Daughter wants to wear crop top to family Thanksgiving

OK for a belly button ring to be visible on Thanksgiving?

• Yes, it's fine.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but only to be rebellious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Instead of reacting there's maybe a case for embracing the event and sometimes even proactively making sure the daughter has it hygienically put in through a clean cut at a reputable, licensed parlor. (Do you feel you received a bit of an overreaction at least at first?)
No, not even with my Dad. He just voiced his concerns and said he had to think on in. It wasn't like he flew off the handle. My parents are not like that.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, not even with my Dad. He just voiced his concerns and said he had to think on in. It wasn't like he flew off the handle. My parents are not like that.
Well, sounds like irrespective of this matter you have really great parents in any case.

Did you also — as it seems — convincingly & quickly allay whatever his concerns were?

In any event there's not a lot of logic to holding out until the last possible moment until parlors can do it anyway without their permission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, sounds like irrespective of this matter you have really great parents in any case.

Did you also — as it seems — convincingly & quickly allay whatever his concerns were?

In any event there's not a lot of logic to holding out until the last possible moment until parlors can do it anyway without their permission.
Yes, I did answer his concerns but not quickly. I wanted to thoughtfully give time to my answers. I was a pretty mature kid and I also thank my parents for that. My Dad knew this in me and he listened to my answers and we went back and forth a bit but he decided I was mature enough and it was going to be no harm. He also knew in 2 years time I was going to do this on my own anyway. I was also paying for it myself with babysitting money I had saved up overtime so that helped my argument.

• Winner
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I did answer his concerns but not quickly. I wanted to thoughtfully give time to my answers. I was a pretty mature kid and I also thank my parents for that. My Dad knew this in me and he listened to my answers and we went back and forth a bit but he decided I was mature enough and it was going to be no harm. He also knew in 2 years time I was going to do this on my own anyway. I was also paying for it myself with babysitting money I had saved up overtime so that helped my argument.
Oh so you were already deeply determined to have it put in once you would turn 18? He must have gotten the impression anyway from your argument and answers that you were irrevocably dedicated to receiving it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh so you were already deeply determined to have it put in once you would turn 18? He must have gotten the impression anyway from your argument and answers that you were irrevocably dedicated to receiving it.
I don't know if I was deeply determined. Things could have changed over a 2 year period of time.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I was deeply determined. Things could have changed over a 2 year period of time.
Well, okay. I guess I was referring to what you said here: "He also knew in 2 years time I was going to do this on my own anyway."

Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, okay. I guess I was referring to what you said here: "He also knew in 2 years time I was going to do this on my own anyway."
At the time when I was 16 that was the plan for sure. If it would have went down that I would have had to wait things could have changed as well.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At the time when I was 16 that was the plan for sure. If it would have went down that I would have had to wait things could have changed as well.
Oh I see; that explains it more. I guess that by now that you will also have explained it to your bf and that he, as well as your dad did, respects your decision to have it?

Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh I see; that explains it more. I guess that by now that you will also have explained it to your bf and that he, as well as your dad did, respects your decision to have it?
Once I get older and possibly out of college and down the road to marriage I will probably take it out. It was more of a teen thing for me and even now I don't even think much of it or pay much attention to it. I don't wear those cropped shirts and the only time anyone other than myself can see it is if I am in a bikini and at the beach or the pool.

• Informative
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Once I get older and possibly out of college and down the road to marriage I will probably take it out. It was more of a teen thing for me and even now I don't even think much of it or pay much attention to it. I don't wear those cropped shirts and the only time anyone other than myself can see it is if I am in a bikini and at the beach or the pool.
Yes, although not absolutely obligatory, it's really part of the dress code to have it in, if the swimsuit is a bikini rather than a one piece outfit. The moment you eventually remove it, of course, you'll remember - won't you? - that experiences differ widely as to whether the hole closes up soon thereafter or whether in fact it proves easy to put it back in. So as a woman without regrets for having it, you'll just eventually have to make the call yourself as to when or whether you start to run the risk of not being able to put the barbell back in if you eventually take it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, although not absolutely obligatory, it's really part of the dress code to have it in, if the swimsuit is a bikini rather than a one piece outfit. The moment you eventually remove it, of course, you'll remember - won't you? - that experiences differ widely as to whether the hole closes up soon thereafter or whether in fact it proves easy to put it back in. So as a woman without regrets for having it, you'll just eventually have to make the call yourself as to when or whether you start to run the risk of not being able to put the barbell back in if you eventually take it out.
It will be my decision. I suppose if I become a Pastors Wife in the future that will weigh on my decision to taking it out. Even though I would never tell a young women who wants a belly button ring that they shouldn't get one to experience it there comes a time where you move on from things. Like you said it will be my decision to when this happens.

I don't know how this thread became about me and my belly button ring, but I do think we should get back onto the original posters topic and not just my personal experience with my belly button ring.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It will be my decision. I suppose if I become a Pastors Wife in the future that will weigh on my decision to taking it out. Even though I would never tell a young women who wants a belly button ring that they shouldn't get one to experience it there comes a time where you move on from things. Like you said it will be my decision to when this happens.

I don't know how this thread became about me and my belly button ring, but I do think we should get back onto the original posters topic and not just my personal experience with my belly button ring.
Yes, good idea; I think @ChristineAdler 's daughter's experience and your experience have been highly similar, haven't they?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose, but I hate taken over a thread.
IMO, your situation spoke a lot to the op's question.

And, btw, I congratulate you on handling the situation so maturely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank You
Yes, @Dave-W is of course right, similar to the OP; seems like several years ago you were already able to handle responsibility for the insertion procedure like the maturing adult that you as a woman were already becoming.

Reactions: *Jesus Freak*
Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, @Dave-W is of course right, similar to the OP; seems like several years ago you were already able to handle responsibility for the insertion procedure like the maturing adult that you as a woman were already becoming.
All because of the proper raising from my parents. I owe it all to them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...and they in turn, when the moment of truth came, simply recognized that you were well capable of instructing the parlor for the hollow needle and barbell.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Humility also. :)

But you have to own a good piece of that as well. When you are the parent of teens you will understand that. As a parent, you can do all the right things and give all the right info; but if the child does not apply it, it does little good. It takes both sides.

Upvote 0