United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dallas church to gay member:

We lovingly call you to repentance

By Kimberly Winston | October 19, 2016

(RNS) A Dallas megachurch is embroiled in controversy after it lovingly ousted a member for being in a gay relationship.

Watermark Church, which draws 11,000 people to three campuses every weekend, sent a letter to member Jason Thomas, informing him it was removing him from membership because he was in a relationship with another man.

We are left with no other option but to remove you from our body . . ., the letter, posted on the website of The Dallas Morning News, states. We lovingly but firmly call you back to repentance.

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

(RNS) A Dallas megachurch is embroiled in controversy after it lovingly ousted a member for being in a gay relationship.

Watermark Church, which draws 11,000 people to three campuses every weekend, sent a letter to member Jason Thomas, informing him it was removing him from membership because he was in a relationship with another man.

We are left with no other option but to remove you from our body . . ., the letter, posted on the website of The Dallas Morning News, states. We lovingly but firmly call you back to repentance.

Lovingly? What a joke. I think this church needs to learn what love means.

There are plenty of churches who accept gay people so I hope he moved on. No need to lose sleep over a church full of homophobes.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

There are plenty of churches who accept gay people so I hope he moved on. No need to lose sleep over a church full of homophobes.
If you're not a Christian, it probably won't make sense. What (I would hope) they were trying to do is make him aware of his sin and urge him to repent- that is what they said, after all. The article says that he had a partner, which suggests that he had no intention of changing his lifestyle- and his own social media post (in the article) proves it. His church found it problematic that he didn't desire to change and ousted him. Whether that was the right move I won't comment on, but that seems to have been their rationale- calling the church "homophobic" falls short of acknowledging the goal of their actions.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since when is it loving to accept someone who is outwardly sinning without any regard for God's Word and asking a church to condone it? Since there are other weaker churches who would accept his behavior, let him go there. God condemns specifically those involved in sexual sin, one of the 7 He gives.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This Church did the right thing and the Biblical thing. (1 Corinthians 5 ) verse 13 "Expel the wicked man from among you".

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think the churh did love the guy, the sin of homosexuality, fornication, adultery, is a cancer to the body, as the bible instructs the church, remove the sin if it won't repent, he wanted the sin of homosexuality over salvation in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Holy Bible, which is God Holy, Infallible and Inerrant Word to the human race, says that homosexuality is an ABOMINATION and SIN. It matter ZERO what this wicked, sinful world thinks about this vile life-style, what ONLY matters, is what Almighty God says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think the churh did love the guy, the sin of homosexuality, fornication, adultery, is a cancer to the body, as the bible instructs the church, remove the sin if it won't repent, he wanted the sin of homosexuality over salvation in Jesus Christ.

You are welcome to your interpretation of scripture.

I'm just glad that the guy found a loving church that accepts him for who he is and does not punish him simply for being in a loving relationship.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Soo....contrary to the idea that was implied in the title of this thread, this person was NOT removed from membership simply for being a homosexual person.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm just glad that the guy found a loving church that accepts him for who he is and does not punish him simply for being in a loving relationship.
Homosexuality is unnatural, sexual perversion, I'm glad to see the biblical church in Dallas removed the individual, a good shepherd of the flock that pastor is.

God does not have rainbow flag churches, with practicing homosexuals in known membership or leadership.

"Wolves In Sheep's Clothing"

• Agree
Reactions: Thedictator
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟84,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if they expel those who commit adultery by divorcing and re-marrying?
:scratch:

They probably have a few shell-fish eaters who need correction as well. :sunglasses:
Homosexuality, Adultery, And Fornication, stand as sin in the bible I read, and should be treated the same.

Is divorce and remarriage while the spouse lives "Adultery"? Is Having sexual relations in this marriage "Fornication" also?

100% Yes

Is sexual relations outside of "Lawful Marriage" with opposite sexes "Fornication"?

100% Yes

Is sexual relations with the same sex "Fornication" & "Homosexuality"?

100% Yes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi God changes not and the values and morality in scriptures are not equal to cultural things which can change over time and from place to place. Jeremiah 23 Speaks of the LORD condemning false prophets and the measure of the false prophet was not turning people from their sins and saying they will have peace when they follow the dictates of their own heart. This is a latter days prophecy as it specifically says you will understand this then. Jesus was brought the woman caught in adultery and he was asked weather she should be stoned to death as was required by the law. Jesus said he who is without sin many cast the 1st stone and she was then left alone with Him. Jesus said I do not condemn you but go and sin no more. The choice was hers to repent or not. here is the quote form Jer 23
“For both prophet and priest are profane;
Yes, in My house I have found their wickedness,” says the LORD.
12 “Therefore their way shall be to them
Like slippery ways;
In the darkness they shall be driven on
And fall in them;
For I will bring disaster on them,
The year of their punishment,” says the LORD.
13 “And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria:
They prophesied by Baal
And caused My people Israel to err.
14 Also I have seen a horrible thing in the prophets of Jerusalem:
They commit adultery and walk in lies;
They also strengthen the hands of evildoers,
So that no one turns back from his wickedness.
All of them are like Sodom to Me,
And her inhabitants like Gomorrah.
15 “Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets:
‘Behold, I will feed them with wormwood,
And make them drink the water of gall;
For from the prophets of Jerusalem
Profaneness has gone out into all the land.’ ”
16 Thus says the LORD of hosts:
“Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you.
They make you worthless;
They speak a vision of their own heart,
Not from the mouth of the LORD.
17 They continually say to those who despise Me,
‘The LORD has said, “You shall have peace” ’;
And to everyone who walks according to the dictates of his own heart, they say,
‘No evil shall come upon you.’ ”
18 For who has stood in the counsel of the LORD,
And has perceived and heard His word?
Who has marked His word and heard it?
19 Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD has gone forth in fury—
A violent whirlwind!
It will fall violently on the head of the wicked.
20 The anger of the LORD will not turn back
Until He has executed and performed the thoughts of His heart.
In the latter days you will understand it perfectly.
21 “I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran.
I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.
22 But if they had stood in My counsel,
And had caused My people to hear My words,
Then they would have turned them from their evil way
And from the evil of their doings.

This church loved that man by letting him know he is on the wrong side of the line if he repents he would be welcome back.

• Winner
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They probably have a few shell-fish eaters who need correction as well. :sunglasses:

I was wondering about that, too. And how about the sin of lust? I'm sure they wouldn't have much of congregation if all of these sinners were expelled.

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Matt. 5:28

I'm reminded of another passage from Matthew:

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

Matt. 7:3-5

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was wondering about that, too. And how about the sin of lust? I'm sure they wouldn't have much of congregation if all of these sinners were expelled.

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Matt. 5:28

I'm reminded of another passage from Matthew:

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

Matt. 7:3-5

Good job of taking every one of those verses out of context, and falsely applying them.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes, there are Churches who obey God's commands and will stand with Jesus Christ in Salvation, Unlike some of the mainline Churches who have decided to follow the sinful world into damnation.

My church does did-fellowship people for Divorce and remarriage.

• Agree
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,560.00
Faith
Pentecostal

The churches that do that are walking in disobedience to God. As is any church that allows people who claim to be believers to be actively sinning to remain a part if the body. God will remove his presence and blessing from that church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.