Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
did any one read the posts? intresting to her the other side of the story.

Yes, I read them. I don't know if everything he wrote is true, but it certainly presents a different picture than the Adventist Church paints of him. I do think that he was treated unfairly, just as I believe Desmond Ford was mistreated in the way that the church administrators reacted to him. I can relate completely to Canright's experience of having doubts about Adventist doctrine and not being able to talk to anyone.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I read them. I don't know if everything he wrote is true, but it certainly presents a different picture than the Adventist Church paints of him. I do think that he was treated unfairly, just as I believe Desmond Ford was mistreated in the way that the church administrators reacted to him. I can relate completely to Canright's experience of having doubts about Adventist doctrine and not being able to talk to anyone.

ya I know what you mean, there are 2 sides to every story. I agree with you about the truthfull ness of the whole thing. but I do think it is "fluid" it explains alot. I dont thing he is the "devil" the Chruch paints him out to be. Just like DES Ford. I don't know if Des Ford is correct either, but people do tend to blindly follow what the sda chruch teaches and treat people how ever they want.

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
After debating/discussing with many formers on forums like Carm I can say that Canright hurt the adventist church a lot. Most formers who leave the church now become evangelicals who say the law is done away with and they are under grace. I have seen some of the most savage attacks against Sister White and many false claims that all SDA's hold her writings above the Bible.

Personally, I hold her writings to be inspired when she says she received light from the Lord on a particular subject. However, if she doesn't say that then I view her statements with as much validity as I would any good adventist pastor.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
We really need to know and understand how inspiration works.

Was EGW any less inspired that the writers of the Bible?

We know that some of the prophets got it wrong. Prophets like Nathan who told David to go ahead and build the temple and then had to come back and tell him not to build it.

Then the life style of some of them left a lo0t to be desired at times, even some of the better ones failed miserably.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After debating/discussing with many formers on forums like Carm I can say that Canright hurt the adventist church a lot. Most formers who leave the church now become evangelicals who say the law is done away with and they are under grace. I have seen some of the most savage attacks against Sister White and many false claims that all SDA's hold her writings above the Bible.

Personally, I hold her writings to be inspired when she says she received light from the Lord on a particular subject. However, if she doesn't say that then I view her statements with as much validity as I would any good adventist pastor.

God Bless
Jim Larmore
saying that canwright hurt the sda chruch is like saying Martin luther hurt the Catholic chruch, the argument is a moot point. This is a man who knew EGW personally and way not convinced and then was attacked for it. That is not to say that he was correct in every thing but I think The SDA church created him, by being extreamist in nature

Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
saying that canwright hurt the sda chruch is like saying Martin luther hurt the Catholic chruch, the argument is a moot point. This is a man who knew EGW personally and way not convinced and then was attacked for it. That is not to say that he was correct in every thing but I think The SDA church created hi, by being extreamist in nature

Also, if the Adventist Church is wrong about some things, it may hurt the church to expose them, but would it be any better to let them go on blindly teaching error?

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, if the Adventist Church is wrong about some things, it may hurt the church to expose them, but would it be any better to let them go on blindly teaching error?

Now that is a conclussion that one considers after one is almost convinced that many of the old doctrines are infact built upon a false premise. After one sees the straw, and how simple it is, you can't but think they know...after all, they are smart theologians. They are only hurting themselves if in fact they know...what about the teaching about strong delusions?

Adventtruth

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now that is a conclussion that one considers after one is almost convinced that many of the old doctrines are infact built upon a false premise. After one sees the straw, and how simple it is, you can't but think they know...after all, they are smart theologians. They are only hurting themselves if in fact they know...what about the teaching about strong delusions?

Adventtruth
I agree we have smart theologians, but so did the catholics, the were not just stupid people. By todays standard most Early Advent pioneers could not be SDA's , the nature of christ is taught different, they opposed the trinity.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The SDA church has become quite adept at demonizing certain individuals. They regard Canright the same way most people regard Idi Amin. It's just sickening. :sick:

I attended a prayer meeting at a conservative church during my vacation in Florida this year. The topic of the IJ came up and they said Desmond Ford's name in hushed tones as if even the mere mention of his name would bring a curse upon them or something! :doh:

What a bunch of ignorant rubes. I managed to stop laughing long enough at the preposterousness of it to leave the meeting in disgust.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are seriously confused. First of all, why are you reading from an anti-adventist site?

Last I heard it was a free country where we were able to read whatever we wanted. Just because some things are anathama to your mind does not mean that the rest of us are going to be intimidated into not taking into consideration ALL the facts, from whatever source they come from.

I have many anti-EGW/Adventist sites bookmarked on my computer.

Only a complete fool believes that you can get all the available information through biased, official SDA apologist channels. Please!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah, Canwrights' gift became his downfall. He was a great speaker. But he'd use it to win arguments not souls. A tortured soul that he was, repented 3 times and was received back to the church. Until finally he left and went to work for the Baptist church for the rest of his life. And we find him mourning at the EGW's funeral.

Oh sweet mercy! :doh:

This has to be the most biased, slanted take on Canright I have ever read. Complete spin-doctored propaganda!

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally Posted by OntheDL
Yeah, Canwrights' gift became his downfall. He was a great speaker. But he'd use it to win arguments not souls. A tortured soul that he was, repented 3 times and was received back to the church. Until finally he left and went to work for the Baptist church for the rest of his life. And we find him mourning at the EGW's funeral.

Much of Des Ford's arguments were regurgitated from Canwright. And almost every anti-EGW publication quotes from Canwright.

this statement is blatently false.

I counted 8 statements--which one is false and where is the evidence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is your test? Of what? And you will evenly apply it to the other 99%+ of God's children around the world?
don't you know that unless you are an SDA you are lost???

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I make a statement and it's called 'drama'.

You said, and I quote: "This has to be the most biased, slanted take on Canright I have ever read. Complete spin-doctored propaganda!" This is not a bare statement. It is "drama."

You see, I am sick and tired of being called a liar by you two.

I did not call you a liar--nor, has anyone else. But, now you are in making that claim.

Take the 'meat pledge' issue for example. I asserted it existed, was called a liar, it was shown that it indeed did exist, and I got not one apology from anyone for thier false charges.

I didn't give you an apology because I never called you a liar.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
don't you know that unless you are an SDA you are lost???

That is not a teaching of the SDA church--try over in the RCC forum--any current member, or former member, of the SDA church can tell you of sermons being delievered in which the pastor will pointedly note that there will be more members of other denominations in heaven than SDA because they are living up to the light they know.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.