:-)
Apr 6, 2013
Johannesburg
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. I am a Christian single woman. At first I was not dating because I had daddy issues and trust issues with men because of the lack of male role models in my life. However, now I am single because I have been focused on developing myself, career, mental, physical and spiritual.
However, I am curious and I do wonder if I will ever date or marry. I am almost 27 and I live in a black community in South Africa where unfortunately many kids grow up fatherless and black boys don't know what it is like to be a real man and leader. Most guys around me objectify women and think that being a man is about money and status. I have never met a guy who has inspired me to date him and at the same time I have many hang ups about relationships. I have my life to figure out and I have dealt with many issues regarding black men, like my little brother doing drugs because his father never paid attention to him and kept disappointing him. Is it worth hoping that good men exist and actually believing in such a thing as a good marriage. I would rather focus on fixing myself and doing what I can to contribute positively to the world. The problem though, is that I WOULD like to meet a decent man, who loves God and has values...but, I do not think he exists.
How can I be a positive single person but without being bitter about marriage and totally throwing that option out?

Reactions: kwells

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The man for you exists but you don't have to worry about when you will meet him, God will have him appear in your life at the right time. Jesus said that seek the Kingdom of God first and the blessings that he has in store for you will come. Praying for you and God bless!

Reactions: Sakhile
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. I am a Christian single woman. At first I was not dating because I had daddy issues and trust issues with men because of the lack of male role models in my life. However, now I am single because I have been focused on developing myself, career, mental, physical and spiritual.
However, I am curious and I do wonder if I will ever date or marry. I am almost 27 and I live in a black community in South Africa where unfortunately many kids grow up fatherless and black boys don't know what it is like to be a real man and leader. Most guys around me objectify women and think that being a man is about money and status. I have never met a guy who has inspired me to date him and at the same time I have many hang ups about relationships. I have my life to figure out and I have dealt with many issues regarding black men, like my little brother doing drugs because his father never paid attention to him and kept disappointing him. Is it worth hoping that good men exist and actually believing in such a thing as a good marriage. I would rather focus on fixing myself and doing what I can to contribute positively to the world. The problem though, is that I WOULD like to meet a decent man, who loves God and has values...but, I do not think he exists.
How can I be a positive single person but without being bitter about marriage and totally throwing that option out?

Go to church. You will surely meet more honourable guys there.

I can read, in your profile page, that you are a ‘freelance Christian’. What is that? A Christian who lives isolated from other Christians? See, God called us to live together as members of one body, the Body of Christ. You need to find an Evangelical church in your area (preferentially, a Baptist church, in my opinion) where you can be strengthened with fellow believers, worship God and use your gifts and talents to serve God.

You will not be strengthened by hanging out of ChristianForums if you fail to go to church. You will not find a husband if you do not do your part. Church attendance is very important.

So, before you can worry about your husband, try to connect with God and with fellow believers. It is not very difficult! Just type ‘Baptist church near Johannesburg’ on Google Maps, and you will surely find something!

Ask me for help if you need anything. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup, though you may need to focus on getting out and seeing the world a bit to run into the right guy. Sometimes the fishbowl can be too small to contain the right fish & you need to go out to an ocean . . . figuratively speaking. In any case, travel may be the answer where cultural norms seem monolithic and unappealing.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

kwells

Mature Male looking for Mature Woman PenPal
May 18, 2016
Mississippi
✟7,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Sakhile, as an season Black Man years ago my finest moment occurred when i where feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such a moment, propelled by my discomfort, that i step out of my ruts and started searching for different ways or motivation. But I never have forgotten motivator "God".

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with staying single for the foreseeable future. Paul writes that it has the potential to be better than being married, since you can focus more on the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7, esp. verses 32-34) Most of us were raised such that we think marriage is a good thing, but it can be a very bad thing for people who God hasn't finished preparing for it. We feel cultural pressure to be married without taking into account how uniquely God made each of us (or how we have been hurt).

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6, 1984 NIV)

You cannot presume a church-attending, long-time Christian is a Godly man. You will need to be discerning. How much daily time he spends focused on Jesus and how kind and generous he is are things to look for. Examine how he treats other people and what he is actively doing out of love to help others. It is valuable to examine to what degree he is showing the fruits of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) I'm describing a small percentage of Christians, but that sounds like what you are looking for. He should definitely be someone who encourages you in your relationship with Jesus.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33, 1984 NIV)

Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! (Isaiah 30:18, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

kwells

Mature Male looking for Mature Woman PenPal
May 18, 2016
Mississippi
✟7,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Sakhile, I am new to to "Christianforums" and not sure when I respond its getting posted to the attended person -- wells370@gmail.com

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not date for anything less than the best of reasons.

