Southern CA
✟9,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This breaks my heart. I pray daily. A year or so ago she mentioned she was questioning her sexuality. She's in her early teens. I also need her to find Jesus.
Dang, wish you the best on dealing with this. I think a common trap the youth are led into is that their feelings are a source of identity. Many soon-to-be teachers from my school are moving on training elementary school students into such an idea. Since she's at the age where identity becomes more apparent, have you engaged in any explicit (more direct/open) discussions with her about identity?

Upvote 0

John42

Feb 15, 2020
Toronto
✟20,121.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This breaks my heart. I pray daily. A year or so ago she mentioned she was questioning her sexuality. She's in her early teens. I also need her to find Jesus.

She might be in a phase. She may pass through this. Probably will.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is probably a hard time for your daughter, as she sorts everything out. Remind her that you love her and God loves her, no matter what, and that you're a listening ear and a safe place for her.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2020
Southern CA
✟9,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate all your prayers. Just got done reading "A Change of Affection" by Becket Cook. I keep praying daily.
I think that's the best thing. In my experience in ministry, direct and persistent challenges could backfire, unless she's the kind of girl who really appreciates and respects leadership. If she's the opposite, the heart wants what the heart wants, and I think prayer, love, and being that "person" she can confide (as PloverWing said) can be used by God in the future when she's seeking Him. Keep up the prayers!

Upvote 0

Kolleen

Feb 4, 2020
Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Retoduck,

Your daughter must be going through such a hard time finding her identity. Stay positive and continue praying. I suggest maybe getting her involved in church fellowship so she can strengthen her faith and have a daughter and father bonding discussion regarding her sexuality (Remember don’t be demanding and hateful but also state the concerns). The reason why I suggested this is because when my mother was being demanding where she was against me dating this guy, I was frustrated and it made me go against her even more. I hope this helps a

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2020
Southern CA
✟9,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Retoduck,

Your daughter must be going through such a hard time finding her identity. Stay positive and continue praying. I suggest maybe getting her involved in church fellowship so she can strengthen her faith and have a daughter and father bonding discussion regarding her sexuality (Remember don’t be demanding and hateful but also state the concerns). The reason why I suggested this is because when my mother was being demanding where she was against me dating this guy, I was frustrated and it made me go against her even more. I hope this helps a
Actually, this is momofone's thread

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Prayers for your daughter as she comes to terms with her sexuality, that she will find love and grace in a world that is very often unwelcoming and hostile towards people who perceive things differently to us. I pray that she will experience peace and hope in Jesus Christ, whose love crossed all boundaries and who had a special compassion for those who were misunderstood or alienated. It is my hope that she will come to faith, not through fear of abandonment or rejection, but she will come to Christ because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).
And I pray for you that your daughter will continue to be a great encouragement to you. With all the chaos going on in the world at the present time, our families and loved ones are a blessing and a treasure truly worth holding onto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the sad world we live in. The world teaches our kids whats "normal" and we are stuck dealing with what they do because of it. I will pray for you. I honestly don't think I could deal with such a situation. If my kid was old enough I would tell them they would have to move out at 18 because I won't support that stuff under my roof.

Upvote 0

momofone1

Nov 18, 2018
GA
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In addition to prayers, change her school, I would home school if I was in your Shoes. Teach her God's word and establish in her the fear of God. God bless
I don't think I could homeschool. I also think it would make things worse if we took her out of her high school. I wish we would have put her in a Christian school from the beginning. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm still praying for her to find Jesus. We watch our church's online sermons every Sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mac267

Jul 24, 2020
Illinois
✟15,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
as most priests will tell you, feeling homosexual tendencies is not a sin. Most priests say homosexual BEHAVIOR is. Butdo not tell your child that homosexuality is only a sin if she acts on it. at first when i came to terms with the fact that i was a lesbian, i felt scared and hopeless and didn’t know what to do because i thought it meant i was going to hell for certain. later i was told (in an attempt to comfort me) that it’s only a sin if i act on it. that meant i could either go to hell, or spend my life alone repressing my feelings. you know what i started doing to cope? one) i started cutting myself. every time i looked at the girl i had feelings for i’d hurt myself in an attempt to “fix” myself. second) i was told suicides landed you in hell too, so instead i would break down crying in the church bathroom begging god to give me a terminal illness or to will a car to swerve and hit me. once my self hatred stemmed from that, it stayed with me for years, and it’s still not completely gone. If you tell her that she’s only a sinner if she acts on her orientation, or at all, then she will either grow to resent you, the church, herself, or all three. I pray to God that either you change, or that your daughter is able to get far far away from you.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I pray to God that either you change, or that your daughter is able to get far far away from you.

That doesn't sound good
nor loving.
M

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Mac267

Jul 24, 2020
Illinois
✟15,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That doesn't sound good
nor loving.
M
it is. it’s loving towards their daughter, who I don’t want to become another lgbt youth suicide statistic. It’s love to want to protect someone from the circumstances that nearly drove me to suicide. It’s love to make the original poster understand the gravity of a situation, because nobody deserves to lose a child, especially by suicide.

• Agree
Reactions: Davist
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a thirteen-year-old daughter who, several months ago let me know that she is gay. It was initially a shock, but only initially.

I have accepted her for who she is. I still love her for who she is. That will never change! I will not try to change her. I will not throw bible verses at her. She is who she is.

Upvote 0

Mac267

Jul 24, 2020
Illinois
✟15,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a thirteen-year-old daughter who, several months ago let me know that she is gay. It was initially a shock, but only initially.

I have accepted her for who she is. I still love her for who she is. That will never change! I will not try to change her. I will not throw bible verses at her. She is who she is.
Thank you so much. I’m sure it means a lot to her. I assure you you’re doing the right thing. Reacting the way you did is the best thing you can do for your child and for her faith.

Upvote 0