David Blaine - Magician or devil's helper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
starglider said:
I also believe David Blaine is a magician and not satan or anything else. But didn't he supposedly healed a dead bird with his hands? People concider that a miracle.
Apparently people are willing to give creedence to just about any kind of nonsense that you'd care to name.

But hey, if a magician is adroit enough to swap a live bird for a stuffed one, I don't know about you, but I'm willing to believe that he "healed a dead bird". And I am, of course, Czar of All the Russias.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
adam332 said:
David Blaine is the most convincing magician I've ever seen.
He is pretty good.

He did not train that fly that he caught to play dead, he killed it and it was witnessed.
So the question to ask is where the live fly came from. A magican swapping things on you is hardly new, is it? That's their stock in trade.

I have seen people say they can do the same levitation and show links to the Balducci levitation method. the only problem is he does not always perform it from the side, but the front as well.
Not while he's "levitated", he doesn't. That's part of the skill, to misdirect you into "seeing" something that he never actually did. That's what makes him (or any other top magician) so entertaining.

Please tell me what sleight of hand he used to get that playing card inside the police mans shoe and under his foot? His shoe was thoroughly laced, with his pant leg down.
Two possibilities. First, the cop was a shill. If that's out, then the card was never in the shoe at all. Forget what you "saw", the magician knows how to control where you look, and when.

I am not claiming that he has gained these abilities from satan, but I definitely don't rule it out.
Yeah, Satan is very keen on granting the "power" to do card tricks.

Satan will undoubtedly prepare the way for himself and his wonders. The people must be conditioned or no one will be fooled at all.
And what better than persuading people that a showman who does card tricks has been given "power" by Satan? Let's make Satan into the Giver of Power, thereby propagating his lies for him. Y'all go ahead, I'll pass. I'll simply remember that he's the Father of Lies, and give him all the credibility that he deserves. Which is to say none at all.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gary777 said:
But, im not saying that John Edwards and these psychics are not demonic, i really think they are(well, some of them at least, most of them are just in it for the money).
They're all in it for the money, and the money is very, very good. The gullible are willing to shell out big bucks, as often as not money that they can't even afford, to swine like John Edwards or Sylvia Browne. The "psychic" tells them some comforting lies, and pockets the cash. And the tricks that these "seers" and "necromancers" use aern't any more sophisticated, and generally less so, than the ones done by honest stage conjurors. Is there any wonder God hates that sort of thing?

There was a young girl here in Nashville who was apparently abducted from a school bus stop a couple of years ago. Her picture was in all the local papers and all over the teevee for weeks, no sign. (She still hasn't turned up, and, sad to say, she probably never will.) Sure as flies are drawn to fresh dung, here came the "psychics", volunteering their loathesome "services". The last I heard the grieving parents were "working with" Sylvia Browne, which is to say they were paying the miserable slug hundreds of dollars an hour to lie through her teeth to them. The result so far is as one would expect. The parents have spent money that, judging from the neighborhood they lived in they couldn't at all afford, to enrich a millionaire blood-sucking parasite who knew nothing and suspected nothing. And we wonder why God has condemned "seers" and "psychics"? They're a plague on the earth!

But we shouldn't be surprised that there are false prophets in the society ministring under demonic annoiting- it's just the devils copy of Gods power, trying to lure folks away from the gospel.
Why should the devil grant powers to anyone? (Assuming that he can, the Bible doesn't say any such thing.) People are so willing to transform satan into a little god that he needn't do anything at all, he can just sit by and let superstitious Christians carry his lies around for him.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RexMundi said:
just for your info here's a little something you might want to research: In about year 382 Constantine the Emperor of Rome declared Christianity the official religion of Rome. This was done as a measure to squash an impending civil war between the Christians and the Pegans living there. He re-wrote the bible omitting all but the Gospels that catered to his master plan.
If you believe that line of hogwash then you're as gullible as the folks who believe that Blaine actually has magical powers.

