't repent.

This is what i thought of when i read the first part of verse 8:

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD"
And your thoughts brinny, took my thoughts even further in reference, to when Aaron’s sons had grabbed "strange fire" to offer to the Lord (Lev 10:1). They offered fire of their own doings and not of God’s. The fire for the incense offered to God was to come from the fire that God had kindled (Lev 9:24). And with that, Leviticus chapter 16 speaks of the death of Nadab and Abihu (Aaron’s sons) because of their own doings and not of God's.

Upvote 0