"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/d...ital-standoff-that-saved-his-sons-life-is-fre

Dad who who saved son’s life by armed, three-hour hospital standoff is freed from prison

HOUSTON, TX, December 29, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) -- George Pickering the Third suffered a massive stroke last January. Doctors diagnosed the 27-year old as "brain dead," and the hospital ordered his life support progressively shut off in a fatal procedure they call "terminal wean."

But George's dad, George Sr., felt in his gut that his son could make it, despite the terminal prognosis. His son just needed more time.

Nevertheless, doctors told the family that George had no hope of recovery. Both George's mother and his brother agreed to take George off life support. Hospital staff even notified an organ donation organization that George's organs would be imminently available. (See article about organ donation posted below)

“They were moving too fast. The hospital, the nurses, the doctors,” George Sr. told KPRC. “I knew if I had three or four hours that night that I would know whether George was brain-dead.”

That's when George Pickering the Second did something dangerous, and illegal, which saved the life of his son.

George Sr. took a gun into Tomball Regional Medical Center, barricaded himself in with his son and began a three-hour standoff with staff and police, seeking to give George Jr. more time on life support.

Even after he was disarmed, the father remained barricaded in, and even threatened staff and officers, to buy George time on life support.

Then, after three hours, George Jr. surprised everybody --except his dad-- by squeezing his father's hand, on command, three times.

Read more:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/d...ital-standoff-that-saved-his-sons-life-is-fre

http://www.jbbardot.com/lose-sign-organ-donor-card-shocking/

What You Lose When You Sign That Organ Donor Card — Shocking!

Giving away your organs sounds noble, but have doctors blurred the line between life and death?

The last time I renewed my driver’s license, the clerk at the DMV asked if she should check me off as an organ donor. I said no. She looked at me and asked again. I said, “No. Just check the box that says, ‘I am a heartless, selfish bastard.'”

Doctors don’t have to tell you or your relatives what they will do to your body during an organ harvest operation because you’ll be dead, with no legal rights.

Becoming an organ donor seems like a win-win situation. Some 3.3 people on the transplant waiting list will have their lives extended by your gift (3.3 is the average yield of solid organs per donor). You’re a hero, and at no real cost, apparently.

But what are you giving up when you check the donor box on your license? Your organs, of course—but much more. You’re also giving up your right to informed consent. Doctors don’t have to tell you or your relatives what they will do to your body during an organ harvest operation because you’ll be dead, with no legal rights.

The most likely donors are victims of head trauma (from, say, a car or motorcycle accident), spontaneous bleeding in the head, or an aneurysm—patients who can be ruled dead based on brain-death criteria. But brain deaths are estimated to be just around 1% of the total. Everyone else dies from failure of the heart, circulation and breathing, which leads the organs to deteriorate quickly.

The current criteria on brain death were set by a Harvard Medical School committee in 1968, at a time when organ transplantation was making great strides. In 1981, the Uniform Determination of Death Act made brain death a legal form of death in all 50 states.

The exam for brain death is simple. A doctor splashes ice water in your ears (to look for shivering in the eyes), pokes your eyes with a cotton swab and checks for any gag reflex, among other rudimentary tests. It takes less time than a standard eye exam. Finally, in what’s called the apnea test, the ventilator is disconnected to see if you can breathe unassisted. If not, you are brain dead. (Some or all of the above tests are repeated hours later for confirmation.)

Here’s the weird part. If you fail the apnea test, your respirator is reconnected. You will begin to breathe again, your heart pumping blood, keeping the organs fresh. Doctors like to say that, at this point, the “person” has departed the body. You will now be called a BHC, or beating-heart cadaver.

Still, you will have more in common biologically with a living person than with a person whose heart has stopped. Your vital organs will function, you’ll maintain your body temperature, and your wounds will continue to heal. You can still get bedsores, have heart attacks and get fever from infections.

“I like my dead people cold, stiff, gray and not breathing,” says Dr. Michael A. DeVita of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. “The brain dead are warm, pink and breathing.”...

Read more:

http://www.jbbardot.com/lose-sign-organ-donor-card-shocking/

Reactions: brinny

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am an organ donor. Just as we have a few innocent people in jail, we will occasionally have someone misdiagnosed as brain dead. Is that a call to do away with the organ donation system? Not in my opinion. We all must make our own informed decisions. I feel the benefits far outweigh the minimal risks.

Would I want a loved one to risk their life, and the life of others? No. If I recovered, would I want to visit my family member in jail if I recovered any semblance of normalcy after being misdiagnosed? No. Would I want my family member to live the rest of their life as convicted felon? No. Would I do what this father did if it were my child? Yes, very likely I would. We each have to make our own choices and we each have to live with those decisions.

The blog mentions numerous times how we give up our choices, but as a brain dead person, we could not make choices even if they did present them us. Dead people cannot make informed consent decisions.

Dead people also have no say in the embalming process; which btw, is hideous and benefits no one.

It is vital to make our wishes know through a living will and a standard will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0