LDS Damnation for Refusal to Become Mormon

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So the "spirit world" is the same as this world you and are living in right now as we are typing these messages? That doesn't seem to follow what other Mormons have said in this thread...
It is not exactly the same, but it is an extension of this mortal world. The paradisaical side of the spirit world will be busy. There will be much teaching, because billions of people that came and left mortality never even heard the name Jesus Christ. So they will have to learn in the spirit world what you learned here in mortality.

Even those in the 'spirit prison' will have the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ, and the gates will be opened and they will come forth with a knowledge of the Lord for the first time in their life. All will be taught of Christ and all will bend their knees and confess that Jesus is the Christ. Otherwise 'this world' will be cursed as Malalchi says. This is accomplished as they await the resurrection and the judgement. It is a ingenious plan, set up by Jesus Christ.

All must have the opportunity to know Christ, not just a few that lived when his name was known and his gospel was known, but all. This is even happening today in nations where Jesus is not taught, because of the traditions of their fathers. The only way that happens is that this mortal life and the spirit world are part of 'this world'. Then all can come to know Christ.

If this knowledge is gained in the spirit world, then by proxy they receive all the ordinances necessary to have eternal life.

This proxy process is ingenious too, because as we go to the temple and do the proxy baptisms and giving the Holy Ghost and doing the endowment, and sealing in marriage, it help us remember our baptismal covenants, and our endowment promises and our marriage promises, because we hear them time and time again in the temple as we sit in as proxy for those who are in the spirit world. It makes us stronger and stronger in the covenants and promises we made the time we first took on these same covenants and made these same promises.

So we look to our fathers and our father look to us and we work hand in hand to build the kingdom of God in the land of the living and in the land of the dead which is an oxymoron meaning the living spirit world.

• Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What in the world??!!! What a crock!! Prime example of Mormon scripture twisting!!!!

Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 38:8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
Job 38:9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
Job 38:10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
Job 38:11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
Job 38:12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;
Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
Job 38:14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.
Job 38:15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.
Job 38:16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
Job 38:17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
Job 38:18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.
Job 38:19 Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
Job 38:20 That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof?
Job 38:21 Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great?
Job 38:22 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
Job 38:23 Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?
Job 38:24 By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth?
Job 38:25 Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder;
Job 38:26 To cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is; on the wilderness, wherein there is no man;
Job 38:27 To satisfy the desolate and waste ground; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth?
Job 38:28 Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
Job 38:29 Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
Job 38:30 The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
Job 38:31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
Job 38:32 Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?
Job 38:33 Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?
Job 38:34 Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee?
Job 38:35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?
Job 38:36 Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
Job 38:37 Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,
Job 38:38 When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together?
Job 38:39 Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions,
Job 38:40 When they couch in their dens, and abide in the covert to lie in wait?
Job 38:41 Who provideth for the raven his food? when his yoCung ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.

IN OTHER WORDS---JOB DIDN'T KNOW DIDLY- SQUAT AND WASN'T THERE FOR ANY OF IT AND DIDN'T DO ANY OF IT!
Again, you overreact. The questions were asked, but the answer was not given. So to say that Job didn't know didly-squat and wasn't there and didn't do any of it is way overreaching your actual knowledge of the event.

Where was Job when the morning starts sand together and the Sons of God shouted for joy?

Can you answer where Job was from the scripture, no! It is a 50/50 deal that he wasn't there, or he was there, so stop with your authoritative announcement that he knew didly-squat.

Could he have been one of the morning stars? Of course he could.

Could he have been on of the Sons of God shouting for joy? Of course he could.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There was nothing to remember---He wasn't there and he had no idea about any of it. The passage is very clear that Job was not there. It states clearly he had no knowledge of any of it---doesn't say he had no memory of the event--he had no knowledge of it. Read the whole passage---all the questions asked are rhetorical--Job could offer no answers to those questions.
What does it prove that Job did not remember these things?

Does it mean that they didn't happen because Job could not remember them?

