Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hey everyone... would anyone like to join me in discussion about the items in the daily bread... (which is one of the links below)?

Jan 3... Topic - Are you Exhausted?

I'm not working, and my life is not hectic... at the moment I can not relate to this daily bread message
redface.gif
. I realise that I can be doing more things in my life and therefore feel like I haven't lived up to my expectations... is this a bad thing?
frown.gif

"Is it possible that we as followers of Jesus Christ also approach life far too intensely? It seems that we often put ourselves under enormous pressure to succeed and to experience everything we possibly can. When we don't, we can't forgive ourselves for failing to measure up to our own expectations." - Daily Bread

If I don't feel like I've experienced everything I possibly can, I feel like I'm wasting my life... does anyone else feel like that or am I the only one?

Hi~
Well, I am positive you are not the only one feeling that way, but at the moment, I don't feel like I am wasting my life if I don't experience everything. But that is because of the stage of my life i am in right now. I also am only 29 (30 next week!) and I guess I feel like I also have a long time to experience things as well. Also, I have a new baby (she's a year now!), am getting ready to buy a new house, and start on baby #2. So I guess I feel like there is not much more to experience at this point. However, in 20 years, I am sure I will have a different answer, when my kids are grown.

But I am like you in that I do not feel to rushed, or hectic. I only work part time, stay home with my daughter. Even this past Christmas I did not feel rushed. I shopped when I was off work. So I also did not "connect" with this devotional today. I guess the one thing I did get from it though was even if I am not busy with work, cells, computers, etc, I still am not devoting enough time to the Lord. I do realize that. Even if I am lazy all day, and stay home with my daughter playing with her, I don't read my Bible more. Even if she takes a two hour nap! Gotta work on that!

Steph

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Thanks Steph, its always good to hear that I'm not the only one!! ^_^... I have to also work on the times where I KNOW I'm wasting time, to just sit down and read my bible too!

Today's daily bread... Jan 4 - Days of Doubt.

Well, hey, I can relate to this. I actually used to keep a diary of just my life, and God was in it... and when I look back on it, it really does revitalise my faith in God... especially in those times of dwindling faith... !

Upvote 0
Oh my gosh, what a great idea! I have never thought of keeping a journal paying attention to God's gifts. That would definately help me in times of doubt. I will start that today. I think I have an empty journal around here somewhere. If not, I'll get one. There are so many times I do question and doubt. I know this will help!

Onto today's Devotional....in next post.

Steph:p

Upvote 0
Todays Daily Bread
January 5, 2002

A Big Man Playing Small

I can totally relate to this one! I have such a hard time telling people I am a Christian. I do not hide it, but I do not go out on a limb to let people know I am born again. I am getting better than I was, but I still have a hard time witnessing. I guess I just feel "weird" doing it, and then I feel ashamed at feeling "weird". I think people will judge me as being this radical person. I feel horrible even admitting it. But when there is an opportunity to thank God in front of others, I do try to do that. Or I will comment that I "pray" about certain things. It is just hard to try and comment on salvation when I do say things like this. I mean, a lot of people have a "God", but it doesn't mean it is my God.

My hardest time is at work. My friends and family know I am Christian, so it is easy to profess my beliefs. It is just co-workers or strangers.

My other connection with this devotional is the fact that I need to act like a follower of Christ. I have a problem with my mouth! I gossip too much, and I cuss too much! It just slips out! I really have to work on that one!
;)

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Where did the daily bread link go.... argh!!

heh heh... I'm not really stressing out here...

Anyway... Steph, about that witnessing and telling people your christian etc... I do sometimes have a problem telling people I'm Christian. But when there is an opportunity to tell them, I usually will just say it. People constantly put me down, always question my belief, and basically sometimes give me a hard time - can you believe that these people are my friends and/or relatives! But I guess, in a way, at least they are interested (sort of :) ). With strangers, I only tell them if they ask or the opportunity comes up. But I wouldn't just say, "Hey, I'm a Christian..." out of nowhere, 'cos that's weird ^_^.

