Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you read the Mormon definition of damnation.

Any attempt to picture God as vindictive, cruel, vicious, arbitrary, sending people to any form of damnation, LDS or otherwise, is weaponizing God to put the fear of God into people. Hence my reply.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What is the location of Paradise?

...This story highlights another important doctrine of the restored gospel: the spirit world is right here on earth and the spirits of our departed loved ones are in reality among us. This doctrine is as comforting to the Saints as it is unique among Christian beliefs of the afterlife. Our deceased family and friends are not gone, neither are they far, far away in some distant “heaven.” The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, “They are not far from us, and know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith.”
Life After Death: 6 Insights into the Spirit World | LDS Living

Just as paradise is not the eternal abode of the righteous, hell in the spirit world is not the eternal abode of the wicked. Reporting his vision of the telestial world, the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote: “These are they who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work.” (D&C 76:85.) He added: “These are they who are cast down to hell and suffer the wrath of Almighty God, until the fulness of times, when Christ shall have subdued all enemies under his feet, and shall have perfected his work.” (D&C 76:106. See also Rev. 20:13.) Hell in the spirit world will end when all people have been resurrected. Because of the atonement of Christ, there is an eventual release. (See 2 Ne. 9:6–12.) Those who remain “filthy still” (the sons of perdition) will remain in hell, but it will be a place separate from the hell of the spirit world. (See D&C 76:43–49.) After the sons of perdition are resurrected, the spirit world will have no inhabitants. (Bruce. R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed., p. 762.)

Peter refers to the spirit world as “prison,” and it is for some. (1 Pet. 3:18–20, 1 Pet. 4:6.) However, it is chiefly a place of learning and waiting, not a place of suffering. Here those who did not have an opportunity in mortality to receive the gospel, and those who had a partial opportunity but rejected it will be taught. In 1893, President Lorenzo Snow, then president of the Quorum of the Twelve, declared in general conference his strong belief “that when the Gospel is preached to the spirits in prison, the success attending that preaching will be far greater than that attending the preaching of our Elders in this life. I believe there will be very few indeed of those spirits who will not gladly receive the Gospel when it is carried to them. The circumstances there will be a thousand times more favorable.” (Millennial Star 56:50.)
The Spirit World, Our Next Home

President Lorenzo Snow had an opinion not based on his church's scripture or on Alma 34:34.
You say that you LOVE the commandments. How much time do you spend teaching people to keep the commandments?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Any attempt to picture God as vindictive, cruel, vicious, arbitrary, sending people to any form of damnation, LDS or otherwise, is weaponizing God to put the fear of God into people. Hence my reply.

Mormons change definitions to many words. If you aren't familiar with Mormonism, you can't very well engage in debating Mormonism. No offense, but I didn't even mention fear. So please post to topics you understand.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You say that you LOVE the commandments. How much time do you spend teaching people to keep the commandments?

This thread is not about keeping commandments nor is commandment keeping a contest between you and others.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This thread is not about keeping commandments nor is commandment keeping a contest between you and others.
I asked this question before on another thread, but you did not answer it. I think you are trying to avoid the question. There is no damnation for not becoming a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This thread is about the commandments because damnation comes to the unrighteous (those who are not righteous or those who do not keep the commandments).
(New Testament | 2 Thessalonians 2:12)

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I asked this question before on another thread, but you did not answer it. I think you are trying to avoid the question. There is no damnation for not becoming a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.
HELLO! I don't read all your posts.

Damnation per Mormonism (that is what we are discussing) means different things:

Failing to gain an inheritance in the celestial kingdom

Becoming a son of perdition

Failing to gain exaltation in the celestial kingdom though being admitted to a lower level of the celestial world

Pretending that a Bible verse answers a question about Mormonism is merely a rude attempt to confuse people.

This forum is not for asking personal questions about other members. I don't ask you. You don't ask me. Understand?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
LOL! That's Jesus! No one else!
LOL you were wrong priesthood is mentioned in the New Testament. The New Testament also mentions the different offices of the priesthood:
(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 15)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

(New Testament | Acts 6:7)

7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

(New Testament | Acts 15:22 - 23)

22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
HELLO! I don't read all your posts.

Damnation per Mormonism (that is what we are discussing) means different things:

Failing to gain an inheritance in the celestial kingdom

Becoming a son of perdition

Failing to gain exaltation in the celestial kingdom though being admitted to a lower level of the celestial world

Pretending that a Bible verse answers a question about Mormonism is merely a rude attempt to confuse people.

This forum is not for asking personal questions about other members. I don't ask you. You don't ask me. Understand?
You have asked me personal questions in the past. However, in keeping with the rules, I do not remember anyone who claims to be a Christian here on CF saying we should LOVE Jesus Christ by keeping the commandments. The unrighteous (those who do not keep the commandments will indeed be damned):

(New Testament | 2 Thessalonians 2:12)

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

(New Testament | John 5:29)

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Sin is and will always be evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is no priesthood mentioned in the NT.

Obviously you don't read your Bible closely or carefully.

Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Maybe you should tell God that there are no priests in the New Covenant. He has made believers both kings and priests.

Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

BTW - There is also NOTHING in the NT which says that the priesthood is ended.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
LOL you were wrong priesthood is mentioned in the New Testament. The New Testament also mentions the different offices of the priesthood:
(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 15)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

(New Testament | Acts 6:7)

7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

(New Testament | Acts 15:22 - 23)

22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

The word priest is not used in any of those verses. They knew the word priest. It is a horrible falsehood to try to state apostles, bishops and elders, evangelists, teachers and pastors as priests. If they were to be designated as priests, they would have said so. This is nothing but flat out lying.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Obviously you don't read your Bible closely or carefully.

Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Maybe you should tell God that there are no priests in the New Covenant. He has made believers both kings and priests.

Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

BTW - There is also NOTHING in the NT which says that the priesthood is ended.

You can have whatever you want---All believers are kings and priest---there is no set aside little group of priests that have special rights that the others do not. There is only Jesus as our High Priest. You are Catholic---of course you claim priests as do the Orthodox. It doesn't change the scriptures any.

Upvote 0