Does it mean that he wasn't there because he can't remember them?

Who were the morning stars that sang?

Who were the Sons of God that shouted for joy?

Could Job have been a morning star or one of the Sons of God, but under mortality had forgotten these events in the pre-earth life?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means you are not flying in the same area where people paid the higher price.
So I have to "earn" my way to Paradise? How much more do I have to do? How much is enough? What happened to grace?

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your reply to my question, Peter. I rated it "informative" because you give a detailed answer, but some parts of it are still confusing. Would you mind addressing the following, when you have the time? Thank you.

It is not exactly the same, but it is an extension of this mortal world. The paradisaical side of the spirit world will be busy.

Why do you say paradisaical 'side'? Is the spirit world further divided into paradisaical and non-paradisaical sections? Or is this world in some aspect a part of paradise? I don't understand what this means.

There will be much teaching, because billions of people that came and left mortality never even heard the name Jesus Christ. So they will have to learn in the spirit world what you learned here in mortality.

Is this in the non-paradisaical 'side' of the spirit world, then? Or does Mormonism have a different teaching on paradise than Christianity, whereby people can be in paradise but still need more teaching/information/whatever you'd call it? Because to me it makes no sense to say "these people are in paradise, but they still need to be preached to" (though, again, I'm not sure that's what you mean; in fact, I'm fairly certain you don't mean that, but this is the first I've heard of different 'sides' to the Mormon spirit world, let alone that one them is paradisaical, so that opens up a lot of questions).

Even those in the 'spirit prison' will have the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ, and the gates will be opened and they will come forth with a knowledge of the Lord for the first time in their life.

So what then does Mormonism make of the harrowing of Hell (written of in, e.g., 1 Peter 4:6), when Christ descended into Hades and preached to those there? Please note that it says that the gospel "has been preached" to the dead, not "will be preached". In Christianity, this is a one-time event, with eternal weight and consequences (e.g., by this Christ offered life to those who were in the tombs, to borrow from the Byzantine Troparion), such that it doesn't need to be repeated over and over, just as Christ's death (the harrowing of Hell is said to have happened during His time between His death and His resurrection) doesn't need to be repeated over and over for every new generation.

All must have the opportunity to know Christ, not just a few that lived when his name was known and his gospel was known, but all.

His name is known now, and the gospel is known now, and it always has been -- it, like the Church, was never "taken from the earth" by anyone or anything. He is the One of Whom the prophets wrote and foretold, as is confirmed by St. John the Baptist, St. Justin Martyr, and all of the fathers and mothes. There will never be a time when He is not known, as there is never a time when God is without His Word/Wisdom (Logos). So I do not understand this position. Maybe if Christianity had never grown outside of its Middle Eastern/North African cradle this would be a point, but look around you, Peter: there are clearly millions of Christian churches around the world, in every place. There are half a dozen churches in Antarctica, and people don't even live there! (It doesn't have a permanent human population, only researchers in some times of the year.) There are Somali Christians even though their country has not had a functioning church or an established Christian presence since 1989 (there are individuals, of course, but it's too dangerous to have a church there now, and the churches that were there have been destroyed in the civil war). They are brave and produce many martyrs at the hands of the Islamists who kill them for having left Islam, as that is the punishment according to Islamic law, and some Somalis are fanatical about being a "100% Muslim nation", so they will kill anyone who leaves or says that's not true, even though it is clearly untrue.

Are you seriously going to tell me that in a world where you will be killed on the spot for being a Christian and people still come to Christ that there is some kind of need for additional instruction from Mormon missionaries, either now or after death? Do you believe that the Somali martyrs mentioned by name in the video are now in the 'spirit world'. being taught and accepting Mormonism? The Book of Mormon is not even available in Somali, so how exactly is this accomplished? Are there Somali-speaking angel-missionary-teachers in the spirit world?

This is even happening today in nations where Jesus is not taught, because of the traditions of their fathers. The only way that happens is that this mortal life and the spirit world are part of 'this world'. Then all can come to know Christ.