I'm still a shy kind of person and its hard for me to just go up to anyone and witness... but I seriously think that some people are more gifted than others in this area. So I think, in small little ways we could do things, just by saying, hey I'm a Christian... :)

Upvote 0
I agree with this devotional today. Whenever I pray I try to pray for things I want, or think I need, but I always ask for it according to God's will. I also am careful about what I pray for. I think sometimes God will teach us certain lessons after we pray for certain things. For instance, I pray a lot about staying grounded, and not being too materialistic. Well, not too long ago my husband lost his job and we struggled for a couple of months. This definately made me less materialistic. God definately looked out for us in the long run because my husband has an even better job now, but I did get my prayer answered!

Upvote 0
Proverbs 3
My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.[1]
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke,
because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father[2] the son he delights in.

Wow! I got a lot out of this today, not just how our youth are lead by the Lord, or how we as adults lead our kids. However, that is a very good point. I definately want my daughter to grow up knowing Jesus. It is my plan to have her attend Sunday School, and hopefully be involved in other Christian activities as she gets older. I'd love for her to do devotionals when she is older as well. I never did things like that growing up, and that is why I am so unfamiliar with His Word even now. I regret that.

These versus also make me think of my tithes. While I have debated what exactly I am supposed to tithe each week because of what some friends say, and because of what I personally have peace with, I do think it is important to give. Even if it is not to God's house each week, give to other Christian organizations, missionaries, orphanages, etc. The problem is the faith! I have to pray to have more faith when I am writing that check and know I have only 20.00 till the end of the week. How do my vats brim with new wine? Gotta work on that faith.....

I love the last verses. I truly believe the lord definately chastens those that He loves and are his. I have been chastened quite a lot! I learned the hard way, but at least I listened and learned.

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hey Steph, thanks for posting that verse... I read it and it really meant a lot to me too! For me, it was like helping me in making this BIG decision I have to make. It's true... I should not lean on my own understanding... and I should trust God that everything will turn out alright when I make the decision more focused on God...! Thanks!! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
FFX,
Our lot in life is not what we can experience, our job or even our appointed ministry.
What we as disciples of Christ is to be in God's
will. If it is to experience a certain thing or activity (sin excluded), then your lack of experience needs to be attended to. But if he says to rest, rest.
Just keep your eyes on God. He will provide more and greater experiences than you can ever imagine.

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi Solo66 man... yeah... I do understand what you are trying to say. I just felt like I wanted to live life to the fullest that's all... but as you said, if God did not intend it... then... oh well... I'll just have to deal with it then :) Oh, and when I say experience things... I didn't mean sinful things...

what did you mean by... "then your lack of experience needs to be attended to." (?) :confused: what lack of experience?

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Oh, I should have been more clear. I meant that if God intends that you should experience something,
then that should be attended to.
As far as the sin part, I did not intend to say you are planning to sin. I am sorry, no offense intended. As you can know, we do not know who is reading what we are writing here and their own interretations or misinterpretations.
God Bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
No its ok... really... ^_^ don't stress about it...

oh yeah, the picture is a chinese character used in mandarin and cantonese... but I think it is also a Japanese character (as Japan had adopted some chinese characters in their language). It says "ai" which means love. ^_^

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
From the Daily Bread 23rd Jan, 2002

A poem began taking shape in her yielded mind: "Thou art the Potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me after Thy will, while I am waiting, yielded and still." Eventually, in God's time, He allowed Pollard to minister in Africa, England, and across the United States.

God uses the person who sincerely prays, "Have Thine own way, Lord." Ask yourself: Am I letting the great Potter have His own way with me? —JEY

------------------

Gosh, how many times have I failed to just let God have His own way :rolleyes: . So often I find myself trying to do things using my own strength... :( which is usually more work and more worrying... rather than letting God in on the action too... and just to let Him have all our problems and worries...

:D

Let's have faith that God will transform us into something better, to Glorify His Name! ^_^...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.