• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Dating someone who isn't the same denomination

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Jesusthekingofking, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Jesusthekingofking

Jesusthekingofking Active Member

+97
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Calvinist and non Calvinist, what's the issue? As long as the sermon isn't lean on one side heavily it is OK.

2. Jesusthekingofking

+97
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So which church does your your children go to growing up? A baptist church nearby?

3. Jesusthekingofking

+97
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    From which denomination to what denomination? If the gap is big eg. from non protestant to roman Catholic the shift is not easy.

4. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+15,705
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Churches of Christ to Anglican. I guess that's not a very small gap.

But the point I was making is, I never expected him to shift. I was very willing to support him in his involvement in his previous church, and did for years. Likewise he has supported my involvement in my church, even to the extent of becoming a clergy spouse.

Ecumenical marriages don't work when one or both spouses disrespects or undermines the other in their faith commitment.

5. mama2one

mama2one Well-Known Member

+8,168
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    we attend more than one Christian church

child's in the online youth group started by one church when covid closed all churches in our area

she learned about the different types of prayer at last week's class

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  6. Jesusthekingofking

+97
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    protestant to protestant, what's the biggest struggle?

7. Paidiske

+15,705
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I think there are two key areas. Infant baptism and the role of the clergy. In the Church of Christ, for example, laity can preside at communion; in the Anglican church, they cannot. And that reflects some very different underlying strands of ecclesiology and ministry.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+694
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Children...which denomination would you choose for them? (If you have been so blessed, or in the future)

9. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+1,254
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, I suppose we think that the our church home is the best for the kids, otherwise I suppose we'd go to another.

10. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+10,553
    Non-Denom
    Some folks, however, don't have many alternatives available so they end up choosing the least of the evils. For example, in a small town there might be a Catholic and a Baptist church. If one is a Missouri Synod Lutheran church member, that means either not attending either of the two churches or choosing between the liturgical church (Catholic) or a sola scriptura church (Baptist).

11. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,227
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I wouldn't see why not, for Protestants are in agreement with the essential doctrines that unite them. It seems to be the outsider who assumes that Protestant denominations don't get along at all, and that we see each other as heretics. This is false. Protestants are mutual in their learning from each other. However, I will say that Presbyterians prefer to marry/date other denominations similar to theirs in regard to certain doctrinal points, such as infant baptism.

12. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+6,049
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Of course.
    Unless it's a problem for the two people involved.

13. bbbbbbb

+10,553
    Non-Denom
    Sometimes it is not a problem for the individuals, but family members, especially parents, may object.

14. Strong in Him

+6,049
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Which could be hard - but some parents might also object if their child is marrying someone of a different religion, colour or social class. When does it get to the point where someone marries to please themselves, not their parents?

15. bbbbbbb

+10,553
    Non-Denom
    It reaches that point where there are no consequences. In modern western society it has become standard for parents to abdicate on passing their values and beliefs to their children, leaving that to the education system, such as it is.

16. Marumorose

Marumorose Member

+162
    South Africa
    Christian
    Single
    Genesis 2:24 says "That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become ONE flesh. You cannot become one flesh if you go to different churches. There will be disagreements and conflicts because of different beliefs the churches have.
    May God Bless you

17. Strong in Him

+6,049
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    That's not true; my husband and I go to different churches.
    I know of people who are married who are both ministers - in different denominations.

We all believe the same Gospel - any other differences are minor and not that important.

18. Paidiske

+15,705
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Of course you can. If you can genuinely support and honour one another, it doesn't matter whether you're under the same church roof all the time.

In my experience there was extremely little disagreement or conflict because of different beliefs. Even the question of infant baptism was one we navigated with good grace towards one another.