Name one place in the world where people are not still coming to Christ despite restrictions, please. I just showed you evidence of what people go through in the second most dangerous country to be a Christian in the entire world. My old parish received a Saudi Arabian woman (sadly, after I left, so I never got to meet her), who clearly risked much to come to Christ, as the Saudis are also famously officially a 100% Muslim people (even though they aren't, just as in the Somali case; it is just the idea they have of their nation and people, not the reality on the ground). I don't believe that there is any place where people cannot or do not still come to Christ, even if their circumstances may prevent them from being very public about it (as in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, etc).

If this knowledge is gained in the spirit world, then by proxy they receive all the ordinances necessary to have eternal life.

Why is this necessary? I understand that in Mormonism this is how it works, but why is it necessary? Why does anyone need these 'ordinances', which were unknown before Joseph Smith?

This proxy process is ingenious too, because as we go to the temple and do the proxy baptisms and giving the Holy Ghost and doing the endowment, and sealing in marriage, it help us remember our baptismal covenants, and our endowment promises and our marriage promises, because we hear them time and time again in the temple as we sit in as proxy for those who are in the spirit world. It makes us stronger and stronger in the covenants and promises we made the time we first took on these same covenants and made these same promises.

Alright, well...for the sake of not insulting your true religious belief, I will just remind you that in the past I provided evidence from the fourth century saint St. John Chrysostom that the sects which performed baptism of the dead were extremely bizarre Gnostics who were so far from anything resembling Christianity that the saint found it hard not to laugh at them and their silly ritual (I imagine I can probably find the exact quote and source from looking through my past posts if you need me to, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the exact thread). Are these the kinds of people you want as your fathers -- the ones who were so far from Christianity that it was laughable, even in the fourth century?

It seems like you have two options: embrace that what Mormonism 'restored' was actually ancient extreme heresies, and hence you have nothing to do with Christianity and never have, or maintain that by the fourth century the Church had become corrupted to the point that it didn't recognize its own 'pre-apostasy' practices. And that second position will require period-appropriate evidence (not later 'revelation' JS or anyone else, but things from the time-period in which it supposedly happened among Christians, not obscure Gnostic sects), because so far all I've seen regarding this particular practice is that it was engaged in by crazy people.

So we look to our fathers and our father look to us and we work hand in hand to build the kingdom of God in the land of the living and in the land of the dead which is an oxymoron meaning the living spirit world.

But see above: if your 'fathers' were actually Gnostics rather than Christians (NB: so-called "Christian Gnostics" were those whose stories incorporated Christian themes and characters, but were clearly following the Gnostic cosmologies and theologies rather than that of the Christian Church...hmmmmmmmm... :scratch:), then how is it that you can work for the restoration of their practices? How can you look to them in anything?

I get the feeling that you're sort of trying to 'speak my language' here, theologically, and I do appreciate it and don't intend to make fun of it in any way. That is a serious question regarding just who were the Mormon 'fathers' who you might look to throughout history, if Mormonism is supposed to be the restoration of the ancient Christian faith and Church before its apostasy, as it claims it is and as I'm sure you believe it is.

As you surely know by now, I appreciate historical sources that show what the Church actually taught and believed, rather than our own (including my own) interpretations of what they may have believed, which can be way out there if we do not stick to what they have left us (as the Bible tells us to hold fast to what we are taught, whether by word or by epistle -- 2 Thessalonians 2:15). This is the entire point of relying on them in the first place. But of course this more or less axiomatically takes them to be reliable, which I am sure the Mormon must say that they are not (as by the time of our fathers like the uncontroversially-accepted saints HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic, or St. Basil, or St. Gregory, etc., the 'Great Apostasy' must've been underway, or else you would be confessing the Nicene Creed along with the Church). I know you can guess what my response to that would be, so instead I would just like to ask that if you know so surely that our (the Christian Church's) fathers are unreliable and affected by the 'Great Apostasy', then how can you know with a similar level of certainty that the same is not true of your own fathers, if you do indeed have a history that reaches back to pre-'Apostasy' Christianity? In other words, I want names and examples and explanations of particular people from early Church/pre-'Apostasy' history (i.e., not JS and Co.) who you would consider to be teaching Mormonism, and why they are reliable in the view of your religion. Since you are now appealing to fathers, please produce them and explain them.

Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There was nothing to remember---He wasn't there and he had no idea about any of it. The passage is very clear that Job was not there. It states clearly he had no knowledge of any of it---doesn't say he had no memory of the event--he had no knowledge of it. Read the whole passage---all the questions asked are rhetorical--Job could offer no answers to those questions.
We will return back to where we were before:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:7)

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
BEFORE They Leave This World
If men would acquire salvation, they have got to be subject, before they leave this world, to certain rules and principles, which were fixed by unalterable decree before the world was.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 324
Ron Anderson

"First Estate" (premortality)
This mortal life("Second Estate"):

Alma 34
33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

Purpose of Second Estate(mortality):

Pearl of Great Price, Abraham 3

24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

Verse 25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

Each person (every mortal) is proven on earth. If they are not proven in mortality, the Mormon gods failed to provide the opportunity. Each person must keep his "Second Estate."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So I have to "earn" my way to Paradise? How much more do I have to do? How much is enough? What happened to grace?
We are given grace when we repent, thereafter we need to (sin no more) keep the commandments:

(New Testament | Romans 6:1 - 2)

1 WHAT shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
@dzheremi
Mormonism:
Abraham
Abraham first received the gospel by baptism (which is the covenant of salvation). Then he had conferred upon him the higher priesthood, and he entered into celestial marriage (which is the covenant of exaltation), gaining assurance thereby that he would have eternal increase. Finally he received a promise that all of these blessings would be offered to all of his mortal posterity (D&C 132:29–50; Abr. 2:6–11). Included in the divine promises to Abraham were the assurances that (1) Christ would come through his lineage, and that (2) Abraham’s posterity would receive certain lands as an eternal inheritance (Gen. 17; 22:15–18; Gal. 3; Abr. 2). These promises taken together are called the “Abrahamic covenant.” It was renewed with Isaac (Gen. 26:1–4, 24) and again with Jacob (Gen. 28; 35:9–13; 48:3–4).

The portions of the covenant that pertain to personal salvation and eternal increase are renewed with each individual who receives the ordinance of celestial marriage (see D&C 132:29–33). Those of non-Israelite lineage, commonly known as Gentiles, are adopted into the house of Israel and become heirs of the covenant and the seed of Abraham through the ordinances of the gospel (Gal. 3:26–29).
Abraham, covenant of

Adam
From latter-day revelation we learn that Adam had a pure and perfect language that was both written and spoken (Moses 6:5–6); that he was taught the gospel of Jesus Christ (Moses 6:51–63); that he was baptized in water and received the Holy Ghost (Moses 6:64–68); and that he was visited personally by the Lord (D&C 107:55–56). Other references to Adam include Luke 3:38; Rom. 5:12–21; 1 Cor. 11:9; 15:20–22, 45–49; 1 Tim. 2:13; 2 Ne. 2:20–26; Mosiah 3:11, 16; D&C 29:34–44; 107:41–57; Moses 2–6. See also Eve; Fall of Adam and Eve.
Adam

