Daily devotional: from Maranatha

O

OntheDL

Auguest 4
Christ Our Helper and Redeemer

As by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Romans 5:19.

Because man fallen could not overcome Satan with his human strength, Christ came from the royal courts of heaven to help him with His human and divine strength combined. Christ knew that Adam in Eden, with his superior advantages, might have withstood the temptations of Satan, and conquered him. He also knew that it was not possible for man, out of Eden, separated from the light and love of God since the Fall, to resist the temptations of Satan in his own strength. In order to bring hope to man, and save him from complete ruin, He humbled Himself to take man's nature, that, with His divine power combined with the human, He might reach man where he is. He obtains for the fallen sons and daughters of Adam that strength which it is impossible for them to gain for themselves, that in His name they may overcome the temptations of Satan. . . .

Adam and Eve in Eden were placed under most favorable circumstances. . . . They were without the condemnation of sin. . . . The Author of their existence was their teacher. But they fell beneath the power and temptations of the artful foe. Four thousand years had Satan been at work against the government of God, and he had obtained strength and experience from determined practice. Fallen men had not the advantages of Adam in Eden. They had been separating from God for four thousand years. The wisdom to understand, and power to resist, the temptations of Satan had become less and less, until Satan seemed to reign triumphant in the earth. Appetite and passion, the love of the world and presumptuous sins, were the great branches of evil out of which every species of . . . corruption grew.

Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ, will be received into the Paradise of God.

Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments, will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression.

O

OntheDL

The Straight Testimony Produces a Shaking
I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen, and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this will cause a shaking among God's people.---LDE, p176

:)

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

Sorry for late devotional, had a busy day.

Augest 5
High Spiritual State Attainable

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy. Jude 24.

Christ was obedient to every requirement of the law. . .

By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah.

Through the plan of redemption, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong.

The strongest temptation is no excuse for sin. However great the pressure brought to bear upon the soul, transgression is our own act. It is not in the power of earth or hell to compel any one to sin. The will must consent, the heart must yield, or passion cannot overbear reason, nor iniquity triumph over righteousness.

If you will stand under the bloodstained banner of Prince Emmanuel, faithfully doing His service, you need never yield to temptation; for One stands by your side who is able to keep you from falling.

We need not retain one sinful propensity. . . . [Ephesians 2:1-6 quoted.] . . .

As we partake of the divine nature, hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong are cut away from the character, and we are made a living power for good. Ever learning of the divine Teacher, daily partaking of His nature, we cooperate with God in overcoming Satan's temptations. God works, and man works, that man may be one with Christ as Christ is one with God. Then we sit together with Christ in heavenly places. The mind rests with peace and assurance in Jesus.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

I'm really enjoying these OntheDL, please continue to post them.

I guess this is as good a place as any to mention this....

When I joined the Adventist church I had basically read the fundamental beliefs and said "AMEN", which is something I wasn't able to do when I read the beliefs (or lack thereof) from other churches.

But honestly I didn't study Adventist theology in great detail before I joined. I knew the fundamentals and I was convinced.

As I dig deeper into the teachings, I'm still so happy to have found a faith that garnered exactly what I did when I read scripture on my own.

Every time something like this is posted, or a quote from EGW comes up in conversation, I always think "praise the Lord, I totally believe that TOO".

It's a very reassuring feeling, and such a wonderful relief to have finally found a church "home" led by Christ filled with people that feel exactly like I do.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

I'm really enjoying these OntheDL, please continue to post them.

I guess this is as good a place as any to mention this....

When I joined the Adventist church I had basically read the fundamental beliefs and said "AMEN", which is something I wasn't able to do when I read the beliefs (or lack thereof) from other churches.

But honestly I didn't study Adventist theology in great detail before I joined. I knew the fundamentals and I was convinced.

As I dig deeper into the teachings, I'm still so happy to have found a faith that garnered exactly what I did when I read scripture on my own.

Every time something like this is posted, or a quote from EGW comes up in conversation, I always think "praise the Lord, I totally believe that TOO".

It's a very reassuring feeling, and such a wonderful relief to have finally found a church "home" led by Christ filled with people that feel exactly like I do.

A big :amen: to that. As bad as things have looked on this forum and in the local churches, God has reserved for Himself a remnant. That's the reason I'm still a SDA because of the doctrines. We are more of a movement than a denomination.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

Augest 6

Reaching the Height of Christian Perfection

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us. Eph. 3:20.

