British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! After lurking around these parts for some time now, I've decided to create an account and submit something of an introductory thread. I'd also like to thank everyone (especially you regular posters) for all the interesting and insightful commentary provided here on all sorts of topics, which have proved useful to me during the past few months; having no close Christian friends (isolation on top of isolation, considering social restrictions in these days), the thoughts and ideas expressed here by such a wonderful (and even entertaining!) cast of characters have been quite helpful, as regards my continually-growing understanding of, and staying grounded in, the mind of the Church.

But enough about me! As the title hints, I would like to hear from you about the obstacles to faith (or the practice of your faith) in your daily lives. What are some of the difficulties you grapple with, that complicate otherwise simple things or force you to struggle more than you might prefer to?

I'm rather slothful, and it's far too easy for my mind to wander when I need it to focus most. I find even toilet seats more comfortable than they ought to be. What are your personal obstacles?

Edit: To be a little more specific about a wandering mind and how it is an obstacle for me--I read a lot, and sometimes the things I read will raise a question, or call to remembrance a past misdeed. The former, justified (in my irrational head) by its relevance to the reading material, can lead to chain of inquiry that ends up somewhere between the moon and Pluto; the latter, to a losing of self in deep rumination. And given my aforementioned laziness... it can be pretty hard to stop the train in its tracks.

Last edited:

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have to say that I do not think I have obstacles to belief of our Orthodox Christian faith. Still, there are obstacles to living out this faith in love of God & neighbor & living by the golden rule ( Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:1-12 etc.) within this framework. These are my sinful shortcomings ( fear, anger, conflict, etc. at times).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxWanderer

May 4, 2020
NSEW
✟77,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello Ezana and welcome!

Like Lukaris, I don't really have obstacles to faith itself. But, hoo-boy do I have obstacles to living my faith. My biggest challenge is just consistent prayer. I don't know why I can sometimes let myself get so slack about it. It's the best thing I could possibly do for myself and others, why do I struggle so much??

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello! After lurking around these parts for some time now, I've decided to create an account and submit something of an introductory thread. I'd also like to thank everyone (especially you regular posters) for all the interesting and insightful commentary provided here on all sorts of topics, which have proved useful to me during the past few months; having no close Christian friends (isolation on top of isolation, considering social restrictions in these days), the thoughts and ideas expressed here by such a wonderful (and even entertaining!) cast of characters have been quite helpful, as regards my continually-growing understanding of, and staying grounded in, the mind of the Church.

But enough about me! As the title hints, I would like to hear from you about the obstacles to faith (and the practice of your faith) in your daily lives. What are some of the difficulties you grapple with, that complicate otherwise simple things or force you to struggle more than you might prefer to?

I'm rather slothful, and it's far too easy for my mind to wander when I need it to focus most. I find even toilet seats more comfortable than they ought to be. What are your personal obstacles?

Welcome to the forum, I hope the word of God keeps growing within you and the holy ghost keeps revealing you truth. I pray our Father be close to you to teach everything you need to know about him.

My biggest problem growing in the faith, I would say its my pride and my fear of my brethren falling into apostasy. It is a bad combination, since I feel it very personal when people diminish what our lord Jesus Christ did for us in the cross.

Reactions: Ezana
Upvote 0

windwhistler

Oct 21, 2020
Midwest
✟18,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezana, if I understand what you mean: you have a questioning mind? And it takes off leading you on tangents. I don't think it's laziness that keeps it going. For me, when I finally realize how futile it is or even that it's dragging me down, I sort of shake it off the way a dog shakes rain off its fur and turn to something else. Sometimes it can be a good thing if it leads to deeper understandings.

I've got other hurdles of course - when one seems to become better controlled, the Lord points out two more and the battle continues. Which is why one of the best things I look forward to when going to meet the Lord, comes from the scripture, "when we see him, we will be like him."

Welcome from one newbie to another. May God bless you as he leads you on this wonderful narrow road.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ezana
Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟28,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome! I've done better with a wandering mind thing myself with Fr Thomas Hopko's Maxim in my head "stop trying to figure things out"* and some other old saying "do one thing at a time". Those combined help quite a bit.

If I need to "figure things out" I make sure I'm writing (pen or keyboard), so I have to move around, and I am not caught in my head "multitasking". It normally turns out it's not that important to "figure out."