Paradise
A Persian word meaning “a garden.” It is not found in the Old Testament. In the New Testament it occurs in Luke 23:43, 2 Cor. 12:4, and Rev. 2:7. See also 2 Ne. 9:13; Alma 40:12, 14; 4 Ne. 1:14; Moro. 10:34; D&C 77:2, 5; A of F 1:10. Paradise is that part of the spirit world in which the righteous spirits who have departed from this life await the resurrection of the body. It is a condition of happiness and peace. However, the scriptures are not always consistent in the use of the word, especially in the Bible. For example, when Jesus purportedly said to the thief on the cross, “To day shalt thou be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43), the Bible rendering is incorrect. The statement would more accurately read, “Today shalt thou be with me in the world of spirits” since the thief was not ready for paradise (see HC 5:424–25). Possibly 2 Cor. 12:4 should also not use “paradise” in the sense of meaning the spirit world, as much as meaning the celestial kingdom. The “paradisiacal glory” of A of F 1:10 refers to the glorified millennial state of the earth rather than the spirit world.
Paradise

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We are given grace when we repent, thereafter we need to (sin no more) keep the commandments:

The Greek word pisteuō means to believe, trust, rely upon, and its related noun is pistis(faith). In his Gospel, John never used the words repent, repentance, or faith to describe the way people are saved. Instead, he used believe since the term included all these ideas. John preferred the verb form to emphasize the act that is necessary for someone to be saved-total dependence on the work of another. John did indicate that believing can be superficial when it is merely intellectual without resulting in true salvation (John 2:23- 24; 6:66; 12:42-43; see Jas 2:19). Jesus used a wordplay when He said that people must do "the work of God" for salvation, for His point was that we must not try to work for it at all. We must simply "believe in the One He has sent" (John 6:29). Because this Gospel was written for the clear and simple purpose of persuading everyone who reads it to "believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and by believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31), it is no surprise that the Gospel of John is the most frequently distributed portion of the Bible to those curious about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The word 'believe' in John 3:15-16

We work because He has changed our hearts by grace through faith.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"First Estate" (premortality)
This mortal life("Second Estate"):

Alma 34
33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

Purpose of Second Estate(mortality):

Pearl of Great Price, Abraham 3

24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

Verse 25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

Each person (every mortal) is proven on earth. If they are not proven in mortality, the Mormon gods failed to provide the opportunity. Each person must keep his "Second Estate."
You said: "If they are not proven in mortality, the Mormon gods failed to provide the opportunity."
Some spirits are good enough they only need a body. "Among all the glorious gospel verities given of God to his people there is scarcely a doctrine so sweet, so soul satisfying, and so soul sanctifying, as the one which proclaims—Little children shall be saved. They are alive in Christ and shall have eternal life. For them the family unit will continue, and the fulness of exaltation is theirs. No blessing shall be withheld. They shall rise in immortal glory, grow to full maturity, and live forever in the highest heaven of the celestial kingdom—all through the merits and mercy and grace of the Holy Messiah, all because of the atoning sacrifice of Him who died that we might live."

God does not fail to give anyone the full opportunity to return to Him. He knows us well enough to know whether we will LOVE Him enough to keep His commandments.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When "this world" is mentioned it means the "mortal life" + the "spirit world" together. "This world" is everything from the time you are born to the time that you are judged. By the time you are judged if you do not live by certain rules and principles, which were fixed by unalterable decree before the world was, you will not have eternal life with God and Jesus.

If spirit prison and mortality are the same life, Alma 34:34 doesn't apply to anything.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word pisteuō means to believe, trust, rely upon, and its related noun is pistis(faith). In his Gospel, John never used the words repent, repentance, or faith to describe the way people are saved. Instead, he used believe since the term included all these ideas. John preferred the verb form to emphasize the act that is necessary for someone to be saved-total dependence on the work of another. John did indicate that believing can be superficial when it is merely intellectual without resulting in true salvation (John 2:23- 24; 6:66; 12:42-43; see Jas 2:19). Jesus used a wordplay when He said that people must do "the work of God" for salvation, for His point was that we must not try to work for it at all. We must simply "believe in the One He has sent" (John 6:29). Because this Gospel was written for the clear and simple purpose of persuading everyone who reads it to "believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and by believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31), it is no surprise that the Gospel of John is the most frequently distributed portion of the Bible to those curious about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The word 'believe' in John 3:15-16

We work because He has changed our hearts by grace through faith.
You quoted this: "Jesus used a wordplay when He said that people must do "the work of God" for salvation, for His point was that we must not try to work for it at all. We must simply "believe in the One He has sent"

IOW Jesus lied when He said if you LOVE me keep my commandments:

(New Testament | Mark 12:29 - 31)

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

He also lied when He said:

(New Testament | John 14:12)

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Except Jesus was perfect and did not lie.