But know this: God has created the whole world for His own dating and marriage...so, yes, it is worth it. And you should be a part of it. Our part, the part we do in the image of God...is to portray the perfection of God...as best we can. It sounds as if you have done your best so far - do likewise in love and marriage.

Also know, that people have searched the world over and gone to the ends of the earth (and sometimes back again) to find love and marriage. God is for you, and with you every step of the way. Do not loose faith.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yup, though you may need to focus on getting out and seeing the world a bit to run into the right guy. Sometimes the fishbowl can be too small to contain the right fish & you need to go out to an ocean . . . figuratively speaking. In any case, travel may be the answer where cultural norms seem monolithic and unappealing.
I have to say that I agree. Sadly. Sometimes, you have to look outside of your own culture to find someone. The important thing is if they share your faith and morals. A lot of people are pressured to only marry within their culture, but if the culture in question has moved away from Christ that much, then your options are going to be very limited. The only option is to look for people that share your faith no matter if they share your culture or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sakhile

Apr 6, 2013
Johannesburg
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with staying single for the foreseeable future. Paul writes that it has the potential to be better than being married, since you can focus more on the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7, esp. verses 32-34) Most of us were raised such that we think marriage is a good thing, but it can be a very bad thing for people who God hasn't finished preparing for it. We feel cultural pressure to be married without taking into account how uniquely God made each of us (or how we have been hurt).

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6, 1984 NIV)

You cannot presume a church-attending, long-time Christian is a Godly man. You will need to be discerning. How much daily time he spends focused on Jesus and how kind and generous he is are things to look for. Examine how he treats other people and what he is actively doing out of love to help others. It is valuable to examine to what degree he is showing the fruits of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) I'm describing a small percentage of Christians, but that sounds like what you are looking for. He should definitely be someone who encourages you in your relationship with Jesus.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33, 1984 NIV)

Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! (Isaiah 30:18, 1984 NIV)
Thank you, great response!

Upvote 0

Sakhile

Apr 6, 2013
Johannesburg
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Go to church. You will surely meet more honourable guys there.

I can read, in your profile page, that you are a ‘freelance Christian’. What is that? A Christian who lives isolated from other Christians? See, God called us to live together as members of one body, the Body of Christ. You need to find an Evangelical church in your area (preferentially, a Baptist church, in my opinion) where you can be strengthened with fellow believers, worship God and use your gifts and talents to serve God.

You will not be strengthened by hanging out of ChristianForums if you fail to go to church. You will not find a husband if you do not do your part. Church attendance is very important.

So, before you can worry about your husband, try to connect with God and with fellow believers. It is not very difficult! Just type ‘Baptist church near Johannesburg’ on Google Maps, and you will surely find something!

Ask me for help if you need anything. God bless you!
I have had very negative experiences in churches, and I am not looking for a husband. I want to not hate men and I do not want fear of relationships to motivate my being single. I have come a cross the most judgmental people in churches and I do not like the divide that churces can cause: Catholics vs Baptists vs.... I accept and mingle with ALL Christians. I belong nowhere to belong everywhere.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Have you ever thought about dating a white american? I'm available ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sakhile:

The best father is our heavenly Father, who sent his only begotten Son, Jesus to redeem mankind.
Take all your trust issues to the Lord, ask him to help you to forgive those who have hurt you.
Forgiveness is key, so learn to forgive.
The best male role model is the Lord, read about him in your bible. He is also father to the fatherless.

You will find judgmental people everywhere, we all make judgements that are good or bad about other people
and I don't see how you live this long without finding that out for yourself. I have lived in
many places and have been in different countries and I find judgmental people, males and females judging.
We all make judgements.

The church is made up of forgiven people who sought the Lord for salvation, none of us are perfect nor will be in this life.
If you focus on all the wrong then you not be focusing on the Lord, too much focus on the wrong things will have
you displeased, struggling and unsure of things and out of fellowship with the church... "the church" is the people
not the building.
There be bad people around but there is also good people too, and some of them be men who are good.
It is also for us to witness to those around us...they need to know about the Lord and the bible.
Teach the ones who are teachable and be praying for those who are defiant.

