Da Vinci Code Movie/Cartoons -- Your Thots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
With all the recent uproar in the Muslim world about the cartoons, and how freedom of speech has gone too far, I wonder what your thots are about the Da Vinci Code.

To me, trying to convince people that Jesus had and affair with Mary Magdeline and that they bore a child is worse than the light-hearted cartoons not meant to be taken seriously. Afterall, P Mohammed never claimed to be God but Jesus did.

And while Christians may not burn flags or call for the beheading of Dan Brown, it doesn't mean that we don't care.

What are your thots anyway? Just want some WOF perspectives on this.

thanks

TreeOfLife

A son of God!
Aug 12, 2005
Alabama, USA
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Andrew said:
With all the recent uproar in the Muslim world about the cartoons, and how freedom of speech has gone too far, I wonder what your thots are about the Da Vinci Code.

To me, trying to convince people that Jesus had and affair with Mary Magdeline and that they bore a child is worse than the light-hearted cartoons not meant to be taken seriously. Afterall, P Mohammed never claimed to be God but Jesus did.

And while Christians may not burn flags or call for the beheading of Dan Brown, it doesn't mean that we don't care.

What are your thots anyway? Just want some WOF perspectives on this.

thanks

I wouldn't call for him to be beheaded. When I ask God to bless him with a brick that's what I want God aiming at! ;) :D

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I think the difference in it besides, being truth from error, is religion, and a person having the witness of the Holy Spirit. There's no need for us to have an uncontrolled uproar to prove our God exists and is true, or do we need to be offended. We find no need to make judgement of someone elses opinion, but we leave all judgement to the Lord. We don't feel threatened that truth won't survive, even if we don't. We have Gods Word on that. "Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but My Words shall never pass away. God does not need to be defended, He wants witnesses that God loves them, and are not offended to show it...About the movie, we have His word, outside of that, your liable to have every pre-conceived idea come out of mans mind. My choice, I wouldn't even see the movie.

Upvote 0

Preacherchick99

Feb 2, 2004
Anaheim, CA
Visit site
✟2,001.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read the book--It was really good! But the whole "Jesus loved Mary Magdeline and they had a love child" ghettoness was whack.

The movie looks really good too! But I don't think I'll go see it cuz I don't want to support something that is saying false things about Jesus like that.

Upvote 0
B

BushwigBill

Personally, I think it's just a story. Does Dan Brown even believe all that about Jesus being married? Sure, he twists some facts to spice things up, but only a real moron can read The Da Vinci code and honestly come out believing that Jesus had kids. Perhaps the author is at fault for encouraging these idiots, but can we really expect writers to do away with all forms of subtlety just because some people don't get it?

And this stuff about that little cartoon is absolutely ridiculous. "Fine, we were out of line during the crusades, but this touchyness about your religion really has to come to an end now." Do they honestly think it was a personal attack on Islam? I hear it wasn't even that funny.

Upvote 0
B

BushwigBill

Trish1947 said:
I think the difference in it besides, being truth from error, is religion, and a person having the witness of the Holy Spirit. There's no need for us to have an uncontrolled uproar to prove our God exists and is true, or do we need to be offended. We find no need to make judgement of someone elses opinion, but we leave all judgement to the Lord. We don't feel threatened that truth won't survive even if we don't. We have Gods Word on that. "Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but My Words shall never pass away. God does not need to be defended, He wants witnesses that God loves them, and are not offended to show it.

Well said. They do seem a little insecure about their beliefs, don't they?

Upvote 0

gitamerah

Sep 20, 2005
San Francisco
✟482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm praying that people will not be misled by this movie and have their faith in our Lord affected by it. Some of us are strong in our faith and can generally tell what's true or not. Unfortunately, some of us aren't that strong. For those of us who aren't as well versed in the Bible, or whose faith is not strong, something as big as the Da Vinci code could very well rock our foundation of faith.

I'm also praying that God will find a way to expose the untruthfulness in the Da Vinci code because it's very misleading to new believers and to non-Christians. As Christians, we may not need to feel that our faith is threatened by the lies that are in the Da Vinci code... but that doesn't mean that we should keep silent and give people the impression that the Da Vinci codes are true.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Trish1947 said:
I think the difference in it besides, being truth from error, is religion, and a person having the witness of the Holy Spirit. There's no need for us to have an uncontrolled uproar to prove our God exists and is true, or do we need to be offended. We find no need to make judgement of someone elses opinion, but we leave all judgement to the Lord. We don't feel threatened that truth won't survive, even if we don't. We have Gods Word on that. "Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but My Words shall never pass away. God does not need to be defended, He wants witnesses that God loves them, and are not offended to show it...About the movie, we have His word, outside of that, your liable to have every pre-conceived idea come out of mans mind. My choice, I wouldn't even see the movie.

What I don't get is this: Christians will whack other Christians when there is some disagreement in regard to doctrine, many of which aren't even important, calling one another false prophets, heretics etc.

But when someone actually strikes at the core of Christianity by saying all those things about Jesus, misrepresenting Christianity and misleading the uninformed non-believer who might be considering Christ, we keep pretty quiet.

The other thing is this: Should we see it merely as just another book/author -- "Well writers will be writers and they are free to write whatever they want" -- or is it something more -- ie spiritual/work of the devil.

If we recognise and discern it as the latter, should we just remain silent about it and say its only fiction? Just some thots.