(New Testament | Colossians 1:9 - 10)

9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

By their fruits ye shall know them:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:16)

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You said: "If they are not proven in mortality, the Mormon gods failed to provide the opportunity."
Some spirits are good enough they only need a body. "Among all the glorious gospel verities given of God to his people there is scarcely a doctrine so sweet, so soul satisfying, and so soul sanctifying, as the one which proclaims—Little children shall be saved. They are alive in Christ and shall have eternal life. For them the family unit will continue, and the fulness of exaltation is theirs. No blessing shall be withheld. They shall rise in immortal glory, grow to full maturity, and live forever in the highest heaven of the celestial kingdom—all through the merits and mercy and grace of the Holy Messiah, all because of the atoning sacrifice of Him who died that we might live."

God does not fail to give anyone the full opportunity to return to Him. He knows us well enough to know whether we will LOVE Him enough to keep His commandments.

The subject of children per Mormonism doesn't have anything to do with this.

Alma 34

Abraham 3

I was taught per Mormonism:
"Second estate" is a Latter-day Saint term that refers to mankind's mortal existence on this earth. In scripture it occurs only in the writings of Abraham (Abr. 3:26), but the preearth life of spirits is called "their first estate" in Jude 1:6. Latter-day Saints believe that through the process of birth, the spirit children of God who kept their first estate (premortal) enter into their second estate by receiving a physical body with additional opportunities for experience and development. Mortality is then a probationary period in which individuals "prepare to meet God" (Alma 12:24). In the final judgment all mankind will "be judged of their works…which were done by the temporal body in their days of probation" (1 Ne. 15:32; cf. Alma 12:14). All who receive the saving principles and ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ (including faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, ordination to the priesthood for men, Endowment, and eternal marriage) and seek to live righteous and useful lives, embracing the fulness of the gospel, will obtain the complete blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ....
Second Estate - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

The additional information below doesn't agree with the purpose of the Second Estate:
All who had no opportunity to do so during earth life will have it in the postmortal spirit world (1 Pet. 3:18-19;4:6; D&C 138:36-37). Every person who has lived on the earth will be resurrected with perfected corporeal bodies, and those who have kept the commandments will enter into eternal life, and "have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever" (Abr. 3:26). ALEXANDER L. BAUGH
Second Estate - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

This earth was made for mortal bodies and testing "to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them."

The Lord decided when and where they would live on earth.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You quoted this: "Jesus used a wordplay when He said that people must do "the work of God" for salvation, for His point was that we must not try to work for it at all. We must simply "believe in the One He has sent"

IOW Jesus lied when He said if you LOVE me keep my commandments:

You misquoted my post by cherry-picking. Try again!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You misquoted my post by cherry-picking. Try again!
If I took the author of the quote out of context I apologize. I hope the author means that believing in Jesus Christ means believing in the message that He gave to us, and not only believing that He lives.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Which begs the question - when will you (sin no more)?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
i am coming in late to this dicscussion so if someone has responded to this, forgive me.

Are you serious mmksparbud???? I have proven you wrong on this subject at least 10 times before. Priesthood is definitely in the NT. Your church does not believe in the priesthood, nor does it have the priesthhood, so you go about rewriting the NT to abolish any thoughts of the priesthood. That is why you think there is no priesthood in the NT, but I have proven to you at least 10 times that there is.

You have never proven me wrong on any issue--you never can for you stand in opposition the word of God! Protestants do not believe in the Priesthood---that's one of the reasons we are Protestants!!

Upvote 0