Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't seem to me that there is an agenda other than showing kids how to accept others as they are. It shows kids that they can care about others, even if they don't have a lifestyle that's the same or have a different beliefs. Which is what Christians are supposed to do. It's not out job to change others, only love them.

My oldest son is on the spectrum, too. He struggles with gender identity and sexual orientation. You know what? That's between him and God. I've taught him faith and that the Bible is God's message to us. Getting in the way of him working out who he is and how he should live will only hurt him.

Autism, gender issues, mental illness, etc are huge issues. You can't possibly understand it completely because no one does, not even experts. However, God does. You have to let go of some control and trust God to take care of your daughter and help her work out her life according to His plan.

This a million times over, totally agree with you!

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Btw, the autism spectrum is a developmental disability. They have difficulty developing as they grow up. Gender identity and sexual orientation is a part of development. If things aren't connecting typically, then it is not unreasonable that they would struggle with these points. Their development take longer and some parts of development never seem to come about. I wouldn't worry too much. What seems like a major ordeal now might not even be an issue later.

• Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Btw, the autism spectrum is a developmental disability. They have difficulty developing as they grow up. Gender identity and sexual orientation is a part of development. If things aren't connecting typically, then it is not unreasonable that they would struggle with these points. Their development take longer and some parts of development never seem to come about. I wouldn't worry too much. What seems like a major ordeal now might not even be an issue later.

That was totally true with my sister. She has asperger's. Idk that she ever thought she was gay or anything but she struggled with identity still. It was confusing when all the girls started to get so into girly stuff & she didn't get the point of it. My mom got her expensive makeup she said she wanted bc everybody had raved about it so much she thought it was like something she had to have. Then she didn't think it was any fun & didn't get the point of it. She never dated in hs & never was interested in anybody.
She just needed more time to sort things out! She's 22 now, she's dating a really amazing guy who also has Asperger's. She's happy!

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not pull her out of school. I think it makes sense to let her continue with the club.

If she does somehow change her mind later, the club probably won't get in the way. Teenagers are good enough at changing direction 180 degrees that a bunch of politically active adults are no barrier.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with you. The LGBTQ thing is getting really pushy. Hormone blockers and genital prosthetics... really?? That is not teaching kids to cope, but rather pushing an agenda that doesn't sound like much of a solution in her case, and has lifelong ramifications.

I certainly wouldn't homeschool her either. I think that is such a disservice to kids. It sounds like the school is really flexible, acknowledges your concerns and is willing to accommodate her needs. But if you don't want her in the LBGTQ club, then that's your right as a parent. Every adult I know has a story about something their parents didn't let them do. No big deal. There are other clubs where she can feel included and supported.

Upvote 0