I'm a Catechumin, so some areas of faith are grey for me, but I'm trying to let go of the old feeling of needing to rationalize all things and give with "own stamp of approval."

Pride is my worst (right now) struggle, and I habitually I create 'scenarios' in my imagination where I 'win' arguments with others, and then end up judging the caricature and feeling haughty.

*37. Flee imagination, analysis, figuring things out.
Fr. Thomas Hopko: 55 Maxims for Christian Living

This article references a few more maxims:
Doing the Good You Can Do - Glory to God for All Things

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have to say that I do not think I have obstacles to belief of our Orthodox Christian faith. Still, there are obstacles to living out this faith in love of God & neighbor & living by the golden rule ( Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:1-12 etc.) within this framework.

Always appreciate your references to Scripture. My old high school philosophy teacher would say that life is simple, but ain't easy; I can't help but be reminded of that whenever I read Christ's teachings in the gospels.

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello Ezana and welcome!

Like Lukaris, I don't really have obstacles to faith itself. But, hoo-boy do I have obstacles to living my faith. My biggest challenge is just consistent prayer. I don't know why I can sometimes let myself get so slack about it. It's the best thing I could possibly do for myself and others, why do I struggle so much??

Thank you! And boy, do I feel that. I came across a quote from a western (post-schism) saint the other day that really hit me upside the head about such regressive behaviour (which I am 110% guilty of). Referring to penitents who forsake sin without forsaking the sinful affection that lead to the sin, St. Francis de Sales wrote: "They are like a sick man who abstains from eating melon when the doctor says it would kill him, but who all the while longs for it, talks about it, bargains when he may have it, would at least like to just sniff the perfume..."

Perhaps it was the thought of melons killing people that made it resonate with me, but it perfectly captured the idea of doing exactly that which you know to be ruinous to yourself. Do you find that there's a sort of trigger or cause for slackness in your case? Too much screen-time is a big one in mine.

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
for me it's my pride.

Speaking as a younger, more inexperienced person: have you found that with age and experience, the nature of your struggle with pride (or any other passion) has changed in any way? Or is it more or less the same grind, the same battles each day?

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome! I've done better with a wandering mind thing myself with Fr Thomas Hopko's Maxim in my head "stop trying to figure things out"* and some other old saying "do one thing at a time". Those combined help quite a bit.

If I need to "figure things out" I make sure I'm writing (pen or keyboard), so I have to move around, and I am not caught in my head "multitasking". It normally turns out it's not that important to "figure out."

I'm a Catechumin, so some areas of faith are grey for me, but I'm trying to let go of the old feeling of needing to rationalize all things and give with "own stamp of approval."

Pride is my worst (right now) struggle, and I habitually I create 'scenarios' in my imagination where I 'win' arguments with others, and then end up judging the caricature and feeling haughty.

*37. Flee imagination, analysis, figuring things out.
Fr. Thomas Hopko: 55 Maxims for Christian Living

This article references a few more maxims:
Doing the Good You Can Do - Glory to God for All Things

Thank you! That's a really good tip--sitting down to write if there's something on my mind; I'm sure at least 90% of my tangent thoughts wouldn't be worth making that effort.

I go for long walks with an agnostic buddy of mine every week or two, and we often talk about religion. It's not my intention to convert or pressure him to believe (though it has been at one point), but here's the thing: often, when I read or hear something that is particularly enlightening or profound, I get an immediate urge to share it with him, in an "If I only explain it like THIS!" sort of way. Annoyingly invasive, as it almost always occurs when my eyes are opened to something I'm meant to apply to my own life. Likely a pride issue as well, I think.

Thanks a bunch for the links! Those maxims are actually really helpful, and probably worth constant re-reading.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Speaking as a younger, more inexperienced person: have you found that with age and experience, the nature of your struggle with pride (or any other passion) has changed in any way? Or is it more or less the same grind, the same battles each day?

for me, it depends on what I am being proud about.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could list a myriad of particular things, but I think that they all boil down to making priorities, and how I do that very poorly. Either I make a little extra time in the morning, or I don't. Either I make a little extra time in the evening, or I don't. Either I am willing to suffer a very little bit to forego something enjoyable/pleasurable but cosmically meaningless, or I'm not.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

OrthodoxWanderer

May 4, 2020
NSEW
✟77,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! And boy, do I feel that. I came across a quote from a western (post-schism) saint the other day that really hit me upside the head about such regressive behaviour (which I am 110% guilty of). Referring to penitents who forsake sin without forsaking the sinful affection that lead to the sin, St. Francis de Sales wrote: "They are like a sick man who abstains from eating melon when the doctor says it would kill him, but who all the while longs for it, talks about it, bargains when he may have it, would at least like to just sniff the perfume..."

