Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saw this discussion on another Christian board. The question being that was and is there a difference between visions and dreams. If so how does one differentiate between the two? The last question being have any here had or continue to have open visions that are given while being in a trance state?

Last edited:

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
A vision is just a dream people believe they've been "granted" by a higher power, typically having to do with the way things play out in the future but not always. Visions may or may not happen while asleep as well (assuming you believe in that kinda stuff, which I don't).

A dream is the literal biological act REM sleep. When you hit REM sleep, you dream (whether you remember it or not), that's how it works. A dream only happens during sleep and only during REM sleep where as a vision is 'otherwordly' or 'spiritual'.

People often confuse the two but I see them as completely distinct. I don't interpret my dreams because they're nothing more than my mind's biological goings-on.

Upvote 0

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The question being that was and is there a difference between visions and dreams. If so how does one differentiate between the two?
Some thoughts from my experience ...

Vision
- Generally while awake although I have had visions in dreams
(I have them nearly always as I am waking up)
- Often more vivid
- Often like looking through glasses
- Generally less aware of myself
- Often superimposed over a background
- The background is irrelevant (Usually our bedroom :) )
- Usually less aware of self in the vision
- For me visions are not like a video- they are usually still but sometimes the object moves in a direction
- "Young men" see visions

Dream
- Generally while sleeping
- Often less vivid
- Often participating
- Often acting out some scene or watching a scene being acted out
- The background or setting often has meaning
- Usually aware of self in the dream
- "Old men" dream dreams - perhaps suggesting they require more maturity in gifting to interpret

The last question being have any here had or continue to have open visions that are given while being in a trance state?
No. Although my wife might say this is how I watch TV :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Great list.

In my own experience, these two from the list are the way I tend to define them:

Visions
- For me visions are not like a video- they are usually still but sometimes the object moves in a direction

Dreams
- Often acting out some scene or watching a scene being acted out

I didn't realize I was doing that, but there is a clear distinction for me.

Very often my visions have symbols and images that seldom go through my mind, and strike me as very unusual. Then within a few minutes of thinking about them, understanding spreads out like a tent unfolding. It is almost always sure and clear to me, as though I knew exactly what tent was packed as soon as I started unrolling it.
At least half the time, I jump to attention in discerning them because I know -- I just know they are important.

In dreams, I sometimes feel more lost in knowing what's going on, as though I'm observing something God wants to bring to my attention. I may get a sense that an angelic presence is behind me, showing me the scene. And sometimes an impression to pray immediately for the situation and just trust that it's not my imagination.

Often after waking I will look up news and find that a decision is being made, something is going on, a crime was just committed but not resolved. These are totally, completely outside my own ability to know.

Compared with personal dreams, where I usually know what I'm stressed about, so the symbols of the stress jump into obvious position. In a God-breathed dream, there are usually things to look up afterward, and things to do.

(Hm maybe I should do more after my personal stress dreams too, lol.)

Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Two greatest commandements are to love.
Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts on the subject;
Dreams happen while sleeping. God given visions happen while awake (otherwise they are dreams).

The difference between visions and daydreams is that daydreams involve or reflect a personal issue or personal opinion of your own that is not from the divine, and is just you reflecting on an issue and/or exercising your imagination in order to solve it, or in order to picture or visualize how it will work it out in the end. Visions interrupt your natural thoughts, and are undoubtedly divine in nature. They contain wisdom from above and beyond your own natural mind. If an actual vision/revelation comes to you regarding your own life, it will contain information that you had not even considered, or that you do not humanly know or understand....there is divine written within it, and it brings about divine change. When that happens...you "feel" that in your spirit and know it, because it has God's perceptible mark all over it.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Old men" dream dreams - perhaps suggesting they require more maturity in gifting to interpret

I like FW's list, and the above was insightful. For me hte essential element of visions is that they are more literal than dreams. They may occur either in daytime or at night. The Bible even speaks of "visions of the night". I have had two very significant visions upon just falling asleep - it was as if the Lord could hardly wait to impart the message to me, but my defenses and static first had to be lowered.

I also had a day vision that overwhelmed me so much that I would have fallen to the ground, except I had enough presence of mind to direct my falling body onto a nearby bed in the room where I was working.

Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen the "visions in the night" in the Word, but find that it usually is referring to God given dreams.

I love hearing things of the Lord, Paul. Would you feel comfortable sharing your overwhelming vision that you had, that is...if it wasn't too personal?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I probably should keep it personal at this time. But the point I should have made is that all the visions were very literal. Even the simple visuals attached to each one required no interpretation. And a word was spoken, or was written out as part of the visual, that also was to be taken at face value.

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've experienced visions in a number of forms. The frequency comes and goes for me. There are times when I feel Im in a quiet phase of my life and suddenly a number of dreams and phrases will come to me.

I havn't had dreams where I hear a voice until the past several years. I've never cease to be amazed that when the Lord gives me words or phrases I can search the net and quickly come across a few possibilities that I continue to meditate on. It's relief to me when the Lord fully explains the dream or message. I wish that would happen more often.

I admit to frustration when I speak to trusted believers about what I've been shown and they shrug their shoulders or worse mock it. I feel sorry for them, because the Lord is speaking and it is a serious matter they do not at least pray and seek His wisdom over what is said. Other times I have to pray for forgivness as I get angry that I am following the Lord's instruction to inform and few listen and few care.

How many feel the weight of hearing from God and doing their level best to interpret gets heavy? Do you feel you are or arn't up to the task? Btw anyone familiar with Aurther Pink born in England in 1886?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Btw anyone familiar with Aurther Pink born in England in 1886?
Someone I know did some research into the time he was in Australia, visited some locations & walked in the footsteps of Arthur Pink :)

I don't know much about him tho. Is there anything in particular about him that interests you?

Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admit to frustration when I speak to trusted believers about what I've been shown and they shrug their shoulders or worse mock it. I feel sorry for them, because the Lord is speaking and it is a serious matter they do not at least pray and seek His wisdom over what is said. Other times I have to pray for forgivness as I get angry that I am following the Lord's instruction to inform and few listen and few care.

I am giving you a virtual hug...it was hard for the prophets of OT time too.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
GC said:
I can understand when forum strangers pop in and discredit visions, but when Christian friends do it in person, it's just sad. It leaves a person wondering whether their fellowship is seeking after God as much as they say they are.

At the simplest core of prophetic dreams, God is speaking to the believer. Even if the method seems questionable, or the amount of trust a person puts in their visions seems too strong, the simple fact is that the dreamer had a strong impression that God was speaking to them about a topic. And that is not something to be discouraged.

GC said:
How many feel the weight of hearing from God and doing their level best to interpret gets heavy?
I have had some that were heavy in themselves, weighing for a couple months -- not depression but a sobering view of future suffering.

Since most of mine have seemed to be about intercession needs, the responsibility weighs more heavily that I'd expect. There were very few that I felt I was instructed to talk with someone about, but many that I was just supposed to pray over and trust that my words activated the needed response.

I wished I could just unload many in the way one would unload after a stressful day, but some of these felt like unfounded gossip. And others I knew would not benefit anyone in telling -- but telling could be an attempt to elevate myself, or create a stir, create conversation.

I do wonder though if I might be squelching some that need to be heard.

A couple times when I did feel it proper to tell someone, they were involved in the situation and not necessarily Christian -- so saying, "hey I had a dream" put my own reputation at risk.

I would guess that the experience is different for each of us. It's unique to have a central place like this where believers who are involved with dreams and visions have gathered.

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

Visions:
Awake and can usually happen in meditation or in an atmosphere that is charged (like church service). Visions me are usually a foreshadowing of whats about to happen or a specific reminder of what God has spoken and He allows me to see a "glimpse" of it when it comes to pass. I once referred to it like watching TV in my mind. Lol.

Dreams:
Happen when I am sleep and they are for me, a form of God communicating with me for whatever reason. Be it for me, someone else or to push me towards intercession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

All4HISglory

Dreams come wherever I am sleep. If God wanted to speak to me through a dream and I was in CA, He would. Is that what you mean by location?

I generally have visions while in meditation or in a charged up atmosphere like service where the corporate praise/worship allow God to move freely. But thats not the only place. I guess where and when God is being exalted. So more frequently in those places (service & meditation) because God is being sought and lifted up.

Ive had visions in front of people in normal places but not as often as in services & meditation. For example, I could be standing, having a conversation with my husband in the kitchen and receive a vision. Driving down the street and receive a glimpse of something. I try to always be open to Gods use or "in touch" with Him.

I think that an important thing that I try to remember is that God communicates in different ways. It may be the same for some and different for others.

I use to get tripped up if God did something different with someone else and would start questioning who I am. Ya know? This past year I have been more confident and comfortable in just trusting in getting familiar with how He is with me. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Ive had visions in front of people in normal places but not as often as in services & meditation. For example, I could be standing, having a conversation with my husband in the kitchen and receive a vision. Driving down the street and receive a glimpse of something. I try to always be open to Gods use or "in touch" with Him.

I think that an important thing that I try to remember is that God communicates in different ways. It may be the same for some and different for others.
That would be an interesting addition to the thread -- whether people get more visions in congregational worship, solitude, or moving through the day.

I get other types of giftings in the charged room full of people in worship in prayer. I don't typically get visions there, though. Those come more often when I am alone in total quiet. Or as you described All4, getting a glimpse overlaid on a situation or person. I wonder what sort of mix others get.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

Ive had visions in services that would allow me to either intercede specifically for someone or to speak what God has shown me about a person.

For example, I received a vision of one our ministers and she was alone, praying, distraught, broken you name it. In the vision I could literally see Gods arm embrace her and begin to rock her but she continued on in prayer without knowing He was present. When it was time for the altar call, she went for prayer and I stood by for a while. When no one else went to her, I knew it was for me to pray. Through Gods grace of the vision, I was able to accurately speak to her spirit in a way that she knew that God was present and her comfort was on its way. It was amazing. Usually thats the purpose of the vision or its a glimpse of things to come for the ministry. An example of that was a vision I had of the current congregation (current at that time) and specific people who were purposely causing division and sowing discord despite warnings and instructions. The vision showed them all there and people wrapped up in chains and unable to break free. The ones who were sowing discord began to take their families one by one and leave. As each left anothers chain was broken until we were few in numbers but completely free of the chains. We were all running, leaping, hugging, shouting and praising God freely. When I told my Pastors anout the vision, it confirmed for them that the church was getting ready to go in another direction and was going to pluck out the lukewarm.

Visions that I recieve while with someone else have all been personal. Like seeing myself or loved one doing something. Like one time years ago when I first came to Lord, I had a vision of a little boy playing outside in a backyard. I went to the screen door and called "Jarail" and the little boy (like 3 or 4) came running and hugged me. I knew it was my son. Fast foward to today and I have a son named Josiah Romel.

Then the visions while in prayer are more "wider" then me. Usually about church members or events and I know that intercession is needed.

This is what has been my experience. As most of you know its all mostly for my little world. Church, family, work and self. It hasnt gone beyond that. I really like reading the visions and dreams on a greater scale. I think its all a testament to Gods power.

Upvote 0