I am a devout Catholic.
Then it's high time you sat down with your priest and let him get you past some of the silly faux history that you've bought into.

Upvote 0

ebonyjane

Sep 19, 2005
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Please ignore my spelling, as I am rushing....

Wow, JIPSAH, you sound very emotional about this. Were all entitled to our own opinions. If we have questions that can not be clearly answered, than it is comforting to know there are christian resources.

Just like God, regardless of wether you believe in him, he DOES exist. But it is your belief that makes him real in your world. Do you catch my drift?

Energy exists, whether or not it is tangible. It's all about spirit and spiritual energy is far greater than flesh or matter, for that matter.

This blaine dude has done much more than levitate. Forget the Tricks. He pushes the limit of what human beings are capable of (ie: standing on a pillar for a day and a half, suspending himself in a box with out food for 44 days, etc.)

We are capable of somuch more than just the desires of the flesh. So (tee-hee) put down the hamburger! Christ came closer to god after serious fasting. Fasting is amazing, spiritually speaking. Try it for a day (with juice and/or water of course).

It is to be done in a manner of humility and secrecy. Matthew 6:16-18 Luke 18:9-14
Fasting is closely related to prayer and reading of the Word : I Samuel 1:6-8, 17-18
Etc. etc. etc.

Push yourself to higher heights and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve when you are with the lord.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
Wow, JIPSAH, you sound very emotional about this.
I am. I hate to see Christians deceived by superstition like the most benighted pagan.

Were all entitled to our own opinions.
Sure, but let's not deceive ourselves into believing that all opinions are equally valid. Some folks are of the opinion that the world is flat, but it isn't.

Just like God, regardless of wether you believe in him, he DOES exist. But it is your belief that makes him real in your world. Do you catch my drift?
No, I don't. God is real whether anyone chooses to believe in Him or not. Reality is what it is no matter how we happen to feel about it. If you're wandering into the "subjective reality" trip, please don't. It's monumentally silly and unworthy of any Christian.

Energy exists, whether or not it is tangible. It's all about spirit and spiritual energy is far greater than flesh or matter, for that matter.
Which is all very nice, but has nothing whatsoever to do with whether David Blaine can actually "levitate" or not. He can't. It's a trick. An old trick to boot. That's what magicians do; tricks.

This blaine dude has done much more than levitate. Forget the Tricks. He pushes the limit of what human beings are capable of (ie: standing on a pillar for a day and a half, suspending himself in a box with out food for 44 days, etc.)
No "magic" or spooky powers required for those things, just training and fortitude. Remember, this is what he does for a living. It's not a casual hobby for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
No need for appoligies. If you are intent on this conclusion, then perhaps you have not seen Mr. Blaine's preformances.
Yes, I have seen his performances. All of them. And it was after watching them that the exposes came out about 6 months later and exposed all the amazing tricks he performed as illusionist tricks. The levitation. The mind reading. The card tricks. Everything he did, Jane, were all illusions.

Ever wonder why there haven't been anymore Blaine "street magic" shows over the past 2 years? Simple...all of his tricks have been exposed, so all the mystery is gone. So he's left with doing feats of endurance, like the whole ice chamber thing.

ebonyjane said:
For the sake of educating yourself, I reccomend you watch one of his "street magic" shows and then tell me about smoke and mirrors.
Again, I have seen all of his shows. I remember my dad and I being amazed at his performances and trying our darndest to figure out how he did it. And then I saw how illusionists perform the same stunts and trick people like you and I into believing that they're real. Like I said before, the fact that you believe his illusions are genuine acts of magic is just a testament to how good he is at fooling his audience. It's too bad you never saw the shows exposing Blaine because your eyes would be opened and you'd recognize Blaine's stunts as parlor tricks. Very good ones, at that.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

ebonyjane

Sep 19, 2005
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Mr. Blaine is a master at the art of distraction in some cases.