Divisions will happen, the bible speaks about this...Romans 16:17, 1 Corinthians 3:3, 1 John 2:19.
Knowing Jesus brings division especially when you be living for him and not living to please yourself or others.
Truth brings division, there be people who hate the truth and spread lies and when their lies be revealed
they will hate you and do all manner of evil against you....Jesus told the truth and the religious leaders hated
him and plotted how they would have him killed.
Jesus the Christ suffered in this life too, he endured judgmental people and we who are called by his name will face the
same...1 Peter 3:13-17, Mark 15:32, John 8:39-59.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its good to be single, do not see it as a handicap.
Esp a single christian woman, i am one too.
(Even though my status says 'in relationship' cos I mean in relationship with Christ. )
But we are to be singleminded, not doubleminded. It is far easier to please the Lord than a man I tell you!

I can give you scripture where Paul talks about how its better to be single but you might already know this and read it, but I found it affirming.

I found in my walk that men just find it super hard to be happy alone, they always need a helper. But we women are actually pretty ok! Once we know truly where our help comes from and who our helper is..the one Jesus sent, marriage with all its trials and tribulations seems like the second best option.

You can love others a lot more and reach more people than if you were yoked, tied down and married. When you are married your life is pretty much restricted to your own family. If you are a christian then you have your ready made minsitry, your own flesh and blood. But if you single, you can reach the fatherless, the widowed, practically anyone the Lord puts in your path.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From a practical perspective, I don't believe most people are ready for marriage when they get married. Expecting (near) perfection, having lists of "must-haves" and "deal-breakers" ... not a great way to go about finding a mate. Pray that God will help you learn to be single. Pray that God will prepare you for marriage if it is his will. Pray that God will send you a mate if it is his will. If it is not God's will, prepare yourself for a life of service.

Upvote 0

Sakhile

Apr 6, 2013
Johannesburg
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever thought about dating a white american? I'm available ;)
Not really. But I realised that I need to work on my issues. I cannot get into a relationship in this state anyway. With God's help I am beginning to to work through my hangups and heal. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, Sakhile > hi :) I am Bill, pleased to meet you. Before I share things here, I wish to make it clear how I realize that I do not know you. So, when I say things that might be critical, they might be true of you or you need to make sure they do not become true of you. And I hope to share what is good, too.

Basically, I accept that you are a child of God. But yes you need to become strong and wise enough so you can do well in churches where there will be hypocrites but also there are the real children of God whom you need to become able to discover among the wrong people. Jesus has us loving, right in with wrong people, since Jesus cares for the judgmental ones and desires to use us to reach them. So, if you want a real man, you need to become real so you can go wherever he is and share with him in what he is doing :)

And you do need to have standards, though not in the judgmental way you might be seeing. Not all groups are right and trustworthy. Often enough, any group as a whole is nothing, really, but you can find individual members in the group - - the ones who have matured to be good examples to feed you how to be real with God and please Him while loving any and all people.

Now . . . if you please to get into detail much more >
At first I was not dating because I had daddy issues and trust issues with men because of the lack of male role models in my life.
That is your past. We are new, in Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:17). Also, if you got involved in some other cultures, you might discover how even responsible and Jesus naming and respectable men can be not able to function as real role models. One problem shows as how reportedly a large percentage of Bible claiming men have a inappropriate contentography problem. I have stayed clear of that, but in me I have been able to have inappropriate content shows in my imagination. But with time and growing and keeping on seeking God I have been doing quite better, I would say > now . . . instead of mainly using women to look at and imagine, I more readily love and care for each and every woman, instead of using women in my imagination and to gawk at.

Love does not have us only using people. So, likewise, you need to become one who does not use anyone, at all, but care personally about each and every person. And such loving can help to bring you together with a truly loving man > Matthew 5:46 < who will likely confront and encourage you to have good loving sharing with various other Jesus family people, and humble him and not make a big deal only about him.

Also, lady . . . :) the man for you might need you to get more real and strong so you can help him to get more for real!!! Many women have helped me, along the way. I see how God makes our ladies able to help us men.

