Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The bible is truth, not fantasy

Galatians 5:19-21
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Interesting how the words change between different bibles. Here’s the King James version of that same passage:

KJV said:
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

And the AMPC:

AMPC said:
19 Now the doings of the flesh are clear: they are immorality, impurity, indecency,

20 Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies),

21 Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Interesting how one passage can change quite significantly depending on which version you happen to be reading. Especially if you take a cast iron position on the Bible being truth. The natural question then arises: WHICH bible is truth exactly?

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting how the words change between different bibles. Here’s the King James version of that same passage:

And the AMPC:

Interesting how one passage can change quite significantly depending on which version you happen to be reading. Especially if you take a cast iron position on the Bible being truth. The natural question then arises: WHICH bible is truth exactly?
Perhaps you can explain to me the difference you see between the 3 different versions of the bible
Certainly there is a lot of "bible" in politics. (Way too much for my tastes, but it is definitely there.)

But, if I want information about current politics I'll go to CNN or Fox as both have actual current information. The bible has none of it. Please find me a bible passage that talks about democrats or republicans or elections or electoral votes or congress or covid or the federal reserve or the united states or any living politician.
I believe there is alot of bible verses that describe the direction that the United States is heading in such as the verse i posted from Galatians earlier as well as much of Romans chapter one, but 18-32 to be specific

Which is certainly fine. I just note this is the discussion and debate section. For myself to be convinced of your point of view I need reasons I see as valid to consider it. While there is much to admire in the bible I do not see it as an instruction book but a learning tool with lessons that can be discussed via our reason. Simply claiming "God said" is a shortcut from reason and offers nothing more then a single persons opinion.

:wave:
If you read the bible verses i recommended and still feel like that doesnt apply to the current condition of America then you may say im taking a shortcut and declare victory for yourself if you wish

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe there is alot of bible verses that describe the direction that the United States is heading in such as the verse i posted from Galatians earlier as well as much of Romans chapter one, but 18-32 to be specific

2000 year old analogies don't really have any value. And Romans 1:18-32 seems pretty clearly aimed at individuals who don't buy into the whole "god" thing.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you read the bible verses i recommended and still feel like that doesnt apply to the current condition of America then you may say im taking a shortcut and declare victory for yourself if you wish

You don't seem to understand. Simply reading verses from a book is insufficient. You also need to be able to show a reason why they are right. This is not about declaring victory this is about basic communication.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Are you claiming to understand the point of view of an all knowing all powerful deity?

Right right. The church has great power and wisdom but has been stuck with the "fake" church for 2000 years.
I know God. That's the difference between me and unbelievers. I don't know or see everything clearly, that for sure. But there are certain things that I do know. I know what the real church is and I know what it is not. God has made it clear in the Bible what the church is in reality.
He has revealed much to me (and many others, of course - including Martin Luther). Anyone can claim to be Christian. I was born in England so I assumed that I was a Christian, a misconception that is not so prevalent now.

If you knew God, you would know that Lord Jesus warned about the lies and deceptions that were to come. He warned that few would find the right path. And that has proven to be exactly right.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Which isn't here nor there when it comes to implementing religiously based law in a secular republic that does not allow for that.
If you knew how many laws in the Western world are already based on the Bible, you might change your mind. It's a tough egg to unscramble.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you knew how many laws in the Western world are already based on the Bible, you might change your mind. It's a tough egg to unscramble.
No, it really isn’t. The USis a secular republic and laws that don’t have secular reasons for existing are against our highest law, the constitution. A wonderfully godless document.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

First, there are two very different legal systems in the "Western world", but we'll confine ourselves to the common law.

Second, what parts of the bible are we talking about?

The Mosaic law has virtually no counterparts in US law.

The "10 Commandments?" are only law in that murder, theft, and perjury are unlawful, most of the rest of them are protected by various statements of rights. (In the US, the Bill of Rights protects my right to make any graven image I should want, have any god other than Yahweh if I should choose, and neither requires honoring of parents nor prohibits various covetings.)