If you make God your strength, you may, under the most discouraging circumstances, attain a height and breadth of Christian perfection which you hardly think it possible to reach Your thoughts may be elevated, you may have noble aspirations, clear perceptions of truth, and purposes of action which shall raise you above all sordid motives. {Mar 226.1}

Both thought and action will be necessary if you would attain to perfection of character. While brought in contact with the world, you should be on your guard that you do not seek too ardently for the applause of men and live for their opinion. . . . Cultivate the grace of humility, and hang your helpless souls upon Christ. . . . In the midst of confusion and temptation in the worldly crowd you may, with perfect sweetness, keep the independence of the soul. {Mar 226.2}

If you are in daily communion with God you will learn to place His estimate upon men, and the obligations resting upon you to bless suffering humanity will meet with a willing response. You are not your own; your Lord has sacred claims upon your supreme affections and the very highest services of your life. He has a right to use you, in your body and in your spirit, to the fullest extent of your capabilities, for His own honor and glory. Whatever crosses you may be required to bear, ... you are to accept without a murmur. . . . {Mar 226.3}

Many are without God and without hope in the world. They are guilty, corrupt, and degraded, enslaved by Satan's devices. Yet these are the ones whom Christ came from heaven to redeem. They are subjects for tenderest pity, sympathy, and tireless effort; for they are on the verge of ruin. They suffer from ungratified desires, disordered passions, and the condemnation of their own consciences; they are miserable in every sense of the word, for they are losing their hold on this life and have no prospect for the life to come. {Mar 226.4}

You have an important field of labor, and you should be active and vigilant, rendering cheerful and unqualified obedience to the Master's calls. {Mar 226.5}

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

August 7

Perfection in the Human Sphere

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matt. 5:48.

Our Saviour understood all about human nature, and He says to every human being. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." As God is perfect in His sphere, so man is to be perfect in his sphere. Those who receive Christ are among the number to whom the words so full of hope are spoken. "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." These words declare to us that we should be content with nothing less than the best and highest character, a character formed after the divine similitude. When such a character is possessed, the life, the faith, the purity of the religion, is an instructive example to others. {Mar 227.1}

But those who are waiting to behold a magical change in their characters without determined effort on their part to overcome sin, will be disappointed. We have no reason to fear while looking to Jesus, no reason to doubt but that He is able to save to the uttermost all that come unto Him; but we may constantly fear lest our old nature will again obtain the supremacy, that the enemy shall devise some snare whereby we shall again become his captives. We are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God that worketh in you to will and to do of His good pleasure. With our limited powers we are to be as holy in our sphere as God is holy in His sphere. To the extent of our ability, we are to make manifest the truth and love and excellence of the divine character. As wax takes the impression of the seal, so the soul is to take the impression of the Spirit of God and retain the image of Christ. {Mar 227.2}

We are to grow daily in spiritual loveliness. We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine pattern. We shall often have to bow down to weep at the feet of Jesus, because of our shortcomings and mistakes; but we are not to be discouraged; we are to pray more fervently, believe more fully, and try again with more steadfastness to grow into the likeness of our Lord. As we distrust our own power, we shall trust the power of our Redeemer, and render praise to God, who is the health of our countenance, and our God. {Mar 227.3}

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
O

OntheDL

Augest 8

Chap. 220 - Honorable in Motive and Action

Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Eph. 4:32.

Principle, right, honesty, should ever be cherished. Honesty will not tarry where policy is harbored. They will never agree; one is of Baal, the other of God. The Master requires His servants to be honorable in motive and action. . . . Those who choose honesty as their companion will embody it in all their acts. To a large class, these men are not pleasing, but to God they are beautiful. {Mar 228.1}

Satan is working to crowd himself in everywhere. He would put asunder very friends. There are men who are ever talking and gossiping and bearing false witness, who sow the seeds of discord and engender strife. Heaven looks upon this class as Satan's most efficient servants. But the man who is injured is in a far less dangerous position than when fawned upon and extolled for a few of his efforts which appear successful. The commendation of apparent friends is more dangerous than reproach. {Mar 228.2}

Every man who praises himself brushes the luster from his best efforts. A truly noble character will not stoop to resent the false accusations of enemies; every word spoken falls harmless, for it strengthens that which it cannot overthrow. The Lord would have His people closely united with Himself, the God of patience and love. All should manifest in their lives the love of Christ. Let none venture to belittle the reputation or the position of another; this is egotism. . . . {Mar 228.3}

Never speak disparagingly of any man, for he may be great in the sight of the Lord, while those who feel great may be lightly esteemed of God because of the perversity of their hearts. Our only safety is to lie low at the foot of the cross, be little in our own eyes, and trust in God; for He alone has power to make us great. . . . {Mar 228.4}

The judgment and ability of all are needed now. Every man's work is of sufficient importance to demand that it be performed with care and fidelity. One man cannot do the work of all. Each has his respective place and his special work, and each should realize that the manner in which his work is done must stand the test of the judgment. {Mar 228.5}

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Every man who praises himself brushes the luster from his best efforts. A truly noble character will not stoop to resent the false accusations of enemies; every word spoken falls harmless, for it strengthens that which it cannot overthrow. The Lord would have His people closely united with Himself, the God of patience and love. All should manifest in their lives the love of Christ. Let none venture to belittle the reputation or the position of another; this is egotism. . . . {Mar 228.3}

I noticed when Christ was being tempted that He always replied to satan with "it is written."