However, now I am single because I have been focused on developing myself, career, mental, physical and spiritual.
This can be good :) But we Jesus people are members of each other > Romans 12:5, Ephesians 4:25. And members of a human body need each other and so depend on one another, in order to stay alive and healthy and functional. How much more God our Father has designed us to love and live as members of each other!

Only in His love can this work, though. We have been created so we can function well only in family sharing as God's children; nothing else can work; and functioning as members of each other means we become able to depend on and trust one another who also know how to relate in love. So, living in isolation can not work all the way, though it can be a time of getting more with God so then we can. How God is and shares with you and corrects you in His love is your example of how you need to become with any and all people; how unconditionally loving He is with you is your example, required of you!!! and all of us!!!

Ephesians 5:1-2

However, I am curious and I do wonder if I will ever date or marry.
This is part of why I accept that you are a Christian, already > because you have not just died in yourself. You are alive with curiosity about what is possible with God, perhaps.

I am almost 27 and I live in a black community in South Africa where unfortunately many kids grow up fatherless and black boys don't know what it is like to be a real man and leader.
Ok, so this is what people have been feeding us, for years . . . the idea that a man can have so much influence on a child. Well, whoever is with the child can be the one who has a lot of effect. And you can babysit children with a pile of toys and candy and TV and video games and babysitters who are in it for the money and other children. And how is a child going to bond with you while you so babysit your child? ? ? ? Then, in later years what you say won't mean anything, since the child never spent real time with you in order to discover that when you say something it means something. But if you have loved your child and said things of loving and the child has discovered the good which comes with things you say, then later what you say will mean something, too.

So, if you got to know a number of non-black people who have used toys to bring up their kids, you'd see how this has resulted in a number of people not knowing how to love . . . though they could be highly educated and know how to get money . . . not knowing how to get real honey.

Most guys around me objectify women and think that being a man is about money and status.
Again!! This could be talking about me with my Harvard and Wellesley parents in our white upper-middle class culture. And I have read how very wealthy people's children can be mentored by their drug experiences while they hang around totally lost in their mansions.

So, see past however this world has been teaching you to see your identity and what effects your upbringing. Sin has been the parent of all of us. Now we can live new in Jesus :):idea::pray::groupray::help::groupray::pray::clap::prayer:

Jesus says we need to deny ourselves > Luke 9:23 < and our self could include ways we have picked up from our parents . . . ways which are worldly, maybe helping us to cover up our deep sin ways of personality. So, even if you had respectable parents, you might need to get wise to any ways of theirs which need to go.

I have never met a guy who has inspired me to date him and at the same time I have many hang ups about relationships.
So, while we are troubled, this can keep us from being able to perceive and join with really Christian people. And we can be looking for things we can see, not praying about all that God knows about someone. John 7:23, Joshua 9:1-14

my little brother doing drugs because his father never paid attention to him and kept disappointing him.
But there are kids who have made their fathers idols, and then they have taken on their fathers' worldly ways.

For one example, my parents could talk down on certain people. They were proud, perhaps of their well-to-do and educated status. But this was conceit. And from their conceit I got the message that it was ok to look down on certain people, to judge about who was good enough for me to love, and who was not worth my attention or honor. Then, in my case, I also would bully ones I did not care for and whom I knew were not accepted socially and therefore others would not stand up for ones I bullied. So, Sakhile, from my culturally role-model parents I could derive conceit and then be acting cruelly because of my conceit.

Is it worth hoping that good men exist and actually believing in such a thing as a good marriage.
The man needs to be in you! > Galatians 4:19, Ephesians 4:2, Matthew 11:28-30 >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

I would rather focus on fixing myself and doing what I can to contribute positively to the world.
If you do this with God, this can bring you to a man who is doing this, als:).

Keep alive in your willingness to discover all that is possible with God, and how He will bring good as He prepares you for this.

I do not want fear of relationships to motivate my being single.
Very good point >

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

Your guy could be going through something like you are. However, be careful not to be fooled into adopting a guy who is a poor victim sort of person who depends on you.

I have come a cross the most judgmental people in churches and I do not like the divide that churces can cause: Catholics vs Baptists vs.... I accept and mingle with ALL Christians. I belong nowhere to belong everywhere.
Like I offer > there can be hypocrites where the real Jesus people are. And the wrong ones can be in your face making a big show of themselves so it seems like they represent everyone. But be in prayer so you can connect with whoever is gentle and humble and quiet in Jesus love and the example thereof to feed you >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Upvote 0