Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I am really interested in reading the Divine Comedy (all three parts). I read bits and pieces in college for class. One of the first things I realized is that Dante references a lot of things that are germane to his own context. That being the case, it is good to have a copy with lots of footnotes explaining the many references.

Two questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a version (all three parts) with a lot of footnotes that explain the many references, as well as touches on various philosophical/theological points of interest?

2) What is your experience and thoughts about Dante's Divine Comedy?

Any response is greatly appreciated. Much love and grace to you! :)

I've never read it. I read this Jodi Picoult book called The Tenth Circle that referenced it a lot, the girl is named Beatrice. I learned some of the basics. Her book is not that great tbh but it was cool that bc of it I learned more about Dante.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never read it. I read this Jodi Picoult book called The Tenth Circle that referenced it a lot, the girl is named Beatrice. I learned some of the basics. Her book is not that great tbh but it was cool that bc of it I learned more about Dante.

Yeah, if memory serve me, Beatrice is Dante's muse as he goes through. Or, was it Virgil? Or, Both? See, I'm getting old and memory doesn't serve me. :)

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, if memory serve me, Beatrice is Dante's muse as he goes through. Or, was it Virgil? Or, Both? See, I'm getting old and memory doesn't serve me. :)

Virgil was his guide through Hell and Purgatory. However, Virgil could not enter Heaven (he was not a Christian) so it is Beatrice who guides Dante once in Heaven

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of my groups read it in the past. I looked through the notes but they didn’t reference a specific version.

The question was raised on the site with several suggestions.

Thank you. I will look through those suggestions. I see one of them suggested Dorothy Sayers version, which has come up once already.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0