What do you do, when you do the exact same thing and someone replies with "that text doesn't mean what you want it to mean?"

And after you've given scripture, even if THEY don't believe scripture is inerrant, do you walk away?

I'm really unclear as to how to deal with scoffers when they will not heed to the Word of God.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

I think it's a very delicate matter...

From the apostle of love

2 John 1
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

And Peter quoting Proverbs called them dogs eating their own vomit.

2 Peter 2
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Then I remember Jesus said to love your enemies and bless those who curse you.

From Steps to Christ p12:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jesus did not suppress one word of truth, but He uttered it always in love. He exercised the greatest tact and thoughtful, kind attention in His intercourse with the people. He was never rude, never needlessly spoke a severe word, never gave needless pain to a sensitive soul. He did not censure human weakness. He spoke the truth, but always in love. He denounced hypocrisy, unbelief, and iniquity; but tears were in His voice as He uttered His scathing rebukes. He wept over Jerusalem, the city He loved, which refused to receive Him, the way, the truth, and the life. They had rejected Him, the Saviour, but He regarded them with pitying tenderness. His life was one of self-denial and thoughtful care for others. Every soul was precious in His eyes. While He ever bore Himself with divine dignity, He bowed with the tenderest regard to every member of the family of God. In all men He saw fallen souls whom it was His mission to save. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Such is the character of Christ as revealed in His life. This is the character of God. It is from the Father's heart that the streams of divine compassion, manifest in Christ, flow out to the children of men. Jesus, the tender, pitying Saviour, was God "manifest in the flesh." 1 Timothy 3:16.[/FONT]

I think we are supposed to always tell them the truth and at the same time still love them as Jesus would with any sinners. Very hard to do at times I know.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

OntheDL, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, because it is something I definitely struggle with personally.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

I don't know how to get past verses like that, and all the verses where Christ said "it is written....."

How do you bridge a gap such as someone saying "some of scripture isn't inspired" and then the person professes to know WHICH parts "those" are exactly?

I liked this quote:
Every man who praises himself brushes the luster from his best efforts.

It sometimes appears to me that people really are professing to have it all figured out, or at least that they have the authority to tell someone they're absolutely WRONG.

Where does that kind of thing come from? Ego?

I think it's very possible for people to "think" themselves right out of the gift of salvation.

Christ verifies the validity of scripture, so I don't know how any Christian could deny it as His Word.

Patience....I gotta work on that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
O

OntheDL

OntheDL, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, because it is something I definitely struggle with personally.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

I don't know how to get past verses like that, and all the verses where Christ said "it is written....."

How do you bridge a gap such as someone saying "some of scripture isn't inspired" and then the person professes to know WHICH parts "those" are exactly?

I liked this quote:

It sometimes appears to me that people really are professing to have it all figured out, or at least that they have the authority to tell someone they're absolutely WRONG.
The devil is a roaring lion seeking to deceive the very elect if it were possible. But it isn't.

The people are apostate endtime church of Laodicean are those who walk naked in the darkness. Rev 3:17 says they are in need of nothing. It applies spiritually that they don't want to learn anything.

Where does that kind of thing come from? Ego?

I think it's very possible for people to "think" themselves right out of the gift of salvation.
1 Cor 2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Jesus said not everyone who professes to be a christian will enter into heaven, not the Lord Lord people but those who do the will of the Father.

Sadly many of the people are not in the church, they have merely been to church. And when they were baptized, they were buried alive. the bible says to whom much is given, much is required. If they are not faithful with least of God requirement, why would God reveal onto them more secretes?

Christ verifies the validity of scripture, so I don't know how any Christian could deny it as His Word.

Patience....I gotta work on that one.

Slow to anger, easy to forgive...characters that we all have to acquire. But alot of times, we (myself included) forget they are not rejecting us, they are rejecting the Lord.

We should really take the story of Ezekiel to heart. God told him to study the Word until it became a part of him. Then told him to sit with the people to understand their needs, then asked to preach to them, told him they were not going to listen, but preach anyway. We forget our job is not to convert them, but to sound the trumpet. If we don't sound the trumpet, their blood will be on our hands.

Ellen White wrote about the 144000, that they will be scoffed at, persecuted but will endure all adversities without the intersession of Jesus until He comes. They will testify to them the perfect love Christ demonstrated even when He was on the cross. The wicked will try to kill them but can't until they finally fall at their feet to worship them. Did you know the 144000 will take Lucifer's forfeited position in heaven: the covering cherub??!!

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

1 Cor 2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Jesus said not everyone who professes to be a christian will enter into heaven, not the Lord Lord people but those who do the will of the Father.

