Dating is a sin- just be friends till your married, no need to complicate...

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
again if dating is important, it would be mentioned yes. After all God knew the idea of dating when the Bible was written. God named king cyrus hundreds of years before he was even born. don't you think he could do that same thing? Donkeys are in the Bible, cars are not. But locomotion is mentioned. So to marriage is mentioned, being engaged is mentioned, but dating is not. Therefore it's technically not biblical.
Computers are not mentioned in the Bible but you are using one. My former Amish neighbors are at least consistent—they don’t use technology not because they think it’s evil but because they don’t want it to take control of their lives. That, they believe, would draw their attention away from God.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, neither are many things. Us using these forums on the internet isn't in the Bible. Will you stop using them?

If not, that's hypocritical.

ok so let me just ask you, what is the Bible to you? Is it God's word? Does God see the end from the beginning? When God wrote the Bible did he incorporate only cultural things that only applied to that day and age. Or did He write timeless truths that we can open and unlock to this day and glean from. So I think it's a basically flaw in how people interpret the Bible. If the Bible is not literal, then we don't need to obey it. But the Bible is literal, and we do have to obey it.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Computers are not mentioned in the Bible but you are using one. My former Amish neighbors are at least consistent—they don’t use technology not because they think it’s evil but because they don’t want it to take control of their lives. That, they believe, would draw their attention away from God.
I think I already adressed this.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again Guys how we relate to people is pivotal to the root concepts of christianity. You guys are talking about computers and cars and all this 20th century stuff. But that is equivocation. You are equivocating computers, with loving other people through relationships. I think relationships crosses cultural boundaries. That is why things like sin, 2000 years ago, many times are the exact same sins we do today. Lie, cheat, steal.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Again Guys how we relate to people is pivotal to the root concepts of christianity. You guys are talking about computers and cars and all this 20th century stuff. But that is equivocation. You are equivocating computers, with loving other people through relationships. I think relationships crosses cultural boundaries. That is why things like sin, 2000 years ago, many times are the exact same sins we do today. Lie, cheat, steal.
Again, and you have been told this many times, you are taking something that isn’t in the Bible and trying to mak it the commandment of thou shall not date.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟173,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How far is too far? 1 Timothy 5:2 says to treat older women as mothers and younger women as sisters with absolute purity. I guess you don't french kiss your sister right? I guess you don't have grabby hands at your sisters behind right? No that is not absolute purity. Again friendship draws a perfect line for you. Dating as it is defined currently is a sin.

What is she is 1.5 years older than you? Do you still treat her as a mother, or a sister?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
ok so let me just ask you, what is the Bible to you? Is it God's word? Does God see the end from the beginning? When God wrote the Bible did he incorporate only cultural things that only applied to that day and age. Or did He write timeless truths that we can open and unlock to this day and glean from. So I think it's a basically flaw in how people interpret the Bible. If the Bible is not literal, then we don't need to obey it. But the Bible is literal, and we do have to obey it.

This is a feeble attempt to discredit me and I see right through it.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

You are purposely missing the point.

You keep saying that dating isn't in the Bible, well, the things I mentioned aren't either. Either you take the Bible completely literally, in which case you are being hypocritical in using your device to post on this board using the internet which neither is in the Bible, or you realize that just because it isn't in the Bible, doesn't make it sin.

As Bella said, dating isn't a sin, it's what's done during dating that can be sinful. You admitted that you sinned while dating, but where you err is to say that all dating is sin.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Queen Africa

Jun 2, 2020
Baltimore, MD
✟8,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well lets analyze this, I asked people what are the reasons to date someone. Most say "to get to know someone." Well you can do that in a friendship, probably more accurately than you can in a dating relationship. so say a boy opens a door for a girl, how do you know he isn't just doing it so he can "score later." A friend on the other hand, you know that he has pure motive for opening a door for a woman, there is no possibility of a score or any physical interaction. Instead of "getting to know someone" while dating, what people are really trying to say is that they want a warm body to cuddle with, and instead of "knowing them" they desire to really "know them romantically." That is why people date. The third reason people date is "be claimed." I mean we are lonely, adam was lonely and he wanted eve. He saw all the animals that they were paired off male and female, and he is like ...."where is my female?" So people desire to be with someone. Well again the Bible does not validate "claiming someone" who is not your spouse. God does not see the dating aspect of relationships. There are very little if any verses on dating, however there are many verses on marriage. And I know why, it's because there are not physical benefits, no claim-ability or anything to dating someone. So there is no point. Why date someone you can't kiss? Why say ....this is my boyfriend, this is my fiance, this is my date......when God only sees marriage. According to God you are single still. It is wiser to avoid temptation all together and just stay friends, at least you know where the lines are. But as soon as you kiss, you have to start drawing boundaries, what types of kisses and where can I kiss and get away with it? Is making out, but not having sex sinful? And all these compromises come up. But again I ask you the question. Imagine you are being physical with someone elses spouse. That should scare you. Because you don't know if that is your spouse till you are married. That could be someone elses spouse. So I will finish this with one quote "they reach puberty at age 13, and many of them don't get married till after 30, thats two decades of coupling uncoupling, hooking up, relationships, shopping around." David brooks of the new york times in an article called social frontiers facing the young modern single.

How far is too far? 1 Timothy 5:2 says to treat older women as mothers and younger women as sisters with absolute purity. I guess you don't french kiss your sister right? I guess you don't have grabby hands at your sisters behind right? No that is not absolute purity. Again friendship draws a perfect line for you. Dating as it is defined currently is a sin.

I agree with your views. Dating constitutes an immoral sin. Dating is basically a friendship with a casual sexual relationship. That is ungodly behavior, and everyone should avoid it. The best thing to do is wait until God brings you your life-time spouse, then once they're married sex is okay.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with your views. Dating constitutes an immoral sin. Dating is basically a friendship with a casual sexual relationship. That is ungodly behavior, and everyone should avoid it. The best thing to do is wait until God brings you your life-time spouse, then once they're married sex is okay.

Dating doesn't equate to sex. Just because two people are dating it doesn't mean they are having sex.

Do people date and have sex, you betcha, but people don't have to date to have sex.

Upvote 0