But explain killing a fly, holding it in his palm staring at it and it comes back to life and flys away, infront of a group of skeptical NYC firefighters who were dumbfounded.

I am not talking about levitation or card tricks. I am talking about the Dawn thing. The watch in the jewlery store, which was closed.

or when The guy picks up an empty beer can infront of two picnicers then it starts to fill up infront of them, suddenly in his hands is a full, unopened beer can. Infront of these shocked people.

I don't want to debate weather or not he is a fraud or not.

He isgood at what he does. Good enough to have me here typing about him at 11 at night.

I don't know of any one who thinks the world is flat. (?)

Im not wandering into any"trip", just discussing. Any you do catch my drift, you repeated what I said.

I appreciate and respect your opinion. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this matter with me. I will do some more due dilligence ofmy own as well as pray for some answers.

I noticed that you reffered to pshycics (sp) with folly. What is your opinion on psycic abillity? If you don't mind my asking....

Peace and blessings,

EJSB:wave:

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
Mr. Blaine is a master at the art of distraction in some cases.
All magicians (well, all who are any good, anyway) are masters of "distraction". They call it "misdirection", and it's at the heart of every magic trick.

But explain killing a fly, holding it in his palm staring at it and it comes back to life and flys away, infront of a group of skeptical NYC firefighters who were dumbfounded.
Switched fly or frozen fly or both.

I don't want to debate weather or not he is a fraud or not.
He's not a fraud as far as I know. If he was he'd be claiming to have "powers" of some sort and bilking people out of their money. He's a stage magician, doing what stage magicians do. And doing it very well.

I noticed that you reffered to pshycics (sp) with folly. What is your opinion on psycic abillity? If you don't mind my asking....
"Psychics" are of two kinds, stage psychics, who are in fact simply another brand of stage magician, and those "psychics" who are frauds, liars, deceivers, grifters, con artists, thieves, swindlers, and crooks, who manipulate people with their line of garbage.

Yeah, I've heard all the blather about "Satan gives psychic powers". Baloney. The Bible doesn't say anything of the kind. In fact, there's no indication in the Bible that Satan even has a lot of the powers that psychics claim (e.g., the ability to foretell the future), much less the ability or desire to bestow those powers on human beings.

The trick is that, push come down to shove, "psychics" and whatnot can't do the things they claim they can do. Uri Geller can't bend a spoon that has carbon black on the bowl that would show up if he touched it. Remote viewers can't tell you what's in a closed closet across the hall. Mind readers can't tell their "marks" anything that the marks haven't told them first (Psychic: "I see someone named John...: Mark: "No, I don't..." Psychic: "... no not John, Bob... " Mark: "No, I don't..." Psychic: "... no, a B, Bill..." Mark: "I had an uncle named William!" Psychic: "Yes, he's crossed over. He's telling me it was his heart, right?" Mark: "Yes, he had a heart attack! Oh my gosh, how could you know?" Psychic: "Uncle William says he's happy now, etc. etc. etc."). It's all a fraud, all a lie, all moonshine. That's why God has forbidden it, it's a criminal fraud.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
Well, there you have it, you are obviously very skeptical.
Yep. If somebody claims to be able to perform some wonder or the other, one that seems to fly in the face of plain reason, I have to see some evidence before I believe it. In the case of "psychics" and similar nasty pieces of work, the evidence says that they're frauds and charlatans. They have no more "power" than does a hog, and there's nothing (as in NOTHING) in the Bible to support the belief that they do. It's pure superstition, and Christians ought to know better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebonyjane

Sep 19, 2005
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Well, JIP, regardless weather you care to believe or not,some people have what is known as a sixth sence.

We can sence things before they are going to happen etc. Im not going to elaborate to those who are so closed minded as to say that all psycics are frauds, charlatans andnasty people.

HOW DARE YOU! That is harldy christian behavior and is frankly hurtful and very, very ignorant.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.