Date Seeds Unearthed From the Time of Jesus Are Revived, Adding Fruit to Jewish, Arab Unity

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,583,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seeds from the time of Jesus and the Maccabees are being renewed—and grown amid the fruits of Jewish-Arab unity.
dates-growing-in-holy-land-submitted-Arava-Institute-1024x549.jpg

We all know the resurrection story from 2,000 years ago described in the pages of the Christian bible. Recently, a restoration of life, in a sense, took place in the Holy Land—but with 2,000-year-old dry date seeds from the same region where the religious legends began.

In the 1960s, when archaeologist Yigal Yadin dug at Masada, an ancient fort that is one of Israel’s most popular tourist attractions, he found a catchment of Judean date seeds.

Through radiocarbon analysis, the seeds of the species Phoenix dactylifera were shown to be around 1,990 years old, or from 35 BCE to 65 CE, when the Roman philosophers Strabo and Pliny were writing about the Judean date’s medicinal qualities.

15 years ago, Dr. Elaine Soloway of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies, along with Dr. Sarah Salon of Hadassah Medical Center, were able to miraculously germinate one of the seeds.

In honor of its longevity, it was named Methuselah, after the longest-living human being in the Bible (Genesis 5: 21-27). Methuselah, however, being a male tree, would not be able to produce a date without a female partner. So in 2014, six seeds were germinated from 32 that were unearthed in archaeological digs in the Judean Desert and near the Dead Sea, from a similar age.

They were also given Biblical names, but only one female—Hannah—flowered.

Continued below.
Date Seeds Unearthed From the Time of Jesus Are Revived, Adding Fruit to Jewish, Arab Unity

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,583,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I keep think of this scripture when I hear of middle east peace.
Oh believe me. I’m not getting comfortable but I give credit to Trump for doing something none of his predecessors could do.

Upvote 0