Are we talking about Jesus' great commandment, because my freedom of conscience and thought prohibits the regulation of my love for neighbors. (I can hate them if I want.)

The idea that "Western" law is based on the bible is not credible.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2000 year old analogies don't really have any value. And Romans 1:18-32 seems pretty clearly aimed at individuals who don't buy into the whole "god" thing.
Its not referring to individuals. The title for it is Gods wrath against sinful humanity. Its referring to a nation

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Its not referring to individuals. The title for it is Gods wrath against sinful humanity. Its referring to a nation

Sections of the bible don't have titles. Those were put in by translators not by the authors.

Just because Paul used plurals doesn't mean that the text was about any groups other than the "sinners" that he rails against. You know the ones that "deny" god. I've seen this passage used many times to "convince" non-believers that they should believe (or rather that they already do). It is a really bad tactic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sections of the bible don't have titles. Those were put in by translators not by the authors.

Just because Paul used plurals doesn't mean that the text was about any groups other than the "sinners" that he rails against. You know the ones that "deny" god. I've seen this passage used many times to "convince" non-believers that they should believe (or rather that they already do). It is a really bad tactic.
You don't seem to understand. Simply reading verses from a book is insufficient. You also need to be able to show a reason why they are right. This is not about declaring victory this is about basic communication.

Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodlyness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness

1:24 God gave them over to sexual immorality
(Sexual revolution of the 1960s)

1:26 God gave them over to homosexuality

1:28 God gave them over to a reprobate mind

The bible verses point to how God has given America to its ways. They talk about sexual immorality

There is literally dozens of inappropriate content sites. A CF poster made a thread on here a few days ago about how their was child inappropriate content on one of the websites and women being forced to do things

Americas sexual revolution started in the 1960s and we are at the point where every form of sexuality is being accepted. Not only accepted but also celebrated. Homosexuality is being celebrated and has become normalized

Kids are taking puberty blocking drugs so they can have sex changes

This country does not know God anymore. The leaders on both side are blind. America is rebelling from the truths that are in the bible. We also have an increasing divide, hatred and racism

Back to my original post, i believe the OP is correct. There will be dark days ahead in America

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I know God. That's the difference between me and unbelievers. I don't know or see everything clearly, that for sure. But there are certain things that I do know. I know what the real church is and I know what it is not. God has made it clear in the Bible what the church is in reality.
He has revealed much to me (and many others, of course - including Martin Luther). Anyone can claim to be Christian. I was born in England so I assumed that I was a Christian, a misconception that is not so prevalent now.

If you knew God, you would know that Lord Jesus warned about the lies and deceptions that were to come. He warned that few would find the right path. And that has proven to be exactly right.

So many have claimed. Including those who would put women to death for being a witch.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodlyness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness

The bible verses point to how God has given America to its ways. They talk about sexual immorality

There is literally dozens of inappropriate content sites. A CF poster made a thread on here a few days ago about how their was child inappropriate content on one of the websites and women being forced to do things

Americas sexual revolution started in the 1960s and we are at the point where every form of sexuality is being accepted. Not only accepted but also celebrated. Homosexuality is being celebrated and has become normalized

This country does not know God anymore. The leaders on both side are blind. America is rebelling from the truths that are in the bible. We also have an increasing divide, hatred and racism

Back to my original post, i believe the OP is correct. There will be dark days ahead in America

<Sigh> Let us know when you get to the point of using reason rather then asserting certitude.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness

It's pretty telling that your entire list of why the nation is doomed are all private sexual behaviour.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
<Sigh> Let us know when you get to the point of using reason rather then asserting certitude.
Reason is much overrated. It does not explain spiritual reality. There are many things that are totally true and yet are beyond human reasoning. When you know the truth, asserting that truth is perfectly acceptable.

Upvote 0