I normall won't kick up a fuss, but becos of the recent cartoons uproar, I'm just wondering why one is allowed and the other is not.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Andrew said:
What I don't get is this: Christians will whack other Christians when there is some disagreement in regard to doctrine, many of which aren't even important, calling one another false prophets, heretics etc.

But when someone actually strikes at the core of Christianity by saying all those things about Jesus, misrepresenting Christianity and misleading the uninformed non-believer who might be considering Christ, we keep pretty quiet.

The other thing is this: Should we see it merely as just another book/author -- "Well writers will be writers and they are free to write whatever they want" -- or is it something more -- ie spiritual/work of the devil.

If we recognise and discern it as the latter, should we just remain silent about it and say its only fiction? Just some thots.

I normall won't kick up a fuss, but becos of the recent cartoons uproar, I'm just wondering why one is allowed and the other is not.
When they accused Jesus of doing miracles by the devil, He didn't strike them dead on the spot for blasphemy... But their day was coming, eventually.
One scipture we have is Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
People that mock God, do reap what they sow. People that do these things, have brought their own judgement upon themselves, unless they repent, wheather we have an uproar about it or not, people still reap what they sow. then we have Jesus telling us that:
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by [his] fruit.

Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

We can voice our disapproval, and I think we should, I don't think were supposed say nothing.. What does the word say, "For evil to flourish, let a righteous man do nothing." But even Jesus said they could speak all manner of sin and blasphemy against Him, and still be able to find repentance. Not so with the other religions, they want you beheaded. A good example of grace and mercy, vs. religion and forced compliance, or die by their hands.
Jesus said the Prince of this world is judged. This would enclude those that serve him. I know sometimes it don't look like it, but Jesus said this would require patience. Nobody decides IF Jesus is Lord and Christ. He IS Lord and Christ, wheather people rebel against Him, or have been shown the light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey folks,

I don't know if I've ever posted in here before but I saw the thread title and I would like to join this discussion.

Lately I have been reading about this book more and more. I feel like I may be called by the Lord to focus my efforts on exposing the falsehoods put forth in this book.

With a movie coming out, more people will be exposed to the lies, and as Christians we need to be prepared to defend the truth. Peter tells us that we must always be prepared to give a defense of our beliefs. We need to be informed.

The book makes outrageous claims at so many levels.

It attempts to:

- reidentify Jesus as a mere man
- accuse the early Church of "suppressing" the truth about Jesus
- says that the Council of Nicea was the first time that Jesus was called God, and that this was done by a pagan emperor named Constantine
- claims that Leonardo DaVinci, Isaac Newton, Boticelli, Victor Hugo and others have been, at different points, head of a secret society called the "Priory of Sion" which was created to protect the secret of Jesus and Mary Magdalene's "marriage"
- says that the Bible is not a trustworthy book, and that the "Gnostic gospels" hold the real truth
- accuses Christianity of pulling the greatest cover-up job in the history of the world.
-Claims that the name Jehovah was the crossing of the Hebrew words for "man" and "woman," meaning that God was really androgynous
- Claims that there is a female goddess counterpart to God the Father.

No doubt that as this book and movie gains in popularity, people who know you as a Christian will come to you and ask some of these questions.

Are you prepared with answers? Remember what Scripture instructs:
[bible]1 Peter 3:14-16[/bible]

Reactions: Kebisoni
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
hi ps139

It also claims that Jesus married Mary Magdelene and had kids and that His decendants are still around.

Does Dan Brown believe all that? Well, according to Carl Olson, author of the Da Vinci Hoax, he says in a podcast that Dan Brown said he would not change anything if it were to write it as non-fiction.

The podcast is very interesting:
http://www.stmichaelspod.com/podcasts/7_St_Michaels_31605.mp3

Anyone interested should listen to it.

BTW: Are the cartoons a big deal. YES, in the sense that it has caused churches to be burned and Christians killed (in Nigeria). If only the editors had excercised some maturity, responsibility and restraint, our brothers there would not have been killed. So yes, it is a big deal.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey Andrew,

Thanks very much for that link, I am going to listen to it. I actually just ordered the book you mentioned, by Carl Olson... I am waiting for it to be delivered to my house.

A Catholic missionary-priest in Turkey also got killed because of the cartoons... he was praying in church, the door was open, and someone shot and killed him. The murder admitted that he shot him in revenge for the cartoons.... such senseless violence!

Upvote 0

Kebisoni

Veteran
Jan 22, 2005
England
✟11,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've known new Christians read this book and fall away from faith - and "lukewarm" Christians have read it and it has added to their doubts - I think it is dangerous because it mixes truth with fantasy, historical fact with historical fiction and the line isn't easy for most people to draw.

I personally have no time for any book which tells lies about someone I love. Full stop. It makes money out of suggesting things which are not true about Jesus (and are intended to shock). It is not something I would condone any Christian spending their money on - or wasting their time reading or seeing.

Upvote 0

amdntstr

Feb 24, 2006
OH
✟7,786.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Andrew said:

For me the difference is that the bible says that all scriptures are good for instruction, reproof, rubuke, and teaching. But this is directed to believers. It is supposed to be done in a spirit of gentleness. I admit that I come off as harsh sometimes when I try to intruct, I am aggressive by nature. It is something that I am working on to improve. :)

But there is no point in using the Word to instruct non believers. We all have free will and they are free to do what they like. Now if he came in here claiming to be a christian and talks this stuff, then that would be a different story.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.