• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Dangerous and Illegal Worship?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Xenophon, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Xenophon

Xenophon Active Member

+256
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single

Do ya'll think we're going to be seeing arrests of our brethren here in America? (or maybe some of us too?)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,602
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    That was good thanks. It makes me wonder at one point are Christians going to have to revolt against these governors and their political agendas and buck the system and go to church with some basic precautions (masks, distancing etc.)

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,281
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we very well could be. Lord have mercy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  4. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,680
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    No. I also think this is terribly irresponsible on many levels.

5. Xenophon

Xenophon Active Member

+256
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I don't get why what's an obviously Orthodox response is 'terribly irresponsible' to you. I cannot agree with your 'secular optimism.'

I just don't understand your point of view.

6. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+1,842
    Christian
    Married
    The Sixth Commandment says that one should not kill other people. Every precaution should be taken by every single person to prevent the spread of the deadly COVID-19 virus. Loving your neighbor as yourself doesn't mean killing them, even passively, via selfishness.

7. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,497
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Even from a secular standpoint I think the video made some good points. Why single out churches? I was just out shopping today and was in a very small store, basically bumping into people the whole time and no way to stay 6 feet apart. (We are required to wear masks.) I would be much less exposed at my local church. So why the different treatment?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Victor in Christ

Victor in Christ Jehovah Tsidkenu

+172
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    We've been in lockdown in the British Isles since late Feb if i remember correctly. I was just starting to grow as a Christian before church was shut down by the Government. Life, issues got strenuous, so much so i was starting to doubt my faith. Daily/worldly pressures were building and building to the point i can't say anymore. I was searching the scriptures for relief, praying more severely than ever.......and then suddenly unexpectantly i was comforted by the Holy Spirit. I still can't describe it in words, only emotions of joy and tears of joy and thanks to the Lord.. This was no charasmatic drama which many will think.

I can honestly tell you now, when you are in distress the Holy Spirit will comfort you, he'll even reveal more to you than you can speak with words. He'll bring you joy and delight that is undescribible.

Please do not despair over Government restrictions, if your truly love the Lord and desire heaven so much, no Government restriction will ever seperate you from the comforter Christ will sent when you personally need it most.

god Bless.

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Active Member

+256
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Very good and true.

As St. Sophrony of Essex said, "Stand at the brink of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little, and have a cup of tea."

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,902
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don't think I could say this any better than I'd already said it, so I quote myself:

The Eucharist is not optional for Orthodox Christians. Never was... never will be.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,902
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Actually, Loving our neighbor as our self does mean killing them. By preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom to them, Baptizing and Communing them we strive to turn them into martyrs. This is not selfish. It is the opposite of selfish.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,902
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Father Josiah taught the Truth in this podcast. If it can be seen as irresponsible at all, it is only because Truth without Love can ignite the fire of self-righteous zeal in our hearts. We need to be wary of this about ourselves, and diligently careful to pray not to succumb to spiritual pride. The Truth, nevertheless, still needs to be proclaimed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. Not David

Not David Der Romisch Katechumene

+4,724
    United States
    Christian
    Single
  14. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,281
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    no one is advocating that. as Orthodox Christians, we believe communion is the Body of Christ Who is our Life.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+427
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Could you explain this more please?

16. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,902
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    When we are Baptized we die to ourselves and to this world (the world of self Love and sinful passions), and are alive in Jesus Christ. Our sinful flesh is crucified daily, so we are martyrs (witnesses) of the Kingdom of God that is coming but also already here because God is in us. Being witnesses means that we might also be called to suffer a martyrs death as well.

When we have our own babies baptized, do we really know what we are bringing them into?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  17. SingularityOne

+427
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree, so are you saying our understanding of love is transfigured into understanding Truth in the process?

18. Hermit76

Hermit76 You can call me Paisios Supporter

+1,322
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I look at the icon of The Dormition of The Theotokos every day and request that she, "remind us of our own deaths." We believe that the Body and Blood of Christ is our life. I can live without my breath or beating heart but I cannot live without His Uncreated Grace that's bestowed through the sacred Eucharist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,902
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would change the choice of wording for more clarity: Knowledge of Love (possession of it, or of Him) is a gift of grace. That same grace also imparts gifts of spiritual discernment or clear sightedness, which manifest in our ability to know good from evil; the Truth from a lie.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. SingularityOne

+427
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Thank you, this makes more sense. I appreciate your change in wording for clarity here.