Amen! It really can't get any plainer than that.

I do realize that some of scripture appears hazy, but things like WHO Jesus says will go to heaven....plain as day.

Sadly many of the people are not in the church, they have merely been to church. And when they were baptized, they were buried alive. the bible says to whom much is given, much is required. If they are not faithful with least of God requirement, why would God reveal onto them more secrets?

I've never heard it put quite like that before. Buried alive instead of dying to self.

Very powerful term, indeed!

Slow to anger, easy to forgive...characters that we all have to acquire. But alot of times, we (myself included) forget they are not rejecting us, they are rejecting the Lord.

You hit the nail right on the head there! I do have to realize that I'm merely a seed planter, and I can't do anything more than that. It is very, very sad to watch someone reject the Lord though.

We should really take the story of Ezekiel to heart. God told him to study the Word until it became a part of him. Then told him to sit with the people to understand their needs, then asked to preach to them, told him they were not going to listen, but preach anyway. We forget our job is not to convert them, but to sound the trumpet. If we don't sound the trumpet, their blood will be on our hands.

I cannot wait to get the Bible Study subfora set up so we can really go into stories like Ezekiel's, etc.

Amen, we need to sound the trumpet!!!

Ellen White wrote about the 144000, that they will be scoffed at, persecuted but will endure all adversities without the intersession of Jesus until He comes. They will testify to them the perfect love Christ demonstrated even when He was on the cross. The wicked will try to kill them but can't until they finally fall at their feet to worship them. Did you know the 144000 will take Lucifer's forfeited position in heaven: the covering cherub??!!

I didn't know that, and have often wondered about the 144,000. I did read some of the answers in Reddog's thread and it was really fascinating.

I didn't know enough about it to comment, but I definitely lurked.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

sorry, had a long busy day...

Auguest 9
Chap. 221 - Overcoming Bad Habits

Keep thyself pure. 1 Tim. 5:22.

To know what constitutes purity of mind, soul, and body is an important part of education. {Mar 229.1}

When the character is lacking in purity, when sin has become a part of the character, it has a bewitching power that is equal to the intoxicating glass of liquor. The power of self-control and reason is overborne by practices that defile the whole being; and if these sinful practices are continued, the brain is enfeebled and diseased, and loses its balance. Such ones are a curse to themselves and to all who have any connection with them. . . . {Mar 229.2}

Bad habits are more easily formed than good habits, and the bad habits are given up with more difficulty. The natural depravity of the heart accounts for this well-known fact--that it takes far less labor to demoralize the youth, to corrupt their ideas of moral and religious character, than to engraft upon their character the enduring, pure, and uncorrupted habits of righteousness and truth. Self-indulgence, love of pleasure, enmity, pride, self-esteem, envy, jealousy, will grow spontaneously, without example and teaching. In our present fallen state all that is needed is to give up the mind and character to its natural tendencies. In the natural world, give up a field to itself and you will see it covered with briers and thorns; but if it yields precious grain or beautiful flowers, care and unremitting labor must be applied. {Mar 229.3}

Now we present before you the necessity of constant resistance to evil. All heaven is interested in men and women whom God has valued so much as to give His beloved Son to die to redeem them. No other creature that God has made is capable of such improvement, such refinement, such nobility as man. Then when men become blunted by their own debasing passions, sunken in vice, what a specimen for God to look upon! Man cannot conceive what he may be and what he may become. Through the grace of Christ he is capable of constant mental progress. Let the light of truth shine into his mind and the love of God be shed abroad in his heart and he may, through the grace Christ has died to impart to him, be a man of power--a child of earth but an heir of immortality. {Mar 229.4}

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lainie,

Wittnessing to others who feel they are completely right, inspite of what you may show them from Scripture, is without doubt the most difficult thing that Christians need to learn how to deal with. When we get the Bible Study going I'll show you how the world's greatest salesman managed to do just that.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Bad habits are more easily formed than good habits, and the bad habits are given up with more difficulty. The natural depravity of the heart accounts for this well-known fact--that it takes far less labor to demoralize the youth, to corrupt their ideas of moral and religious character, than to engraft upon their character the enduring, pure, and uncorrupted habits of righteousness and truth. Self-indulgence, love of pleasure, enmity, pride, self-esteem, envy, jealousy, will grow spontaneously, without example and teaching. In our present fallen state all that is needed is to give up the mind and character to its natural tendencies. In the natural world, give up a field to itself and you will see it covered with briers and thorns; but if it yields precious grain or beautiful flowers, care and unremitting labor must be applied. {Mar 229.3}

Isn't that the truth?!! Bad habits are so easy to pick up and so hard to give up sometimes.

I noticed during the 15 months of my rebellion against God just how EASY it was to disobey the Sabbath commandment, start swearing again, start smoking again.....

It was way too easy!

Upvote 0