• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Damaskinos, Divine Liturgy

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by archer75, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

1. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,933
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I saw this image ("Divine Liturgy") on OrthodoxWiki. 16th century.

This includes a depiction of the Holy Trinity, right? Although now God the Father is generally not depicted in icons, yes? Is there any other way to understand this image?

Thank you all.

Attached Files:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    historically, that is not the Father but the pre-Incarnate Christ as the Ancient of Days.

3. archer75

+2,933
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Then the figure to the left of the Holy Spirit is...? What am I missing? Or are they both depictions of Christ, incarnate on left and pre-incarnate on right?

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    hopefully the iconographer has both being Christ as you said, since at the Ascension humanity sat down at the right hand of divinity.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    While I hope what Fr Matt said is true, the depiction of the Ancient of Days doesn’t have the IC XC shown. That makes me think that the iconographer was illustrating God the Father as the Ancient of Days.

See the image below of Jesus as the Ancient of Days (IC XC)

212DEBAC-CC6D-409A-A89D-888D4CE17A5D.jpeg

That said - Father is absolutely right that historically the Ancient of Days is the Pre-Incarnate Christ not God the Father.

• List
  6. archer75

+2,933
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You've posed my question better. I guess I meant to ask if this image might be from before there was a clear rule against depicting the Father, and that the Ancient of Days was Christ.

7. All4Christ

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Well, St John of Damascus said the following: "If we attempt to make an image of the invisible God, this would be sinful indeed. It is impossible to portray one who is without body:invisible, uncircumscribed and without form."

• List
  8. All4Christ

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Russian Council reiterating this restriction of depicting God the Father was in 1667, so a 16th century icon would be prior to that ruling. It wasn’t a new concept though.

• List
  9. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+817
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'd have to look through my books to find a better copy of that icon, but it looks like there is a cruciform nimbus in the halo but it is faint. Michael Damaskinos was a very skilled painter who trained with Venetian artists. His work can be very traditional or quite western. This image tends toward the latter in many respects. I wouldn't take it as a good example of iconography even though it is meticulously painted and had some very good elements.

• List
  10. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,644
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There isn't much of a precedent of depicting God the Father in pre-16th century iconography. In the 16th century the Ancient of Days icon still used a cross in the nimbus (as the icon in the OP shows) which suggests it's Christ.
    By the time Moscow (1500) became a center of icon painting the Ancient of Days figure began being depicted with a triangular halo which signified God the Father. Prior to this in Novgorod the Ancient of Days image still sported a cross in the halo.

• List
  11. All4Christ

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Was the IC XC tradition with the Ancient of Days added for clarification after the council?

12. archer75

+2,933
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That is definitely a cruciform nimbus now that you point it out, Fr Nutroll.

13. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,644
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I dont believe so. The earliest icon of the Ancient of Days housed at St. Katherine's at Mt Sinai dates from the 6-7th century and is labeled as 'Emmanuel'. The early trinity icons of Abraham's Hospitality pre-12th century will be labeled Holy Trinity but either only the center figure will have a cross in the halo or all three will and be labeled with ic xc.:
    9789004386112_webready_content_m00005.jpg figure. 65-res_fmt.png

• List