Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians are Joyful Sinners

Excerpt from Isaiah 6:1-5

"Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!"

Reflection by Martin B. Copenhaver

Does worship in your church include a prayer of confession? If so, it is probably near the beginning of the service. One reason for this placement is that God's presence reveals things to us. In God's clarifying presence we see things about our lives that we might not see otherwise. So when Isaiah had a dramatic encounter with God in the temple, his first response was confession. And it can be the same for us in our worship.

Some congregations no longer include a prayer of confession in their worship because the practice is considered too "negative." They contend that people have enough difficulties in their lives without the church adding to the burden. But confession is not about adding a burden. Quite the opposite. It is about being unburdened.Ultimately, there is no joy in denial. But there can be great joy in receiving forgiveness.

As Christians we don't need to traffic in denial. We can afford to be realists. We are free to face the truth about ourselves: good and bad are inextricably intertwined within us. Sometimes we act nobly, but even then our motivations can be mixed. This is not a hopeless admission. We are free to be realists because our hope is in God. In confession, we rely not on our own goodness, but on God's forgiveness. The God in whose presence we see our lives with jarring clarity at the same time shows us that we are loved, nonetheless.

Prayer

Dear God, when given a chance, I mess up. Sometimes, when not given a chance, I mess up anyway. So I am grateful that I do not have to rely on my own goodness, but rather on your forgiveness. Amen.

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found this in my inbox this morning after getting the devastating news that my nephew's father died over the weekend. He had been in and out of our lives due to drug addiction. He came from a close and loving family that never gave up on him. When he was clean...he was one of the nicest human beings I've known. I also know that when he was on drugs....he did a lot of bad things.

I was happy to be reminded that we rely on God's forgiveness. My prayer today is that Michael comes to know mercy and forgiveness at the hands of a loving and righteous God.

Prayers for my nephew Jared....he lost his earthly father but may he always know his heavenly Father.

Upvote 0