Dave W's chit chat thread

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats actually pretty cool!
Several years ago Keaggy played at a church near where I live and I got to introduce my son to him. Keaggy actually picked me out of the line and stopped to talk to us.

Upvote 0

Amy Lohter

Oct 26, 2017
Ohio
✟11,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Several years ago Keaggy played at a church near where I live and I got to introduce my son to him. Keaggy actually picked me out of the line and stopped to talk to us.
Thats pretty cool

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats pretty cool
Indeed. I have known (to a small degree) him since about 1974 or 5. He was in a band with Paul Clark who was a close friend of the senior pastor of that congregation, and the Clark and Keaggy played concerts at our congregation once or twice a year for several years. When Keaggy went solo, if he was playing a gig in the area, he attended services at our church.

Reactions: Amy Lohter
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. I have known (to a small degree) him since about 1974 or 5. He was in a band with Paul Clark who was a close friend of the senior pastor of that congregation, and the Clark and Keaggy played concerts at our congregation once or twice a year for several years. When Keaggy went solo, if he was playing a gig in the area, he attended services at our church.

Which church was that, Dave?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mines a long story where i was brought up with one religion and then another so i wont go into it aa it was confusing partly but im ok now
We got time. So go into it already.

What prompted the change?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK guys. Getting kinda quiet here.

What y'all got?

Well, taking the cue from your post to Amy ...

I was born in the Midwest about 60 years ago.

My family was primarily Baptist ... and many of us attended the same smallish Baptist church (150-200 members). I grew up in the church, attending Sunday School and Vacation Bible School at the local Church of Christ, and became a confessing believer (got baptized) when I was around nine years old. My church had lots of good-natured activities, pitch-ins, picnics, and a fairly lively Youth ministry.

While in my teens, I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, who caused me to be fairly open-minded about my faith, though I held to it tightly.

I continued to attend the family church, eventually joined the church choir, through my love of music. Upon my attendance at an out-of-state college, for the first time I found my Sundays free, in that I chose not to attend church while at school,(though I would attend when I was back home). At some point, a friend of mine at school joined a church in the town where I went to school, and I accepted his offer to visit.

The visit was nice, though I noted that when they sang the old hymn "When we all get to Heaven", .... they had changed the words to "When the SAVED get to Heaven." At the end of the service, I was introduced to the presiding minister and his wife, who invited me to attend a Bible Study where I could learn how to be a christian.

At that point, I happily informed my new friends that I already was a christian ... and was surprised when I immediately got push-back, ... that all of the denominations were wrong in their teaching ... and that the only way I could be saved was to join "their group". Well, I pushed back as well, and said that I had been a believer/christian for at least 10 years by then, and defending my church practices against the charges of "using instruments in the church services", refering to our ministers as "Reverend", etc. I walked out of that church service and 30-40 minute post-service confrontation still holding desperately to my faith, wanting to ensure that I hadn't been just fooling myself over the past ten years.

One thing that was said to me that night stuck ... "that I believed what I believed ... because I was taught it (i.e. I hadn't really done my own independent study). So that night, I determined to discover the truths of my faith ... from scripture (as I had been taught). Since then, I have read through the bible a couple times, and have read countless books on christian history, belief, and practice.

I still attend my hometown church, though I am more apt, these days, to refer to myself as a Christian, than as a Baptist. In addition to participating in the Music Ministry, I also have served, or continue to serve, as a Deacon, Bible Teacher, Benevolence Ministry leader, etc. The church is struggling some now, and having difficulty in attracting younger attendees ... while the older members pass on from time to time.

I have grown as a christian, and continue to grow, and like to interact with those who are active in their christian faith, as well. That's why I participate here, ... in Christians forums. I have been active on similar forums since the year 2000 or so.

I am more ecumenistic than not, ... believing that the church is at its best when it is demonstrating the LOVE of Jesus.

And with that sentiment in mind, ... God's blessings to you all ...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And with that sentiment in mind, ... God's blessings to you all ...
Nice and thanks for sharing!

I grew up in Church of the Nazarene, but when my mom got "baptized in the holy ghost" at a pentecostal bible study group, we got kicked out. So we joined a Pentecostal church. In Highschool I attended a Church of Christ for a while and it was the first time I was told I was NOT a christian until I got water baptized. No one in the CotN, Independent Pentecostal or Assembly of God ever said that. So I got baptized. (almost 10 years after I had repented and chose Christ)

My best friend thru all of that time was Catholic. So I had a rather broad ecumenical base as well.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Amy - your profile says you are in Ohio. The radio said there was extensive flooding in Ohio and surrounding states (like Kentucky)

Is everything ok where you are?

• Friendly
Reactions: Amy Lohter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im into mostly pop music but i actually like a lot of instruments like piano and saxophone. But i just cant play them
We have a nephew learning the saxophone.

So you would probably be more into hard rock than classical music?

Upvote 0