Perhaps it was the thought of melons killing people that made it resonate with me, but it perfectly captured the idea of doing exactly that which you know to be ruinous to yourself. Do you find that there's a sort of trigger or cause for slackness in your case? Too much screen-time is a big one in mine.
For me, it's using busyness and exhaustion as an excuse and slacking from there. It starts by my saying to myself "I'm too tired tonight, and I have to get up so early tomorrow morning, I'll just skip it tonight". Then I oversleep a little or something will cause me to run a little late, and now I've skipped my morning prayers too... being too busy for God?? It isn't ok but in the moment I justify it. Very ashamed that I do this.

That quote from St. Francis de Sales cuts deep. It is like we are all spiritual drug addicts who are "clean" but deep down we still prefer our "hit", given a choice. :(

Upvote 0

windwhistler

Oct 21, 2020
Midwest
✟18,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezana, you didn't ask me, but I couldn't help but think of my own struggles with pride. It's tentacles reach out and touch so many parts of our walk. I think of it as a snake that creeps up behind me shooting a toxic prideful thought into my head. It has changed with time as I more often recognize it quickly and quickly repent.

As for struggles with sin, God works differently in each one (and with each person). A couple of times I've prayed for him to take it away and he instantly did. Normally I have to repent and pray a lot. At first I would fall and only realize it after the fact. Then the Holy Spirit started to remind me just before I fell and the urge was so strong, I fell anyhow. As God strengthened me I became more able to resist. The battle never ends in the sense that the more we grow in our love for Jesus, the more sensitive we become and see areas of our life that need to change. Regardless, in the almost fifty years I've known him as Savior, even in the darkest of times, I've never wanted to back to the emptiness of life without our triune God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome...
Like many of the others my struggles surround my attempt at living out my Orthodox life. I'm not a very good time manager and I often find myself wasting time while neglecting my spiritual health. Usually I react with a harsh prayer rule that is not feasible. This creates even more despair. I'm learning to accept my limits and to follow the prayer rule my Spiritual Father suggests. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome

For me one thing that jumps to mind is actually praying. Or even just saying my prayer rule while *paying attention* to it. Lots of times I rush through it and don’t pay much attention

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ezana,

Welcome to the site. I hope your time here is edifying. :)

Right now the biggest challenge is the bubble. My lifestyle and work reinforce remaining within a small cluster. I don't look outside that circle. God brings elements into my life to create more diversity and offset the imbalance. That's one of the reasons I come here. To be exposed to things I won't encounter elsewhere. So I won't be totally out of touch and unrelatable.

Since you asked about the past, I was a serious Type-A hard charging workaholic. I'm still goal-driven. But I move at a different pace and know how relax. That isn't a problem anymore.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I could list a myriad of particular things, but I think that they all boil down to making priorities, and how I do that very poorly. Either I make a little extra time in the morning, or I don't. Either I make a little extra time in the evening, or I don't. Either I am willing to suffer a very little bit to forego something enjoyable/pleasurable but cosmically meaningless, or I'm not.

It's definitely difficult for me too, even when I have plenty of time on my hands, in which case my inclination to laziness is something of an extenuating circumstance. Would you say that you find prioritization challenging for internal reasons? Or is it more of a response to external pressures?

Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For me, it's using busyness and exhaustion as an excuse and slacking from there. It starts by my saying to myself "I'm too tired tonight, and I have to get up so early tomorrow morning, I'll just skip it tonight". Then I oversleep a little or something will cause me to run a little late, and now I've skipped my morning prayers too... being too busy for God?? It isn't ok but in the moment I justify it. Very ashamed that I do this.

That quote from St. Francis de Sales cuts deep. It is like we are all spiritual drug addicts who are "clean" but deep down we still prefer our "hit", given a choice. :(

I think that's pretty accurate. That image also works as regards the spiritual withdrawal symptoms we must endure before we reach any semblance of complete purification. We must only restrain ourselves from our respective melons when desires for their sweet juices entice us. Thank God that the night is not forever! Psalms 30:5

Upvote 0